PDA

View Full Version : Dont trust internet sites for lot sizes!

EliteImpressions
04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I have been using sites like zillow.com to give people estimates without having
to drive to their house. Well, I get a call yesterday and I check the site and it says the lot is 8k. So minus the house, patio and driveway Im looking at about 6k. I bid $30 since I think it would take 30 minutes max. Well I get hired and go to mow it today. The lot is more like 17k after I subtract everthing. So it takes almost 3 times the amount of time I thought.

Now I have to explain why my price is skyrocketing. More than likely I will lose him.

MowHouston
04-16-2008, 08:45 PM
I have been using sites like zillow.com to give people estimates without having
to drive to their house. Well, I get a call yesterday and I check the site and it says the lot is 8k. So minus the house, patio and driveway Im looking at about 6k. I bid $30 since I think it would take 30 minutes max. Well I get hired and go to mow it today. The lot is more like 17k after I subtract everthing. So it takes almost 3 times the amount of time I thought.

Now I have to explain why my price is skyrocketing. More than likely I will lose him.

In the future, tell the customer that you are using sites like that to get an idea of their lot size and tell them that it MAY be the price if everything is correct when you get out to their property. It doesnt hurt to ask the customer if X-sq feet sounds about right to them.

I've had the same thing happen. But since I saw that it might happen some day I just called the customer and said, hey, this doesnt match up, and everything was cool.

Good luck.

MowHouston
04-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Also, try using a more reliable site like your local appraisal district's web site.

lawnMaster5000
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
try this
http://maps.live.com/

You can do the birds eye view and see very detailed pictures in my area. In one picture I could even see into the guys garage well enough to tell what kind of cars were in there. You can see slopes, fences, beds and just about everything you would need to see.

grass disaster
04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
try this

You can do the birds eye view and see very detailed pictures in my area. In one picture I could even see into the guys garage well enough to tell what kind of cars were in there. You can see slopes, fences, beds and just about everything you would need to see.

very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matts lawn care
04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
That's what I have been using and it has been doing great so far.

MnDLawn
04-16-2008, 11:35 PM
We use Google Earth and local tax map websites, but 95% of the time we go and take a look at the actual property.

bohiaa
04-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Why Not just go to the job site, meet the customer, look the site over and give them a bid ?

this way it saves a lot of eating crow

bill8379
04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
I use my cities property assessment website but even that doesn't include extra lawn due to passive park and city blvds.

Lawn-Sharks
04-17-2008, 07:04 PM
try this

Thanks for posting this link! It will come in handy

EliteImpressions
04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
This is the only property I had problems with so far. The cutomers I have signed so far is probably becuase I offer a no hassle service. When they call or email, I have an estimate ready in under 10 minutes. I personally hate when I get estimates for my house. Having to either be there or wait for the company to leave one for me takes too long.

Ive been told Im impatient my entire life though.

I think google has a measuring tool, so Ill give that a shot to make sure the sq footage is right.

Also, if you go on zillow.com. It will also have maps from maps.live.com along with the yard size. So you are getting all the info in one place.