PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block

Flipper
12-04-2001, 02:56 AM
Hey guys,,

This is a really great site!! I've about read myself to death. Anyway, in march I'll be moving from tennessee to georgia and I will be starting up my own lawn care bussiness. I suppose I know more about landscaping than most people, but I have a whole lot to learn too. I just want to tell you what I have to start with and see if any of you have any suggestions for me.

I bought a john deer, 3-wheel zero turn front deck ( 54" cut), with only 100 hrs on it.

also, an enduro (pro-line) 48" cut, zero turn, brand new.

I also have a simplicity riding mower, that I built a trailer for, for leaf collection in the fall. I also bought a large trailer to carry all this stuff on, and I have a truck to pull it with. And I intend to buy a bobcat for some hardscaping jobs. I still have to get some leaf blowers, chain saw, etc.

I intend to offer a bunch of services, like sprinkler systems, fences, area lighting, mowing, hardscaping, flower beds, gardens, just anything someone might need done outside.

From reading so many great posts here, I think I have a good grasp as to how to charge for jobs. I must admit, I'm somewhat nervious about whether the customers will be there when I start up in the spring. I just mailed out 100 flyers with a return post card included, to banks, funeral homes, motels, etc, letting them know that I would like to bid on their jobs, and that I can come down to give them an estimate. I intend to do another hundred or so.
I'm also going to send letters to all the real-estate bussiness, and offer a special promotion to them, like discounted service to homes they can sale with a year of yard care included.

I'm going to make the bussiness a corperation, and should have one guy helping me at the start. Planning on geting insurance too.

I have enough money saved to get by for a while until I get some good customers. Still, I would rather get busy right off the bat. I'd really appreciate any adivce you might have for me. Thanks!

strickdad
12-04-2001, 03:24 AM
sounds like you are off to a really good start.. you have the right ideas on marketing your self .. check in to getting some insurance for your biz. one little note though make sure you keep your operating expenses in line and you will do just fine.. also keep up with this site , you will learn alot here..

MOW ED
12-04-2001, 08:47 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite.

Marketing advice from Mow Ed

FLIPPERS Lawn Service"FASTER THAN LIGHTENING"

Just kidding. Good Luck with your new venture.

dhicks
12-04-2001, 09:34 AM
Yes, welcome to Lawnsite. My only advice is to buy the best equipment even if you have to finance some or all of it.

stslawncare
12-04-2001, 03:39 PM
something i would reccamend is dont start offering all those services from the get go. give of some more specifics, did u get a 16' truck and a heavy duty truck or what?

Flipper
12-05-2001, 12:04 AM
Hey guys, thanks alot for input !!

Scottie, I've got a silverado pick-up, with a 16 foot car hauler trailer. And I have an 8 foot utility trailer. I really like the idea of "real" landscaping trucks, with the drive up beds, but that would take alot of funds. I've invested about 15 thousand dollers so far, not including my truck, and as I said, still have to get the blowers, and weed eaters, etc. Its all paid for though, so thats good.

I hear ya what you are saying about maybe doing to much at once. I was thinking that maybe one thing would lead to another, and maybe I would find my "nitch" . I'm not sure what services will be most needed in the area.

I just hope that I get some replies from the mailers I sent out. :)

ps,, what a great site this is !!!

mr_bojangles
12-05-2001, 01:44 AM
It's great that you have so much ambition but I think it may be best to focus your energy on a more specific task. It sounds that you wish to do lawn care, and landscaping, and although they are related they are different. You will simply be investing too much into equipment that you won't have time to use. Secify in something that seems to be lacking in the area, and you'll be able to make a lot of money!

Flipper
12-05-2001, 05:29 AM
Mr bojangles,

That makes alot of sense. Maybe I will hold out on the "landscaping" equipment for a while. I suppose I could rent a bobcat from time to time if needed. I already have my lawn care equipment, so maybe i'll just focus on lawn care to start with. Thanks alot for the advice.

Originally posted by mr_bojangles
It's great that you have so much ambition but I think it may be best to focus your energy on a more specific task. It sounds that you wish to do lawn care, and landscaping, and although they are related they are different. You will simply be investing too much into equipment that you won't have time to use. Secify in something that seems to be lacking in the area, and you'll be able to make a lot of money!

stslawncare
12-05-2001, 03:24 PM
is ur a truck a 1500 or 2500? start out with mowing, from mowing do bush trimmer and such,then do landscaping, then hardscapes, work ur way up. getting a good customer base doing mowing and such will help u to get landscape jobs that will help u get hardscape jobs etc. i would definitly wait on a bobcat, i must commend you for all of the equipment u have already purchased and the fact its payed for, that will be a wonderful advantage for you.

TSS
12-05-2001, 10:53 PM
I agree with Mr. bojangles. I started a yard installation co. two years ago. On top of that I also included dirt & stone hauling, tree & shrub removal, hard scapes, concrete work, ornimental?? ponds, landscape designs, and just added artificial putting greens. Not to mention that I just purchased mowers this year to include lawn care. On the other side of the coin I also have a leasing co. for all my rental properties, I work part time job at a golf course (last year so I can be vested) and also write loans in the winter. Hopefully I can include snow removal this year if we get any snow:mad: none yet. I thought that the more that I had to offer to homeowners the easier it would be to keep busy. At times we were too busy and didn't have enough time for all the projects that were going on. I know that I need to concentrate on one thing but I like doing everything. Hope it works out, just thought I would add my .02.

Flipper
12-10-2001, 01:56 AM
Thanks alot guys !!!!

65hoss
12-10-2001, 04:15 AM
Cash Flow

Cash flow needs to be your first priority. Cutting is good cash flow. Concentrate on cash coming in and going out. Become Scrooge about your expenses.

If you try to do everything from day 1 you will spread yourself too thin. Jack of all trades, but a perfector of none. When your small and starting out the last thing you need to do is get yourself involved in too many things that you get behind on EVERYTHING. Been there! You end up making less money because you can't say no. I assume from your original post your going full time??? If you are, forget about a helper until you get busy. No need to adding more problems into the situation until you need one.