PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Dimension

sbvfd592
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok so I am not a applicator at all know very little about it. But I love my lawn. I live in SW CT. I was driving by my lesco branch and thought it was time to put down some fert. I asked the guy at the counter what i should put down for CG and weed and feed but i want to seed some bare spots in my lawn. He said you should put down dimension. (this was two weeks ago.) just don't seed for 2 weeks. Was he on crack? all i here is 6-8 weeks on the board. i did seed the spots just for the heck of it tonight. I also see a lot of clover and other weeds popping up in my lawn now. I set the spreader to what was recommend and all.
How should i handle the lawn for the rest of the year?

Hissing Cobra
04-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, first of all, you don't really want to seed in the springtime unless you absolutely have to. The reason? You'll be trying to grow your seed at the same time that Mother Nature is trying to grow her seeds (Crabgrass and Weeds). More often than not, she will win out! When seeding in the springtime, you CANNOT apply conventional controls for Crabgrass (Pre-M, Dimension, etc...) or Weeds (Three-Way, Trimec, Eliminate-D, Speedzone Southern, etc...) because these products will stunt your seed's growth. Without these products, you will run the great risk of having everything that you've planted as coming up as Crabgrass or Weeds. More often than not, people see poor results because they've planted in the spring or summer. Because you've thrown down your seed, you need to make a crucial decision. Invest in the high priced Starter Fertilizer with Siduron and apply it at 3 week intervals until the lawn is full and thick - OR - apply Fertilizer + Dimension and kill off your seed but give yourself 90 days of Crabgrass control, then you can reseed in Late August. Either way, you need Crabgrass protection! Without it, you've wasted your money on the seed!

That being said, you can seed in the springtime if you have the finances to buy the proper products. A granular Starter Fertilizer with Siduron can be used to grow your seed (Starter Fertilizer) and stunt Crabgrass seeds (Siduron) but it's pricey. A bag of that retails for $114.00 or so vs. $34.00 for a regular bag of just Starter Fertilizer. The Starter Fertilizer with Siduron produces the best results when it's applied at 3 week intervals until the lawn is full enough to be mowed twice. Once it's been mowed twice, you can use conventional Crabgrass Pre-emergent controls such as Dimension.

Ideally, I recommend to customers to clean up their yard in the springtime and summer, thus producing a crabgrass/weedfree lawn in which to plant each fall. By this, I mean to start a good program such as this.

April 15th - 19-0-6 Fertilizer + Dimension (90 days of Crabgrass control - wears off around July 15th)
May 27th* - 19-0-6 Fertilizer + Dimension (90 MORE days of Crabgrass control - wears off around August 27th - doubles your protection from May 27th through July 15th)
July 8th - 24-0-8 Fertilizer + Merit (Grub Preventative product)
August 19th - 28-5-12 Fertilizer + Iron
September 30th - 21-3-21 Fertilizer + Iron
Anytime - Dolomitic Limestone applied at 50 lbs. per 1,000 sq.ft.

*Weeds are usually popping up at this time. You'll get more control if you spray these with a liquid weed control that's mixed up in a 1-gallon pump up sprayer.

If you're seeding in the Fall, best results will be had in Connecticut if you Aerate/Overseed or Slice Seed during the last week of August or the first week of September. This will give you 8 weeks of excellent growing weather with NO Crabgrass competition and very minimal weed competition. Remember, you'll need 10-30 days for seed germination (depending upon which seed you select) and an additional 21-30 days to grow those blades to be thick and healthy. If seeding during this time, Substitute a Starter Fertilizer (18-24-12) on the August 19th date and reapply it at 3 week intervals until the lawn is full and thick. Once you've reached that point, you can apply a Winterizer (21-3-21) to finish off your season.

Lawncare is not hard if you follow a certain schedule and work with Mother Nature instead of against her.

Good luck!

Jason Rose
04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Well said Cobra. I try to tell this to people who call me in the spring wanting their lawn overseeded... I don't even try to do them anymore. Waste of my time, even though I get paid either way, I feel guilty to giving them a lawn full of crabgrass and weeds in place of the rather expensive seed I just put down.

Not sure where you get your supplies, but the prices you quoted are out of sight! If you are really paying $34 for starter, you better look for a new supplier! ( I know it's gone thru the roof lately, but I just paid $18.50 for 12-20-12)

I've used tupersan with starter before for spring seeding. Yes it's expensive! The follow-up, applying it again in no more than 3 to 4 weeks is key, and then after that applying a normal application of a premergent of your choice.

Hissing Cobra
04-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks Jason. Those prices I quoted are from John Deere Landscapes (I work there) and those are the "Retail" prices. Of course, customers who buy large volumes from us don't pay nearly that much. With my employee discount, I get everything at 10% over cost.:)

PSUTURFGEEK
04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I agree well said, but you might want to substitute 10-20-20 for the 18-24-12 being that it's like 25.00/bag.

rcreech
04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Some good points....but I seed all spring and even summer.

If you let them know they need to water and that weed extra weed control is needed it is a great success!

I seeded 2 lawns in August and we were in a serious drought and high temps. After they watered for a couple of weeks....they are now the nicest lawns in the area.

Moral of the story, you can seed in the spring and summer....it just isn't as easy as the fall!

RABBITMAN11
04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
I agree with creech but prefer fall

amscapes03
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Hissing Cobra
Well written, excellent info, easy to understand!!! Have you ever considered writing a book on the subject? Thanks for sharing.

Hissing Cobra
04-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Some good points....but I seed all spring and even summer.

If you let them know they need to water and that weed extra weed control is needed it is a great success!

I seeded 2 lawns in August and we were in a serious drought and high temps. After they watered for a couple of weeks....they are now the nicest lawns in the area.

Moral of the story, you can seed in the spring and summer....it just isn't as easy as the fall!

I agree with what you've said. If you're a lawncare operator and have spray capabilities, you can beat Mother Nature. Unfortunately, I deal with a lot of homeowners who have no clue about lawncare and couldn't blanket spray a lawn if they wanted to. I try to recommend the Starter Fertilizer with Siduron or the spraying of Drive to keep Crabgrass under control as it sprouts. If they can wait until the Fall, I let them know that they won't need the Siduron or the Drive and that they'll save money.

mngrassguy
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Good advice Cobra....

Hissing Cobra
04-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Hissing Cobra
Well written, excellent info, easy to understand!!! Have you ever considered writing a book on the subject? Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. No books but just some good info to try and help as many people as I can.

sbvfd592
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
WOW thanks that was the best advise i have seen in a long time on the board !!!!

BCNU
04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
The closest Lesco is about 80 miles from me and I was wondering if there is another brand of fertilizer with the dimension in it. Thanks in advance for any information!

RigglePLC
04-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Dimension is now the most common type of crabgrass control. Any garden store or dept will have it. Also Ace hardware. Chemical name is dithiopyr. (Scotts still uses pendimethalin).

rcreech
04-19-2008, 11:33 PM
If they would just give us Tenacity on the turf side we wouldn't even have to worry weed pressure in new seedings!

Hopefully next year!

I was really looking forword to using it this year!

Oh Well!