PDA

View Full Version : homelite vs comm trimmer

scagman
12-04-2001, 01:26 AM
I currently use a homelite straight shaft trimmer i like them because the head turns clockwise rather that a stihl fs85 where the head turns counter clockwise making you have to walk backwards fellow lco always makes fun please help me in my qwest to find a commercial trimmer that turns clockwise otherwise its walk backwards or go through 2 homelites a season

MJB
12-04-2001, 01:34 AM
Scagman, It's not as bad as you think. I held off for a few yrs throwing away Homelites etc, but I switched to Echo 2601, or Redmax, they turn the opposite direction but really are much easier on you in the long run. You rarely have to walk backwards. Only if the grass is wet a very long do I walk backwards. I got most of my jobs for doing quality trimming, and I will never buy another piece of junk Homelite. My employees agree there is no comparison. So just bite the bullet, and try a commercial trimmer that is light but powerful, you won't regret it.

BigJim
12-04-2001, 03:37 AM
I'm in scagmans corner on this one,I run a Homelite.Its 1/2 the weight off my previous comm trimmer,I can trim with one hand,the head spinning the other way saves you tasting a lotta doggy doos,It starts first pull,parts are cheap and I've used it every day for the past 12months and see no reason I aint gonna get another couple of years out of it.I suppose its like all equipment if you had the last 2 LCO's left on earth they be arguing mines bigger,better,faster...but it keeps these forums interesting!:D

Got Grass?
12-04-2001, 08:11 AM
I'd avoid Homelight, one above them would be Craftsman I think thier heads turn in the "wrong" direction.

65hoss
12-04-2001, 11:10 AM
Any of you ever wonder why the comm'l trimmers turn "backwards"? ;)

MATTHEW
12-04-2001, 10:18 PM
Try them both for a week and you'll see why the comm. brands go "backwards". My Echo died this year and I was behind scedule for a week, so I used a Homelite that my grandfather gave me as a fiil in. I never ate so much doggie-doo! I got nailed in the face all day. The engines on those things only last 30% as long as comm. brands. The cylinders and sleeves are cheap and will not hold up to daily use for very long.

awm
12-08-2001, 07:15 AM
at my hd in kannapolis nc,there is a chart of there various trimmers and the hrs u can expect to get. the homelite said around 150 to 200 as i remember it. right under that on this chart was echo commtrimmer rated 1150. i remember thinking
it was almost funny that the difference was that much.
not selling either one. as i use the light craftsman and one hand it. if it gets stolen ,i just go get another sears return at half price 40 -50 bucks
and clean it up and put the proper mix in it

geogunn
12-08-2001, 07:59 AM
great thread. I use a homelite ST-275 and I love it. it's not the best for clearing ditches and fence rows but it is great for residential. and the best reason I like it is the head rotation.

I had a echo 2100 and I took it back. the echo was super smooth running but I hated everything else about it.

GEO

Green Care
12-08-2001, 08:38 AM
I use Echo 2400

Richard Martin
12-08-2001, 09:56 AM
Actually head rotation isn't a problem on commercial trimmers if you learn how to use them backwards. Most people hold a commercial trimmer with the throttle trigger in their right hand and walk towards the right. I trim the opposite way. I don't know why, it's just the way I've always done it. And no, I'm not left-handed.

dmk395
12-08-2001, 10:02 AM
I had the same problems this year, I was so happy with how much faster the job went with the Echo, I bought 2 of them!

deason
12-08-2001, 12:18 PM
Big Jim, what the heck is that Picture?

Any of you ever wonder why the comm'l trimmers turn "backwards"?

Gosh, I wonder if "POWER" has anything to do with that, Hoss?

I guess this is why I can take my 26cc echo and run circles around a 36cc Ryobi Wal Mart $99 special.:D

BigJim
12-08-2001, 01:09 PM
Deason,the picture is a Kiwi bird,the national bird,flightless,nearly blind and only comes out at night!,unfortunately squashing it down to an avatar has blurred it somewhat,this web site explains all http://www.kiwi.bird.freeservers.com/.C:\My Documents\Lawn Stuff\Kiwi Bird Photo.JPG

odin
12-08-2001, 01:44 PM
I have a sthil that i bought in 1990 to clear brush when in lved in kalamazoo michigan.I still have this trimmer and we started useing it commercially when we went into business in 1996.It has not had one breakdown .somehow i dont think a homelite would last like that.

deason
12-08-2001, 01:48 PM
nearly blind and only comes out at night!,

Understandable Big Jim. Looks like this bird and Memphis drivers have something in common!:laugh: