PDA

View Full Version : Advertising/Marketing

lawnoasis
01-28-2000, 09:02 PM
How much and where do you spend your advertising dollars per year. Flyers, mailers, bill boards, cold calls? What would you spend on mailers and how many do you distribute? Thanks for the info.<p>in Neb.

HOMER
01-29-2000, 10:06 AM
Yellow Pages, $300.00 per month. It works, just paid too much for the ad, took out a big ad to get on top of competition. Still getting 3-4 calls a week and picking up business in the middle of winter. I think flyers are a temporary thing, a phone book is in all houses.<p>Homer

bdemir
01-29-2000, 10:23 AM
homer where are you located. Because some cities are full of lawncompanies in the yellowpages.

HOMER
01-29-2000, 10:44 AM
South Al. The ones in the book are the ones with most of the business. I know it has helped me but it is just too expensive. I tried everything else and it didn't make a difference, other than word of mouth. I can and will go with a much smaller ad next year or just let it be listed in the white pages. You also have to have a business line in order to place a yellow page ad! <p>Homer

nlminc
01-29-2000, 11:01 AM
I spend my money on mailings. In my area there are hunderds of landscapers in the yellow pages and when I first advertised there I got shoppers, some saying that they were getting 8 or 12 quotes! I discontinued that ad the following year and now only go with direct mail. I've mailed out 10,000 pro. printed flyers in march and still get calls from it 6-10 months later. I think the yellow pages are alright if the section is not overcrowded, all depends on where you live. Yes, everyone has one in the house, but the customer opens your flyer/letter and will not see any of your competition only your business and your sales pitch.<p>Chris

HOMER
01-29-2000, 11:21 AM
Good point, how much does it cost to go the direct mail route? Do you get a break on the posatage or not? I might try another phone book next year. Pioneer also puts out a phone book and I heard their yellow page ads are much cheaper. <p>Homer

nlminc
01-29-2000, 12:55 PM
Homer, I spent approx. $700.00 on the flyers to be printed, 2 different flyers, because I market 2 seperate markets 30 miles apart and the address info is not the same, 2 color, folded 10,000 flyers all together. I paid full rate on the postage and split the cost with a fert. company that I included in the flyer as an added service. The post office will give you a better rate, but I was only sending out one mailing and the trouble of all the sorting you have to do was not worth it to me. 1 thing they make you do is sort by zip code, I live in a seasonal area and everyones homes address comes up all over the country, so I wasn't about to sort thru 10,000 flyers to find the 6000-8000 zip code to sort. The addresses cost me under $75.00 and I was able to sort by income, and High to low residential properties. I was getting between 5-18 calls a day for over a month with this one mailing on average. It seemed that my flyer did my selling for me, most people seemed to only call me for a quote and hired me on the spot! <br>This worked for me, I was blown away with the response that I got and I plan on doing it again this season. I want to do a series of mailings this season for reasons that I believe will help me target and gain even more customers. I think if I mail 4 times this season I will get my company name to stick in the minds of these people and be able to generate more business.<p>Chris<p>

HOMER
01-29-2000, 01:18 PM
Lets see here, $775.00 vs. $4,800.00(business line and ad). Sounds like you did better than me! I think I might try that on a smaller scale. I don't need much more business or I won't be able to keep up. What I do want is to target a certain area and I can do that with brochures. I'll be glad when June gets here and I can quit paying for that ad!<p>Homer

lawrence stone
01-29-2000, 01:38 PM
Homer,<p>Go to the county courthouse and ask to see<br>the deed books by city, town, or boro.<p>Write down the owners names and addys of<br>the areas you want new work.<p>Enter the names manually into a Microsoft<br>Access database then print out labels and<br>send out postcards YOURSELF.<p>I am sorry to inform you that yellow page adds tend to attract the worst customers.<br>Plus you can't control your service areas.<br>

JimLewis
01-29-2000, 03:54 PM
We spend a good deal of money on Yellow Pages ads. If you want to be big you gotta do this. But there's a secret. If you can't afford the top position (biggest ad) or at least one of the top 3 in your section (which should be LAWN CARE -- NOT -- Landscaping) then it's not cost effective. The top ad in any given catagory gets 50% of the calls for that catagory. The next 2-3 get 40% and the small ads get less than 3% each. A small ad will rarely pay for itself. This is from personal experience and a lot of research. <p>But, if you can't afford a big ad in your yellow pages, then there are other good options. We use all of these too;<p>Fliers - these are probably the second best form of advertising. The results are always good if you lay enough of them and you control which areas you want to target. Also, I only use black and white one sided fliers. They look very professional and have nice graphics, content, etc. But I get as much response from my 2 cent black and white copies as I ever did with my nice folded color ones. <p>Mailers - in my opinion, these are just the lazy man' way to lay fliers. And it doesn't get as much response or attention as a flier on the door does. Mailers get thrown away as junk mail a lot more often than fliers do. Still, they have their use. If you want to bomb 50,000 households all at once then this is how you do it. But it can be very expensive. <p>Joint Mailer Ads - This is a VERY lucritive deal. Recently I was approached by a local company who sends out coupons magazines only to upscale houses in 3 cities. They approached me with an idea that I loved and took advantage of. They would sell me a full-page, color ad, crafted by a graphic design company in town, for $950. Their usual price is $1350. This is per month. They hit 50,000 households. Now, here's the clencher! They had the idea to form a &quot;Landscapers Cooperative&quot;, where I would list a variety of services and boxes at the bottom that said &quot;For City A - call 555-1212. For City B call 555-1213, etc....&quot; I went and sold each &quot;box&quot; to different landscapers in my area. Each box sold for up to $300. So if a customer was in City A and wanted a service they'd call him. City B would call my number, and city C would call another friend of mine. Now I went a step further and split the page into two halves. The top half was the Landscape Maintenance section and the bottom was the Landscape Contractor's section. I sold the bottom half to landscapers in this area the same way as the top half was divided. (In City A - call....) I sold these boxes to all the other companies and the total I brought in was $1100. I got my number in there for my city for totally free PLUS I made another $150. So I'll get the benefit of hitting the 15,000 or so homes that are targeted in my city for free! Any of you could do this. <p>Billboards - heck no. Are you crazy? They cost WAY too much. That's for huge companies. <p>Cold calls - tried it. Hated it. Response was decent. I got about 1 lead for every 30 calls. And I was targeting certain areas. But I couldn't handle the rejection. It sucked. If you got an iron will go ahead. It's a decent way to get leads. Otherwise it may be a good idea to hire a telemarketing company. They charge about $30 an hour. But the results could be worth it. <p>Signs, Truck lettering, etc. - This is a no brainer. In my opinion if you don't have a good, easy to recognize logo, USM, and phone number on your truck you are wasting valuable ad space. It costs me $80 to put lettering on our trucks. And they are the best looking logos and lettering in town. I just shopped around. We also use tent signs when we are at a job site for any good length of time. People can't see the side of a truck as they drive by as well as they can see a sign that's focused right at them. These are cheap forms of advertising that will work for years to come. <p>The Newspaper - most newspaper classifieds have a special section for &quot;Lawn care&quot; or &quot;Home Services&quot; or something. We get GREAT response from these - but only in the spring. Every other time of year is a waste of money. They do tend to attract a lower class of homeowners so you have to weed out the bad ones but you learn that over time. <p>Website - I am telling you guys. Over time, people are going to look on the web for all sorts of stuff. Even lawn maintenance. They already do. I got my first customer the other day strictly from a search engine. That doesn't happen very ofen but it will happen more and more in the future. Having a good web site and getting listed on the top 10 most used search engines will be very important in the coming years. <p>That's about all I can think of. And I am exhausted typing. Hope that helps. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

lawrence stone
01-29-2000, 04:17 PM
RE: joint mailer ads<p>I do much the same thing as you do but on a <br>smaller scale. I form a data base of all the<br>hi end residential property transfers from<br>the pervious claendar year.<p>I then solicit 3 other non-competiave home based businees to go in on the deal.<br>I send out the small 20 cent size postcards<br>four times per season the chuck that database and start fresh next year.<p>This gives you four business card size spots<br>on the back of the postcard. Place your<br>ad in the upper left hand corner.<p>I do not do this on a large scale since my residential area is tight and<br>compact to achieve density.<p>If you can pay for the costs of the printing<br>postage and pay for your time to enter the<br>databases you get free advertising by using<br>this system.<p>I do no other form of residential advertising. In fact I<br>don't even have a name on any of my trucks<br>just the pesticide license number in <br>the smallest letters allowed by law.<p>My attitude is that there are only so many<br>GOOD accounts and I want to leave the rest <br>to divide between the lessor contractors<br>in my service area.

tim
01-29-2000, 06:51 PM
Homer, Last year I placed an 8x11 single page flier in the newspaper and sent to 10,000 homes in the areas I wanted to target based on zip codes. Most people said they would just get lost in all the other &quot;junk&quot; but a friend gave me a tip. I had the paper insert them into the tv program rather than just loose. The idea was that at least they would take my flier out to throw it away , but have it in hand for a second. It cost me $400. The best thing is it worked!

bdemir
01-29-2000, 08:21 PM
Homer I think its going to cost a lot more if you mail them because of the postage for 10k flyers is 3200 dollars. I think you forgot to consider that or maybe its cheaper im not sure.

Retro67
01-29-2000, 08:39 PM
I really like the idea of selling spots of advertisement. It's much cheaper, maybe even free or for profit depending on your imagination and the terms you devise. This also gives the appearance of professionalism to the customer, depending on who is chosen to be on the shared space.<p>If done properly, you shouldn't have to beg others to participate the following year. Also, if you lost an ad and had more than one besides your own, you could easily use the existing advertiser(s) as a reference. <p>I think I will experiment with this idea this year and perfect it for my situation.<p>John<p><br>

VWBug61083
01-30-2000, 12:01 AM
Direct-mail has worked the best for me. It's also easy. I had a company mail out 15,000 out and it cost $600. I got a lot of calls. It sure beats going door to door with flyers. Imagine how long it would take you to go to 15,000 houses! Just the flyers alone (in black & white) would cost you at least $500. I got color copies, mailed, with no work for me involved for $600. This is the way to go.

bobbylawn
01-30-2000, 12:18 AM
Hey, guys I go to office depot and get 1000 fliers printed up for about $26. dollars and I have a women that puts them on the doors of the high end areas of my town. Every job that I pick up I give her 50% of the first cut that I charge. This is my second year in this business in March ,and 85%of my 41 res-accounts & 90 % of my 12 commercial accounts was done this way, the rest of my business is word of mouth. I could have a lot more accounts but I pick and choose the local I want . Oh! and by the way I have a 52in lazer , & a 51in dizon & I work aloan.I gave her a 32 in tv for christmas.<br>

JimLewis
01-31-2000, 01:27 AM
Staples will do black and white copies (for fliers, etc.) for 2 cents a copy. That's $20 for 1000. You can get them as low as 1.8 cents a copy if you do really large quantities. About the best deal around. Don't know if Staples are in every state but they're all over the NW. <p>Jim<p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

Williams Services
01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Going to revive this thread for a bit.
Jim, on your flyers, do you just leave a standard, explanation of service with a range of rates type flyer, or do you leave a quote for each house? Also, what type of neighborhoods are you targeting (size of yard, house, etc.), and do you offer any services as stand-alone, such as fertilization?

JimLewis
01-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Wow! You brought up a thread from 4 years ago!!! I wasn't even subscribed anymore. Good thing I happened to see this... LOL.

First, I want to say that I take back everything I said above about the Yellow Pages. After 3 years of various YP ads, I pulled them alltogether. I think they are one of the worst ROI out there. I don't recommend YP ads anymore. That's just my opinion.

As for my flyers, that information is a little old as well. I did use Black and White Flyers for years and years with good success. Staples STILL makes B&W copies for about 2 cents if you buy more than 200 of them. It's their "economy rate" they call it. So you have to ask for it. Here is the one I used last - this was in about 2002 I suppose;

http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Flyer.bmp

From that flyer, you can see how I approached the price issue. And as you can see, we list other stand-alone services that we do too.

In 2003, I had some nicer full-color flyers made up. I found out that if you get them done in mass, they cost about 7 cents each. Even though that's more than the 2 cents I was paying, I figured it was worth it for the quality I was getting. So since 2003, these are the flyers I've been using;

http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/NewFlyer.html

If you scroll down, you can see where I actually write in the price for their landscape. So each flyer has it's own customized price quote on it.

After doing this for 2 years, I am not sure I advocate it. This year, I think if we do any flyers, they will be nice, full-color, 2 sided door hangers. And I won't write in a price. I will just have them call for an estimate.

After having done it both ways, I think I found better results WITHOUT the customized estimate written right on the flyer. I think we got more calls and landed more accounts before we wrote the price on the flyers. Plus, when they have to call to find out your price, that gives you an opportunity to meet with them face to face and I always do much better in that arena. I think I'd prefer people call me and I go meet with them or at least drop off an estimate form that gives them a better idea of what they get with each package. Then, I think I'll land a higher percentage of accounts.

But I still have about 6,000 of the 10,000 color flyers I originally had made. So I don't know what I am going to do with those. We really haven't had to do much flyers the past few years.

Finally, what I said about web sites back in 2000 has come true even more than I thought. Today, we get over half of our newleads as a result of our website and other internet related marketing that I do. If you don't have a good website or you aren't marketing it, you are missing the boat.

Flex-Deck
01-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I am more into commercial - I spend a day or so driving around, looking at commercial properties.
1. If the LCO doing the job is doing a good job, I stop in and give the person in charge of hiring the LCO a business card and a bid, and tell them that they have a good person doing the job, and I do not expect them to change LCO's unless the LCO they have starts slacking on quality, or unless they want something more. Then "give me a call"

2. If I have no clue as to who is doing the mowing and see a property which is being abused as to quality - "I am talking about pulling in with a 15 foot batwing mower on a big farm tractor, with no trimming" - It looks like crap before they started mowing, and it just looks like shorter crap when they are done. ---------- In this case I present an official bid as to what we can do and it includes pictures of properties we now do, as well as bid quotes. This is the best approach I have ever used.

3. In order to get the pictures of properties we do, I had to bid pretty low to get into the ball game. Now that I am there, I am selling our service.

Williams Services
01-19-2005, 06:42 PM
That's a nice looking flyer, Jim. I always like seeing your work. We're using a semi-professional layout, made on MS Publisher (Bars letterhead, Pebbles color scheme), with some color scattered throughout, targeting mostly postage stamp yards, $60,000 and up houses, mostly around the city. We give beginning rates for some programs. This is a chemical only company, with the exception of grass seeding. What kind of results do you think we should see?

Smithers
01-19-2005, 08:39 PM
targeting mostly postage stamp yards, $60,000 and up houses, mostly around the city.

you must live in a very rural area. a ghetto house in our area would not be less than $100K. no offense.

here, the average is about $250-$300K.

JimLewis
01-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I find it hilarious that this thread has been around for almost 5 years and just got "moved" to the appropriate forum today. :laugh:

Smithers
01-19-2005, 09:32 PM
it's funny to read something that you wrote years back....and see what your opinion was then and how it evolved over the years, right jim?

interesting. i'd never advertise with the YP. I never look up anything in the pages. it's all on the net. if they are not on the net, i dont want their business.

i just have to start my website again.

do you know of any good template sites?

Williams Services
01-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Petrentz - it's country, not rural. ;)
And no, it's not all that rural, that was a low estimate ... however, the cost of living, I guarantee you, is lower here than there. :D

Here's a link to a $79,000 (average) house around here.
http://meybohm.com/viewhome.asp?From=feat&ID=252632

Smithers
01-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Petrentz - it's country, not rural. ;)
And no, it's not all that rural, that was a low estimate ... however, the cost of living, I guarantee you, is lower here than there. :D

Here's a link to a $79,000 (average) house around here.
http://meybohm.com/viewhome.asp?From=feat&ID=252632
i'd like 4 of those, please... :)

Groundcover Solutions
01-20-2005, 12:53 AM
man if you could get a house like that around hear for that price I would have bought a house when i got out of highschool!!!! I am moving.. LOL

JimLewis
01-20-2005, 02:49 AM
it's funny to read something that you wrote years back....and see what your opinion was then and how it evolved over the years, right jim?

Yah, it's hilarious some times. The other day I just realized you could click on a User's name and one of the options is "find all posts by User". So I did that for myself. And I went to some of my first posts I made back in 1999 and 2000. Some of them were still about what I would say today. But some were way different than the advice I would give today. It was very funny.

interesting. i'd never advertise with the YP. I never look up anything in the pages. it's all on the net. if they are not on the net, i dont want their business. Well, I can't say the YP don't have their place. All I can say is I've realized that I am not ready for them yet. My local Yellow Pages covers 4 counties and like 20 different cities. Of those, I only cover 1 county and about 5 cities. So right off the bat, 75% of the people reading my ad aren't in my area of coverage. That's a waste right there. In addition, I found that I only got enough calls to pay for the ad for maybe 5 or 6 months out of the year. The other 6 or 7 months I actually lost money on the ad. And for 4 months - no matter how big of an ad I had - I got ZERO calls. Yet, I was still paying $750 every month. Just didn't make sense.

Now I think the Yellow Pages WOULD work for someone who had a large enough operation to cover all of the cities and counties covered in the book. Then, you'd be able to take advantage of every caller and it may work out for you. But I am nowhere near that big yet. So my conclusion is that big yellow pages aren't appropriate for 90% of LCOs out there. i just have to start my website again. Do you know of any good template... Not really. I am fortunate to have a great website designer in my family (my cousin) who does it all for me for very cheap. So I didn't make mine from a template. My cousin did most of it, I just direct him as to what I want it to look like.

I do know that the generic website templates they have at NetworkSolutions.com are pretty nice and VERY easy to set up. Last year, I made a website for my friend and it only took us about 30 minutes to set up his domain and his website. It was very cheap too. Check it out at www.jacksonpainting.com . It's not the best website around, but it ain't bad - especially for the price.

tonygreek
01-20-2005, 01:37 PM
y'know, until i saw the post indicating it was a revived thread, i had no clue. great job digging it up.

jim, that was a fantastic thread. i though i'd read the bulk of your work, but i'd missed this one. i love seeing you revisit the thoughts you had then vs. now.

as for yellow pages, i'd agree with the top listings getting the bulk of the calls. one thing i tested for my replacement window company was only running the standard business listing, which put it 2nd from the last listing of a hundred or so (Windows & Co. was the name). clark howard (author, radio host, consumer advocate) always recommends people start at the back, as those companies might offer the best rates. to my detriment, it was true. i had guys wanting windows installed for $75 bucks. we switched to display ads and it did well, but i still prefer the targeted marketing of flyers, inserts, and direct mailings. of course, like you, i am most enamored by web marketing. if people realized what a well-built, and marketed, site could do for them, they'd be stunned by the ROI.

tony

Mark McC
02-13-2005, 07:29 PM
if people realized what a well-built, and marketed, site could do for them, they'd be stunned by the ROI.

tony

Care to offer some numbers? I'm all ears.

tinman
02-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Hey Jim,

Interested to get your thoughts on the Black & white fliers.... Still use those at all? Guessing you're not, but I'd like to know. Thanks.

JimLewis
02-16-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't use the Black and White flyers any longer. Simply because I don't need to. I found out that if you buy in bulk (10,000 or more) then you can get the cost of full-color flyers almost down to the price of black and white. The last flyers I had made were 2 sided, full color, on very thick card stock paper with photos, several colors, etc. and they ended up costing me like 5 cents each if I remember correctly.

I think Black and White are fine if that's all you can afford. I built my business using them. I always got a good response. In fact, I'd wager to say I probably got as good or better response with those than I do with my nice color flyers.

Jim

Tom Gs
02-16-2005, 06:59 PM
4 color process is the only way to go..........8 1/2 x 14 max. for the flyer........send out as much as you can handle-in terms of risk.......My budget for marketing with flyers, at one time, was 25-27% of gross revenues.

Good Luck!

tonygreek
02-16-2005, 09:28 PM
"My budget for marketing with flyers, at one time, was 25-27% of gross revenues."

jeeeeezus.... sure beats the 4-10% "rule of thumb" or so of total marketing budget relative to gross. did you track client capture and re-ups for following years based upon the initial %, which obviously is either a small amount or a huge amount relative to your gross at the time. if you did 10k that year, it's not an astonishing number. if you did 50k that year, i'm all ears.

roushjh
02-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Would any of you share some examples of black and white flyers you've used in the past? I'm getting ready to have 2000 distributed on doors, and am having a hard time coming up with the flyer. I know that's not a lot, but the distribution company says they've had other LCO's in the area get 15-20 calls from 2000, and that's about all I'm looking for. I'm part time, and word of mouth has already got me about 1/3 of the business I'm wanting this year.

Thanks in advance, :)

John
roushjh2@yahoo.com

Tom Gs
02-17-2005, 09:20 AM
"My budget for marketing with flyers, at one time, was 25-27% of gross revenues."

jeeeeezus.... sure beats the 4-10% "rule of thumb" or so of total marketing budget relative to gross. did you track client capture and re-ups for following years based upon the initial %, which obviously is either a small amount or a huge amount relative to your gross at the time. if you did 10k that year, it's not an astonishing number. if you did 50k that year, i'm all ears.

The heck with rule of thumb number of 4-10% of total marketing budget!If I adhered to that philosophy(MartyGrunder),I'd be nowhere.

Every dollar spent yielded three, except one year where it did not do well at all.(One year, I spent all my prepayments on flyers!) But I was determined to make it right so I downsized my flyer in 2004 to 8 1/2 x 14 and it has worked very well.

This year my flyer budget will be at 12% of gross revenues. It still makes me a little nervous spending that amount but I'm confident about this flyer since its an evoultion of last year's.

tonygreek
02-17-2005, 11:12 AM
as you noticed, i used the wide spread of 4-10%, and dependent upon the source, you'll see towards 15%, so i put little stock into it (with a marketing degree, i quickly discounted the rule of thumb due to inconsistency and subjectiveness from text to text) and it should be what's appropriate for each business. whether that's marty's recommendation, i woudln't know. i live in his city, have used him for work, but his living is better made from his self-help guru stuff than his actual business.

good to see your roi has been what you hoped. have you tracked it year over year with regard to initial customer sign-ups based on the 27% budget and those same initial clients retention rates? ie, that initial 27%, based on desired company growth, should be scaled back in successive years due to retention related to customer loss related to additional growth. clear as mud... :)

Tom Gs
02-17-2005, 11:31 AM
as you noticed, i used the wide spread of 4-10%, and dependent upon the source, you'll see towards 15%, so i put little stock into it (with a marketing degree, i quickly discounted the rule of thumb due to inconsistency and subjectiveness from text to text) and it should be what's appropriate for each business. whether that's marty's recommendation, i woudln't know. i live in his city, have used him for work, but his living is better made from his self-help guru stuff than his actual business.

good to see your roi has been what you hoped. have you tracked it year over year with regard to initial customer sign-ups based on the 27% budget and those same initial clients retention rates? ie, that initial 27%, based on desired company growth, should be scaled back in successive years due to retention related to customer loss related to additional growth. clear as mud... :)
Not really, new customers are very hard to keep. The numbers are scaled back because of increased revenues= less money spent on the overall budget of marketing(flyers). This means, obviously, client retention is very high.

bigviclbi
02-18-2005, 12:27 AM
I go to staples and buy there color paper with flower border then get copies printed on it in black ink. They look nice and and they are cheap since its black ink only. I just ordered color doorhangers so we'll see how that goes.

7mtnsod
02-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Is anyone out there trying magnetic business cards? Placing them on storm doors or mailboxes? We have found these work well and lets be honest out there.....if you've ever been given a magnetic business card chances are its still on your fridge?

Anyone have any luck with these?

The landscaper
02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Where did the guy who sent out 15000 mailers for 600 bucks get em done?

tonygreek
02-18-2005, 11:18 AM
by "sent out", do you mean inclusive of postage?
15,000 mailers would cost +/- $3,000 to send out.

b727guru
02-18-2005, 12:47 PM
This may sound like the dumbest questions asked but this is all new to me and I haven't read any details from the pros/old timers here:

So once I have the flyers printed; how do I go about getting them mailed to certain subdivisions within a zip code?

I dont's want to send to all the neighborhoods in that zip, just a few high end ones.

Do you go the Post Office and pay the postage for tha mass mailings and then what?

The landscaper
02-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I thought I read a post about some paying only 600 to have his mailers printed and delivered....Maybe I was wrong. Ill go back and check

The landscaper
02-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Direct-mail has worked the best for me. It's also easy. I had a company mail out 15,000 out and it cost $600. I got a lot of calls. It sure beats going door to door with flyers. Imagine how long it would take you to go to 15,000 houses! Just the flyers alone (in black & white) would cost you at least $500. I got color copies, mailed, with no work for me involved for $600. This is the way to go.

There it is, Am I reading this wrong? Post number 15

tonygreek
02-18-2005, 04:36 PM
first, that post was from 5 years ago. second, he only posted here for a short time and in a related thread he told the same story and never answered follow-ups for what his mailing actually was. if he wasn't high as a kite, the only way he could have done what he claimed would be in a coupon mailing insert, ala valpak, and even that's a low price, but again it's year 2000 dollars we're talking about. basically, his story was "full color flyers printed and mailed at 4 cents per".

as solo mailings go (ie, not coupon mailers), there is no way around a figure that's in that ballpark 3 grand in postage.

Williams Services
02-18-2005, 04:48 PM
I don't use the Black and White flyers any longer. Simply because I don't need to. I found out that if you buy in bulk (10,000 or more) then you can get the cost of full-color flyers almost down to the price of black and white. The last flyers I had made were 2 sided, full color, on very thick card stock paper with photos, several colors, etc. and they ended up costing me like 5 cents each if I remember correctly.

I think Black and White are fine if that's all you can afford. I built my business using them. I always got a good response. In fact, I'd wager to say I probably got as good or better response with those than I do with my nice color flyers.

Jim

Jim, just out of curiosity, where do you get them done at that cost?

tonygreek
02-18-2005, 04:50 PM
48hourprint.com or vistaprint.com

Williams Services
02-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks, Tony.

AdamCByrd
02-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Gents,

How do you make the door hangers? Do you tape them on the doors, or lay stick them in a mail box (illegal I'm told), or do they make a special door hanger kinda like the one you find on your door at a hotel...with a loop/hook for the doorknob. Can you recommend any good printing companies?

thanks
Adam

The landscaper
02-20-2005, 07:25 PM
They are like the hotel ones yes..They may have them at vistaprint.com. I have never looked on there for them though.