PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat WB PTO problems

LawnVet
04-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Okay- maybe I'm missing something here. My PTO quit working while under heavy load and will not engage or even click. Here is what I've done and the results:

1. Replaced fuse - nothing
2. Replaced switch - nothing
3. Replaced wiring - nothing
4. Checked for voltage at the PTO - 30, dealer said it should be at least 11.
5. Replaced the expensive (non-adjustable) clutch - nothing

I am at a complete loss here. If the clutch is getting power it should work being that it is brand new. Please, someone help me see what I'm missing. I had to scrub my morning work due to this. It is the only machine that'll fit through small gates.

LawnVet
04-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Forgot to include model number - 933012, it's a belt drive - appx 5 years old

themowerman
04-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Check your voltage regulator output and stator output and make sure you have good grounds. Since that unit does not use a battery system the voltage for the electric clutch comes from the voltage regulator.

LawnVet
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks-
30 AC in from stator
6.5 DC from regulator
is the regulator supposed to be putting out 14 or is the stator supposed to only bring in 14?
I was told the clutch should be getting 11-14, I'm assuming DC voltage? That would leave me with a shortage instead of what I originally thought was an abundance, correct? I'm no electrician. I guess I'll have to check my ground, though everything seems to be in order there

themowerman
04-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't have the Briggs specs handy but I do know that 6.5 volts DC is not enough to power that clutch. You may need a new voltage regulator.

LawnVet
04-17-2008, 02:00 PM
That's seems to be the concensus...this has gotten to be an expensive issue.

Thanks a ton - I'll post the regulator results later.

themowerman
04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Take the other parts back. My take on your problem is the voltage regulator from what you are saying...................

LawnVet
04-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Wish I could - pto clutch is a non-refundable part. Suppose I should have tried the regulator first. If this doesn't work (no one, not even B&S has one in stock so it may be a few days) the only thing left is the alternator under the flywheel. Thanks again.

LawnVet
04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
FINALLY got the regulator from B&S. Took 2 seconds to replace and voila, I have my 36" back and can finish that last clean up. Thanks all!