PDA

View Full Version : Natural Lawn Fertilizers?

JABBERS
04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Can anyone recommend some natural lawn fertilizer? I have a new lawn customer who last year lost 2 dogs to poisoning. The last guy who took care of the property used all kinds of chemicals. Know I have the task of telling the customer what kinds of products we can use on their lawn. Thanks

GreenthumbGA
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
you are opening a can of worms in the chem part of this forum.

I you are wanting some an answer, do a search in the forum using those key words.

There are a number of companies that sell those types of ferilizers and specialize in the natural way. Just got to do your homework.

Marcos
04-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah...you should be in the "organic lawn care" forum, that is also part of lawnsite.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer...finding legit vegetable-based protein meals like corn meal, soybean meal, cottonseed meal, seaweed or kelp extract (in LARGER liquid containers, especially) can be a real task !!

Companies like "Scotts" are now marketing "organic" products in the box stores like Lowes and HD...but beware of them because they are pretty much exclusively animal-based proteins (feathers, bones, blood, you-name-it ! :cry:)...and not only does it stink when it's applied, animal-based protein is not the best type(s) of BUILDING BLOCKS you want, organically, for your lawn/landscape.

I've been using solely corn meal as fertilizer on a piece of rural property I own...and even the Ag store co-op "out in the country a piece" doesn't even stock these products consistantly !!!

All this kinda made me wonder where the organic lawn care companies around here get their stuff...so I picked up the phone and called a few local ones that don't "compete" with me in any way, jurisdiction-wise !!
All of them I talked to have their stuff drop-shipped in from out-of-state vendors...for the most part on bulk skids.

I'm STILL looking for a CONSISTENT source for corn meal in the northern Cincy area!

You really had two dogs die recently from the direct result of pesticides ?
Whoa...
I've been around in this biz since 1985 and I've never seen indisputable proof of pesticides killing a dog or a cat !!

Now....Geese and ducks ? You betcha!
Those critters have been known to eat-up fertilizer prills just like they're "duck food"!
And if, of course, some company (stupidly) applies something like granular Sevin or Talstar in an area frequented by waterfowl...that's a mistake just waiting to happen....and it HAS !!!

But I've never heard of anything such as DIRECT evidence from any veterinarian's autopsy, anywhere, at any time, implicating any specific pesticide's A.I. to the death of any dog or cat...nor have I ever heard of any other lawn company having such an issue.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=Marcos;2275717]

Companies like "Scotts" are now marketing "organic" products in the box stores like Lowes and HD...but beware of them because they are pretty much exclusively animal-based proteins (feathers, bones, blood, you-name-it ! :cry:)...and not only does it stink when it's applied, animal-based protein is not the best type(s) of BUILDING BLOCKS you want, organically, for your lawn/landscape.

QUOTE]

So you aren't a big fan of the Naturesafe fertilizers? My supplier has been trying to push that on me to market as an organic program.

Marcos
04-17-2008, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=Marcos;2275717]

QUOTE]

So you aren't a big fan of the Naturesafe fertilizers? My supplier has been trying to push that on me to market as an organic program.

Oh my !!!

The Borg of less-than desirable organic LC poisons is apparently loose now.. and actively taking over the minds of any and all applicators who will listen to their beckoning !!!

:cry::cry::cry:

In my humble opinion, you really need to spend a few hours on the "organic lawn care" forum on this site...to get some "religion", before you make such a rash decision !!!
:waving:

JABBERS
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
This is the first customer I ever had since I've started in the business who has been insistent on an all natural and organic fertilizer. I'm glad you told me about the other forum I guess I didn't look hard enough. I appreciate it.

Hissing Cobra
04-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I used to use NatureSafe natural based Fertilizers on many of my lawns during the summer months and I loved it. I applied it at a rate of 10 lbs/1,000 sq. ft and those lawns always looked better during the hot, stressful, summer months than my lawns where I used conventional Fertilizers.

Marcos
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I used to use NatureSafe natural based Fertilizers on many of my lawns during the summer months and I loved it. I applied it at a rate of 10 lbs/1,000 sq. ft and those lawns always looked better during the hot, stressful, summer months than my lawns where I used conventional Fertilizers.

More slaughtered animal blood, guts :cry:, poop, skin, hooves, you name it ......!!
.....not much here that would serve to build upon on any long-term soil-building organic turf program.

What product / analysis did you use ?
It's a wonder you didn't burn the bejesus out of them with all the blood meal (in certain turf products in that line), especially in MID SUMMER applications

(....hmmm didn't I see "Nature Safe" at Deere / Lesco a few weeks ago ?!?
Since he works there and all...Could Cobra's positive comment actually be a little disguised Nature Safe "infomercial" ?!?)

:rolleyes::hammerhead::nono:

Hissing Cobra
04-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Nature Safe 10-2-8. Click the link to find your information.

http://www.naturesafe.com/content/products/organic.html

It doesn't matter to me what it was made out of. It simply WORKS. If something works and works well, why use something else? I NEVER burned a lawn with this product.

I worked for the largest independently owned Lawncare company on Cape Cod and this was the product of choice for customers who wanted Organic applications during the hot summer months. It was chosen by our in house Agronomist who's had more than 25 years invested into the "Green" Industry. He is well respected within the Massachusetts/New England area and speaks regularly at many Industry Trade Shows in our state.

humble1
04-18-2008, 10:01 PM
More slaughtered animal blood, guts :cry:, poop, skin, hooves, you name it ..

So what you are also saying is that I should stop eating hot dogs--

NattyLawn
04-19-2008, 07:27 AM
More slaughtered animal blood, guts :cry:, poop, skin, hooves, you name it ......!!
.....not much here that would serve to build upon on any long-term soil-building organic turf program.

What product / analysis did you use ?
It's a wonder you didn't burn the bejesus out of them with all the blood meal (in certain turf products in that line), especially in MID SUMMER applications

(....hmmm didn't I see "Nature Safe" at Deere / Lesco a few weeks ago ?!?
Since he works there and all...Could Cobra's positive comment actually be a little disguised Nature Safe "infomercial" ?!?)

:rolleyes::hammerhead::nono:

A lot of the products listed above are great for building soil biology. The fact that they don't burn is they need to be broken down microbially to be plant available. Just be careful with summer applications and apply late spring. If Green June Beetles are a problem, they love the organic matter when they lay eggs.

Hissing Cobra
04-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, when I did use this product, it was in combination with conventional products. We didn't offer a full Organic Program per se, and if a customer was adamant about one, we would not guarantee against grubs, insects, crabgrass or weeds. My program would look like this.

Step 1 - Fertilizer + Dimension
Step 2 - Fertilizer + Weed Control and Merit (customers who wanted Grub Protection) or Fertilizer + Weed Control (customers who didn't want Grub Protection)
Step 3 - Nature Safe 10-2-8
Step 4 - Nature Safe 10-2-8
Step 5 - 18-2-18 Fertilizer
Step 6 - Dolomitic Limestone

Like I mentioned, this program would work very well and these lawns would have much better coloring during the hot summer months.

garydale
04-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Definiely sell them all the natural fertilizer they want but, make damn sure they know that unless the 50lb. bag fell on the dog and kill it, fertilizer was not the cause of death.

green_mark
04-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Here is our programs.

http://www.greenguardian.us/services.html

We use all edible ingredients