PDA

View Full Version : How long after spraying?

Chris "Greenville"
04-17-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm not a fertilizer spray guy so I need some quick help on a question. I have 2mowing customers that have their lawn spray fertilized, do I need to wait any length of time to mow their grass or is ok to cut. They just had them sprayed today I and have them on the schedule for Friday. Is that OK? Thanks!

tremor
04-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Ideally you wait 2 days. This gives time for the herbicide to translocate before the mower blades cut the leaves from the rooted parts. Mowing too soon separates the herbicide from the targeted crown/roots.

However most cutters ignore the issue & mow anyway often with little loss in efficacy. It'll all depend on the age of the weeds, type of weeds, how fast they're growing & the type of herbicide used.

Chris "Greenville"
04-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the quick response, I'm not sure of what chemicals were used. I know that they were sprayed Wednesday morning and I have them on my schedule for Friday afternoon. Not quite a full 24 hours but I'll be off schedule if I hold them over to next week and the grass is growing wild in my area. I think I'll stay on schedule and request a schedule for future treatments. Thanks again Chris

rcreech
04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
The longer you can wait the better....but the label states 24 hours on most products....and you can probably get by with even less then that under "good" growing conditions.

Testing shows that most herbicides we use is usually translocated through the xylem and phloem within 4-8 hours (depending on the conditions).

The type of plant, pesticide used etc. can play a role in how long it takes.

ted putnam
04-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I usually tell people it is all right to mow after 24 hrs but do not bag clippings until after it has been watered or rained in. Some herbicides are taken in through the roots as well as the leaves. Irrigation before bagging allows it to reach the soil without being bagged up and hauled off. Just my 2 cents.

tlg
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm not a fertilizer spray guy so I need some quick help on a question. I have 2mowing customers that have their lawn spray fertilized, do I need to wait any length of time to mow their grass or is ok to cut. They just had them sprayed today I and have them on the schedule for Friday. Is that OK? Thanks!

Well yes and no. A liquid fertilizer application will dry on the grass blades. If you mow and bag the clippings before the application has been watered in you will likely remove a fair amount of the fertilizer. If the liquid application had been watered in you would be ok to mow . If no rain or watering was done and you still want to mow, the clippings should be mulched in.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I once mowed for lady who hired someone other than me to spray. They waaaaaay overdid it. So, as bad as this may be, I'd mow it as soon as I could after they came - and bagged it - to try and remove as much of the Nitrogen as possible, in order to maintain a normal growth pattern.

Chris "Greenville"
04-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone:). This is an acre yard so I always mulch. It's been in the mid 70's for the last couple of days and the grass is now dry. I'll be cutting it today around noon and their calling for rain for the next week. Again, Thanks for helping a non-fert guy!

heritage
04-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Ditto on Tremor's post.

I always tell 2 days.

Pete