PDA

View Full Version : Rototiller: what would cause lock-up? (not mtr)

mowisme
04-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Have a Cub Cadet RT-60 that I bought used. It is locked up in forward. Wheels don't move-nor do tines? Does this sound like a chain in case? Never delt much with tillers. Geno

Restrorob
04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Geno,

Here is the chain case assembly, About the only way to find the problem is tear into it. Just a suggestion should you attempt this, Take a BUNCH of pics from all angles before you scatter it all over the place.....

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/MTD/CubRT60RearTineTiller.jpg

Good Luck

mowisme
04-16-2008, 10:32 PM
whoa!..pic's are definately a must- thanks RR. Geno

jkason
04-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Restro..
That looks like an MTD chain case.
If it is, Shouldn't he just buy a new one (at +/- $300.00) to save aggravation.
Even for guys in the repair business, these things are a BE_ATCH!

And they are in no way professional grade, by the way.

Restrorob
04-17-2008, 12:10 PM
That looks like an MTD chain case.
If it is, Shouldn't he just buy a new one (at +/- $300.00) to save aggravation.

Well, That is a MTD gear case and in the real world it would be much easier to just purchase a new gear case assembly and be done with it.

The only problem with doing that is this unit is a 1998 and the complete gear case assembly is listed as "No longer available".....

jkason
04-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah...

Seems like a lot of their parts are going "NLA"...

OK. Probably a busted chain, Mowisme.
If you are going to do this, get both chains, all the seals and new bearings. Replace gears if worn.

EDIT - And the gasket. Can't forget the gasket. Gotta watch Wopner.

mowisme
04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
ok..thanks on info- Here is my delima..I got this tiller for $40. Should I just yank the OHV 6hp tecumseh (seems good- has 45 degree cylinder w/OHV) and the 13 inch tractor style wheels and 'junk' the rest before I get over my head in caost and headaches? don't want to tear down every year and not really fond of MTD, at least in most stuff. Right now if I do as said..I'd still be ahead. I can also get a old 'Frazer' built like a tank..but very old. (I can't afford new folks). Thanks -Gene P.S. This Cub Cadet looks neat..but looks don't get the job done..can see the thinness of the chain case,ect..

Restrorob
04-17-2008, 07:40 PM
As jkason said these buggers can be a b!tch to work on even for someone that has done it before. But, That's where you have to make the call whether to junk it or not.

mowisme
04-18-2008, 06:44 PM
It's history..scrapped it today. Got out from under it before it cost me lots of $..and many headaches. Got a good horizontal OHV Tec off it for the $40 I paid for tiller. Guess could have been worse. Thanks on help- Geno P.S.- getting 2 more next week..maybe I'll get one going yet! or find right motor for one I have sitting off to side here. All this gas cost rounding them up- and taking to junk yard..I could be putting towards a Troy-built Pony! Geno

Restrorob
04-18-2008, 06:54 PM
All this gas cost rounding them up- and taking to junk yard..I could be putting towards a Troy-built Pony!

Now that's a tiller, At least it's got a cast iron gearbox without chains.....