PDA

View Full Version : Sprinker and Irrigation Question for a Rookie

FM2920
12-04-2001, 12:32 PM
I would like to provide this service in the future, however, I have no idea how to do it. I can subcontract this work out to a buddy at a discounted rate, around $200. I believe that if I can learn this trade and become insured and licensed I can increase my revenue several times over than subing the work out.

My question is, where do I start, are there any "How To" books out there?

Thanks for any info.

Jet boater
12-04-2001, 12:59 PM
$200 for what!!??

They're not to hard to do if you research. I put my own in a couple of years ago and irrigated 1.5 of 2 acres. Cost approx. $3,500 in materials. 50 Maxi-Paw heads, 12 zones. Learned all of this from literature available from sprinkler component supply houses, Rainbird web site, engr calculations.

Main things to pay attention to is head overlap, GPM/head depending on sweep, GPM/zone versus availability from source, pressure drop calcs through lines, correct drain and anti-siphon positioning. Also check your source static and dynamic (flowing) pressure. May need a boost pump in some senarios. Need to lay out zones on a site drawing and plan head overlaps. Other than that just alot of hard grunt work.

HBFOXJr
12-06-2001, 09:37 AM
It's all been said a bunch of times before. Just look at some of my old posts.

I believe you have to be licensed as an irrigator in TX. Find out from the state about qualifications and training.