PDA

View Full Version : To ALL Florida guys ?

Bunton Guy
12-04-2001, 09:22 AM
I am thinking of moving down there..I have been for about 5 years. Its getting near time to move my girl friend is looking for a job and I will be telling her to not bother soon. My problem is I want to move near the Orlando area just out of orlando to stay away from all of the buisy life. But I would like to run my lawn and landscape management company out of orlando . I went to the hernando/tampa area to visit family and they have had such a bad drought that some of the yards that used to be award winning are now SAND the grass dried up and has blown away sad but true. Is orlando like that ? is there any areas in florida that do not get this bad ? I know in Charlotte NC we have bad drought ...the grass gets crisp but it never resourts to actually blwing away and leaving the soil underneath. I love the weather in Florida its most always nice and warm. Im looking into buying several acres of land for a motocross track so I have no choice but to live right on the edge of town . Anyone have any idea of how much per acre land will go for around the areas outside of orlando ? Around here in charlotte in the country I can get for anywere from 1,200-5,000 bucks per acre. I appreciate your help.

lawngator
12-04-2001, 09:43 AM
I live about 20 miles west of Orlando. As long as you take on St. Augustine yards with irrigation systems, you'll have year-round work. We've been in a 3 yr. drought and I've yet to lose anybody due to dry conditions. Most of my residentials are cut 38 - 43 times per year. One warning, however, you can't escape the hustle by living outside of Orlando. Central Florida is a mess. The little town of Clermont, where I live, has been almost ruined by over-development. This is a good thing when it comes to plenty of lawn business, but bad as far as a place to live. Property value has exploded. For acreage, (5 - 20) it ranges from $4000 to 10000 per acre if you get way out of town. The funny thing is that my wife and I would like to move to North or South Carolina. We're sick of it down here. I guess the grass is always greener, right?

GreenStar
12-04-2001, 02:39 PM
$4000-10000 an acre WOW. around here in metro detroit (romeo) you can't touch an acre lot for less than 70k.

lawngator
12-04-2001, 03:20 PM
GREENSTAR,
That's rural acreage. Within 7 miles of town, 1/2 acre on the lake can run you up to $375,000. Most residential property runs 12 - 40,000 for 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots.

ChadsLawn
12-04-2001, 06:01 PM
My parents live just outside of te Brandon/Tampa area and they paid $19.900 for 1 acre..Buying land or a home down here isnt cheap at all..

Chad

summitgroundskeeping
12-04-2001, 07:36 PM
neighbors lot 3/4 acre went for $26,000

sheppard
12-05-2001, 08:38 AM
Morning Bunton Guy,

I would highly recommend the Jacksonville/Tallahassee/Gainsville area. Realestate is much lower here, the pace is slower & it's the 'real south'! Jacksonville & Gainsville are flatter than Tallahassee but Jacksonville seems to get more rain through out the year than either two.

Good luck!

Cordially,
Sheppard

GrassChopper
12-05-2001, 09:29 AM
I live 30 minutes east of Orlando on the Space Coast. Like it was said before, if they have ST. Augustine and irrigation, the grass will never stop growing.

As for the land, it runs from 2k an acre in the north part of the county to 45k an acre where I live. City prices are higher of course.

Bunton Guy
12-05-2001, 10:26 AM
Well I cant thank you guys enough this spring I will come down and check out some areas. My grandparents where they live (spring hill ) has mostly St. Aug grass (flortam) And even those yards with the irrigation are dyin off. They had a water restriction were you can only water once a week now I beleive its twice a week but most yards are to far gone. I dont know if this went for the yards that had well water ? From what I know most have wells that give the water for there irrigation . If I dont move down there I will really be dissapointed I have put so much thought into it and I am tired of this cold weather...I hate working when its so cold out. My goal would be to collect as many commercial acounts down in Florida as I can I dont know how hard and how different it is to get those accounts. It seemed in Charlotte nc...like there is a infinate amount of commercial acounts to grab.

lawrence stone
12-05-2001, 11:05 AM
Cold in NC? You need to butch up a bit.

Unless you want to take a pay cut AND work all year you should stay at your present location.

Everything in FLA is hurtin big time. Stay away unless you are a tourist.

Fantasy Lawns
12-05-2001, 12:57 PM
those yards with irrigation are dying because they more than likely since established they have watered too offend & too little …..the st aug is very lazy grass …..spoiled rotten n now has shallow root system ….then when the dry hot comes or cinch bugs come it can’t handle it ….even with restrictions (which in many area has been 3 years)

the st aug needs about 2-3 weekly water events …..with ¾ inch per event (flowers beds n more) ….many people have their system not watering long enough to provide a deep …..single drink which will encourage a longer deeper root system

the commercial market down here is TIGHT …..many of the larger nice jobs WILL check for all legal paper work …n “Word of Mouth” is the only form of advo ….many of the smaller strip malls or stand alone buildings are so cheap any guy with a bent shaft weed wacker n 21” is doing it on the weekend

the above average n premium resi’s is the best place to start ….good luck in your decision ;->

trimmer
12-05-2001, 06:55 PM
I live about 1 hour from Orlando and drive there to go to school 2-4 times a week and haven't seen to many dried out lawns. I drive through Metro West and they have St. Augustine up and down the streets and it is a deep green. They have the same restrictions as everyone else does so that is not the reason. Land around me goes for about 10,000 and I am in a "rural" area. God only knows what it goes for closer to Orlando.

Grassman
12-05-2001, 07:39 PM
I live in between Orlando and Tampa, about 30mls from both. The competition is FIERCE, land prices are sky high, the weather is dry and hot, and the economy sucks. Come on down and join the fun! Russ

mowerman90
12-05-2001, 09:38 PM
I live in Spring Hill (where your grandparents live) and I can tell you that the 70 accounts that I maintain are healthy as can be. It was touch and go there for a while, but with eased restrictions now, things should get back to normal. Twice per week watering over the winter is more than enough for Floratam to thrive with proper care.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-05-2001, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ChadsLawn
My parents live just outside of te Brandon/Tampa area and they paid $19.900 for 1 acre..Buying land or a home down here isnt cheap at all..

Chad

Say what!!!!!!!!! Land by my house goes for $250,000 and up per an acre. You say that aint cheap, try and live here.

Hech I would pay $20k for an acre of land in FLA that's not SWAMP land.