PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Command Pro Single 15HP Help...

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-16-2008, 09:01 PM
It's on my Exmark Metro. Mower has less then 100 hours on it, but is a few years old, but the other day I went to start it up and when it gets in to the top half of the throttle it sounds terrible. It was very loud (almost like a helicopter). It sounded like the muffler let loose so I check the exhaust gasket, good, so I went ahead and bougth a new muffler, still same problem. We had pereviously adjusted the valves to 4 and 6 but they were ticking so bad we re set them at 3 and 3, now the ticking is gone but its still loud. Watching the valve springs the exhaust valve isn't opening near as far as the intake. I'm thinking I might have a problem with the Exhaust valve not sealing off. Also the machine lost power now in the top end. Any advice?

Fisher40037
04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
It sounds like you are saying that the valve/spring height is not the same, so it would be likely that a valve seat has come loose. Kohler recomends
head replacement, but others could fix it.

Fish

Restrorob
04-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Did you hold down on the rockers as stated below when you adjusted ?

Also, Are you using 10W30 oil in this engine ?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kohler/CV/KohlerProCV15ValveAdjustment.jpg

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I pulled the head off today and sure enough the exhaust valve isn't sealing off 100%. I tore it apart and took it to a buddy who has a performance machine shop to have him grind the valve and the head. The vlave wasn't bent so I'm still not sure why this happened.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Got the head back yesterday and put it all back together today and I still have the same problem. Valves are set right, so now I am a little stumped. I don't know if there's a problem with the camshaft, or a rocker, or?????