PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane or not

Phishook
12-04-2001, 03:09 AM
Looking to buy New new for next season.

My Great Dane has been good so far(900hrs). But they don't offer a grass catcher or mulching kit that I'm aware of yet. Are they owned by J.D.?

How do they compair to the lazers or scag. How do the new spindal driven catchers work on the lazers and scags?

vipermanz
12-04-2001, 03:35 AM
gd is now owned by deere:(

Phishook
12-04-2001, 03:47 AM
bummer.:(

Robert Doubrava
12-04-2001, 06:13 PM
It is? Gosh, I did not know that.:(

hertelbr
12-15-2001, 01:17 AM
I have three great dane surfers, cut great, side hill great, only part that sucks are the welds, mise well keep your wire feed on. From the front casters to the decks to the wheel motor mounts. Bought the first ones in our area when they first came out, they have since changed their deck ( better reinforcement), but still have problems with them. Granted I am sure my guys are not giving them a kiss each morning and tucking them in at night I see alot more problems with them then I do with the Bobcats or Scag or Exmark. Expect more problems, I have heard rumors of John Deere changing the deck to a stamped instead of a welded. Nothing good can come of that. I would rethink the Danes.

-Brandon

65hoss
12-15-2001, 01:38 AM
I will not touch the GD questions, but as far as how the exmark spindle driven ultra vac works I will. It does a really good job. I goes off and on in 20 seconds with no tools.

lee b
12-20-2001, 09:43 PM
I don't know about the GDs, but the stamped 7-iron decks are awesome. This deck cuts great, especially in wet tall grass. I've heard alot of people here bad-mouth the stamped deck, but these are not your average lawn tractor decks. There 7-gauge solid steel, heavy-duty spindles, with no corners to catch debris, an extra 3/4" rolled steel reinforcing lip around the bottom edge, high blade-tip speed, no welds to break, and give a very good cut especially in bahia grass. Don't be scared of this deck, it's a good one.:D

strickdad
12-25-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by hertelbr
I have three great dane surfers, cut great, side hill great, only part that sucks are the welds, mise well keep your wire feed on. From the front casters to the decks to the wheel motor mounts. Bought the first ones in our area when they first came out, they have since changed their deck ( better reinforcement), but still have problems with them. Granted I am sure my guys are not giving them a kiss each morning and tucking them in at night I see alot more problems with them then I do with the Bobcats or Scag or Exmark. Expect more problems, I have heard rumors of John Deere changing the deck to a stamped instead of a welded. Nothing good can come of that. I would rethink the Danes.

-Brandon those rumors are un true the reason deere bought dane out was so they could have there own fabracated decks. they up till now were subbing this out to a different manufacter. the manufacter that was building there decks was bought out by kubota. hence deere was in the cold with out a fabricated deck maker so they got the check book out an made dane scag an offer he could not refuse....