PDA

View Full Version : Website: Too many calls !!

mdvaden
04-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Maybe better too much that too little.

But we finally bought a house up north to move back to Beaverton, from southern Oregon. And my website was tailored for that near Portland market, but brought minimal calls in Medford, where few people internet search.

A couple of weeks ago, I changed the vocabulary on my main pages to "Portland" and cities in that area. Now I'm getting up to 4 and 5 calls per day, from just the website.

That's almost too much. Whether website, or printed ads, I like about 1 or 2 calls per day, because I get about a 90% acceptance rate for bids and estimates.

Anyhow, every now and then, you see someone post "are websites worth it?", and my answer is yes. So much so, that enough calls can come in to send overflow to other landscapers and arborists.

Takes several months or years for a website to become established in a BIG city for good results.

causalitist
04-17-2008, 02:38 PM
well.... thats what i want ahhaha
what sorts of tools do you use to help people find your site?
do you use google adwords? stuff like that? do you pay google to come up first in search results?

any tips, do you have someone that handles this stuff for you i could use..

basically, what should i do that you are doing :)

thanks

mdvaden
04-17-2008, 11:49 PM
well.... thats what i want ahhaha
what sorts of tools do you use to help people find your site?
do you use google adwords? stuff like that? do you pay google to come up first in search results?

any tips, do you have someone that handles this stuff for you i could use..

basically, what should i do that you are doing :)

thanks

Adwords worked and was affordable for me until time passed and my site gradually rose to page one.

URL is also the prominent / biggest contact on my cards and brochures.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=87633&stc=1&d=1187926919

Turf Troll
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Good for you MD, with your success and your move.

During April and May I get about 20 calls a week from my sites. Mulching, landscaping, paver work, topsoil deliveries, lawn renovation, well everything I have on the websites. I am trying to work a deal with another landscaper now to do some of the work for me.

I spent a lot of time over the winter expanding my presence on the web. Over the next couple months I am going to get videos of jobs and start tagging them for my local search area, you ought to try the same your work would be more impressive then me showing a change in landscaping or a paver job.

jim

B & B Yardscape
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I get 9 - 12 new visitors a day to my site and atleast one call a day for an estimate. Not bad for doing it my self and $4.95 for hosting.

mdvaden
04-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I get 9 - 12 new visitors a day to my site and atleast one call a day for an estimate. Not bad for doing it my self and $4.95 for hosting.

That seems good.

Some companies might not consider one call per day good, but I sure do.

My estimate acceptance rate is about 90%.

So even one call per day is a nice addition. Honestly, I think that even 1 call per week makes a website well worthwhile.

The main reason I don't get overloaded, is that many of my projects are one or two hour pruning jobs. If everything I did was one or two week installations, I'd rather have just one call every 4 or 5 days.

Either way, websites can be nice additions.

AI Inc
04-27-2008, 05:59 AM
That seems good.

Some companies might not consider one call per day good, but I sure do.

My estimate acceptance rate is about 90%.

So even one call per day is a nice addition. Honestly, I think that even 1 call per week makes a website well worthwhile.

The main reason I don't get overloaded, is that many of my projects are one or two hour pruning jobs. If everything I did was one or two week installations, I'd rather have just one call every 4 or 5 days.

Either way, websites can be nice additions.

If your selling 90% you need to raise your prices. Not being a richard head here or nothing but industry standard is around 50%.When my numbers get above 60% ill boot up the price some.

mdvaden
04-27-2008, 11:08 AM
If your selling 90% you need to raise your prices. Not being a richard head here or nothing but industry standard is around 50%.When my numbers get above 60% ill boot up the price some.

That thought has recently came to mind.

I did raise my consulting / advice fee just the past week. And probably need to raise the others after we move.

I'm also considering charging an estimate fee for people living a certain number of miles outside of town in the country, due to the fuel and time.

With a high acceptance rate, bids farther away were not a big deal, but if I raise by estimated prices, odds are that the fuel and time used will become more significant.