PDA

View Full Version : Spaces between sod

hardatworknc
04-16-2008, 10:57 PM
What does everyone do to fill the spaces between sod when it doesn't line up correctly or there are small gaps where it has crumbled off? Do you just cut other pieces of sod and put in there? or fill with the dirt that comes from the sod? Or am I just correct in thinking that the sod will pretty much take care of itself and fill in the gaps.

OhioBobcat125
04-16-2008, 11:01 PM
How big of spaces are you talking about? Pieces of sod should be as flush as possible

grandview (2006)
04-16-2008, 11:14 PM
cut the bad piece off straight then use it as the next offset piece.

dcgreenspro
04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Like ohio bob said, sod should be laid as neatly as possible. When laying it, try and block off sections to keep from having to piece it ie. using irregular shaped pieces. That way it looks more uniformly when done.
/this might sound confusing, but after slinging it for a while, you will get the right idea.

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
We always fill in spots with cut pieces of sod. We never leave any gaps or fill in with dirt. No matter how small you think it is, someone will see it for sure. It's tough not to have something to fill in unless the yard is perfectly square and there is no landscaping.

Carolina Cuts
04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
they did that space crap to my house. New home construction with centipede sod. 1 year old, as usual, they didn't fill the gaps NOR butt the sod strips up against each other. Notorious in this area for lousy sod jobs. Now over the last 2 months, all the rain has been settling in the seams, causing root rot... I had beautiful dead thatch stripes up and down my property. LITERALLY perfect brown lines 40-50' across the lawn.... (seams)

NO! Centipede sod does NOT seam itself together... for anyone who is wondering.
Today I raked/thatched the property and filled in the seams with topsoil and will be overseeding with centipede seed.
1 year old sod.... 25 trash bags of thatch for my front yard only. ugh.

Ok, done venting.

Fill the seams if you have any.... (you shouldn't) with more sod.

Whitey4
04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Sod shrinks..... so if you have visable seams, they will become gaping 1" gaps (or worse) later on. Sod should be laid as tightly as possible. NEVER try to stretch it, instead, lay it as tight as possible without wrinkles. Use more material if need be, but lay it tight. Using two " wide strips in places is shoddy work IMO. It will mean more material to avoid strips, but it's the right way to do it. Always over estimate how much sod you will need. then make sure the customer knows why your quote includes more material. Educate them.