PDA

View Full Version : I have a lot to learn..........

Dahoopd
04-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Last year I was doing some lanws to finish out the year because the guy I was working for went to jail (knucklehead). Anyway, this year I did not try to take any of his lawns this season. So one of his customers calls me and said they prefer the way I do a lawn over his, I asked if they contacted him first and they said no. They wanted me to do their lawn.

Long story short they gave me a job for 12 yards of mulch installed along with a few other things. I ended up getting two more jobs just from people just passing by.

The bad part is I bid this job way wrong and made minimal money. Now I didnt expect to make what some of you make, nor do I need to survive off of it as I have a full time job. But trying to bid it right is a tough job in itself. Boy do I have a lot to learn.

DrGreenThumb
04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, the way that I would look at that one is that if your buddy did not end up in jail you would have never been put into that position, but hey man get yours. Talk it out if hes a reasonable guy he'll get the point, you can't expect things to be the way they were befor he went to the slammer. I would take it as a huge complement that they want you to do theres this year. Quality is everything. I had a customer that was having a college kid do there grass and then at the end of the season in August they wanted me to do there lawn so I did the resigned for service in December LOL, I must have been doing something right. You'll get better at the bidding in time. good luck

dougmartin2003
04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
that is one of the hardest thing you can do is bidding on jobs, you will get better the more you do it

KGR landscapeing
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
that is one of the hardest thing you can do is bidding on jobs, you will get better the more you do it

its not bidding thats the hard part its the unforseen problems that come after the bid.

Dahoopd
04-17-2008, 03:16 AM
The bad part was I billed it per yard and the man hours it took to do the prep work killed me. The good was I ended up buying all of the tools to do the job. I did figure that I would make less because of needing the equipment but the man hours is where I got beat.