PDA

View Full Version : Family estimate

DrGreenThumb
04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
How do you guys estimate work for family members with out loosing money cause of fuel prices and what not like that. I obviously don't want to burn my family but I want to get payed for the work that I do, I own the truck and all my machines, so overhead is not the issue. HELP!!!

Paulup
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
figure out how much it will cost you to do the job, figure whatever reasonable rate you want to earn for your time, add the two together and give them the price.

LushGreenLawn
04-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I would say...Dont.

It usually leads to trouble. If they are not close enough to do it for free (I.e. Mom and Dad, don't do all your relatives for free) then don't do it at all. I refer my relatives to another company that I trust.

Raking-It-In
04-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Dont do it !!! I have learned my lesson. They think you should do it for free and when they do decide they are gonna pay you it takes 4 f-en months ! :angry:

Tom Tom
04-16-2008, 06:50 PM
How do you guys estimate work for family members with out loosing money cause of fuel prices and what not like that. I obviously don't want to burn my family but I want to get payed for the work that I do, I own the truck and all my machines, so overhead is not the issue. HELP!!!

If I hired a family member, I would pay full price.

So, charge them full price + 10% aggravation factor.

landscaper22
04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Dont do it !!! I have learned my lesson. They think you should do it for free and when they do decide they are gonna pay you it takes 4 f-en months ! :angry:

Yeah, this is true. You get put in an awkward position with family. I wouldn't do it either. I too have learned my lesson (the hard way!)

DrGreenThumb
04-16-2008, 07:08 PM
The main point of this question is cause I put up a fence at my aunts house, it was 250ft of fence it came out great they are thrilled with the outcome, but I kinda feel bad cause I charged them $400 and it look me 4 hours making my labor rate $100 and hour though it was hard labor using a post digger. When I told them the price to do it I bid on it figuring it would take about 6 hours of my time that would have been right around the $65 and hour mark, give or take a few $"s. I guess im over thinking out the whole deal cause they never even questioned the price and or had an issue with the price. I mean they knew what the price was going to be befor i started the work.

MowHouston
04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I agree, dont do it.

landscaper22
04-16-2008, 10:04 PM
The main point of this question is cause I put up a fence at my aunts house, it was 250ft of fence it came out great they are thrilled with the outcome, but I kinda feel bad cause I charged them $400 and it look me 4 hours making my labor rate $100 and hour though it was hard labor using a post digger. When I told them the price to do it I bid on it figuring it would take about 6 hours of my time that would have been right around the $65 and hour mark, give or take a few $"s. I guess im over thinking out the whole deal cause they never even questioned the price and or had an issue with the price. I mean they knew what the price was going to be befor i started the work.

Yeah, if you quoted them the price and they were fine with it, then take the full amount and don't feel bad about it. Or, if you just wanted to be nice, knock $50 off the price. But don't feel bad just because it was family.

PatriotLandscape
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't do work for family they don't appreciate it and want it on the cheap.

Now for the statement that you have no overhead because you own your equipment. Ugh. That statement could not be anymore further from the truth. You still need to charge for the use of your equipment regardless of what you owe or own.

grandview (2006)
04-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Never say how many hours. Next time all labor and materials xxx.

dcgreenspro
04-16-2008, 11:27 PM
i guess I'm a little different. If my aunt already had the fence and just needed it put up, My old man and two brothers would accompany me to put it up over the weekend. Swamped with work because of spring and have no time, tell them you will get to it when you can.
was the only "hard labor" using a post hole digger?

DrGreenThumb
04-17-2008, 07:09 AM
i guess I'm a little different. If my aunt already had the fence and just needed it put up, My old man and two brothers would accompany me to put it up over the weekend. Swamped with work because of spring and have no time, tell them you will get to it when you can.
was the only "hard labor" using a post hole digger?

Job job is already done that is the thing.

The statement about overhead was worded wrong everyone has over head that is a fact. what I meant but that is I dont have any loans or anything like that out on my equipment so givinbg them a break would not kill me.