PDA

View Full Version : Lesco spreaders throwing to the right?

GreenHor7
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Is it just me but does it seem like all lesco spreaders throw to the right very heavy or is it just me. I am not a newbie but i have noticed a little stripping do to this. Any thoughts or suggestions.

jonlavonne
04-17-2008, 09:59 PM
try closing the third hole, it seems to help some.

bug-guy
04-18-2008, 06:52 AM
agree with the above the thrid hole might need to be 1/2 closed play with it if it's an old spreader you might have to "fix" it to stay where you want it

buttaluv
04-18-2008, 09:28 AM
I always heard that was a problem with these spreaders...but Knock on wood..knock, knock, I have not had it in the 3 years, I've been doing it commercially!

PSUTURFGEEK
04-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I have found that the 4:1 Ratio Lesco spreaders are the most even Lesco spreader they have ever made, Big companies like Chemlawn will only buy the Hippo and Rhino models which are made by Lesco for them only, and the reason for it is consistentcy with inexperienced applicators, if you ask your lesco rep he can get you a new one or you can change yours back yourself.

lawncuttinfoo
04-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I have found that the 4:1 Ratio Lesco spreaders are the most even Lesco spreader they have ever made, Big companies like Chemlawn will only buy the Hippo and Rhino models which are made by Lesco for them only, and the reason for it is consistentcy with inexperienced applicators, if you ask your lesco rep he can get you a new one or you can change yours back yourself.

What exactly do I ask them to do?

Mine started throwing to one side when the throwing disc got bent up after the spreader took a nose dive into my trailer side when I turned too fast.

teeca
04-20-2008, 09:49 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of lesco spreaders... many on here will do a counter cloclwise rotation around the lawn to avoid striping (like i do in my PG ultra and magnum) and others will buy the sr2000 and have no more problems of this nature because the lesco sucks and they know there is a problem, but people just adjust to it and keep swearing by them. SR2000! all the way!

Jason Rose
04-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Ok, what brand of fertilizer are you using? That will answer some of the questions on actually streaks if you are seeing some.

Also, The Lesco spreaders APPEAR to throw more to one side than the other, but it's not really what you are seeing. It simply thorws more of an arc to one side than the other, but the side that has the greater arc to it actually is thowing the same amount of material as the other side.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw streaks in a lawn I fertilized with a Lesco spreader, using Lesco or another high quality professional fertilizer, going up and back with my passes.

The only spreader I use in a "circle" is the Permagreen. SImply because it's a lot easier to operate it in this manner. Yes, it also gurantees "no streaks", providing you space your passes right.

teeca
04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
i've done the pan test on the lesco, and it is differant. and i messed with it for a day trying to correct it with no luck. the sr2000 is a simple twist of the cone. the best thing is that you can adjust the cone anytime and your application rate (calibration) never changes.

RigglePLC
04-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Put out 10 paper plates and push through them. Count the particles in each plate. Readjust and try again. Remember the hole on the left controls the amount thrown to the right. Close it part way. Try closeing the holes partially with duct tape until you get a good pattern.

Make sure any residue built up on the impeller or hopper is removed.

I calibrated very carefully, three times last winter in my supplier's warehouse. And now the setting is off--too much is flowing out.

Does temperature affect the flow rate? What about humidity?

teeca
04-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Does temperature affect the flow rate? What about humidity? (and dont foreget the SGN)

yes! thats what makes the sr2000 a far better spreader!! you can make adjustments in the field with out changing the calibration like a lesco that you need to close/open ports.

carcrz
04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I know that my Lesco spreads more to the right. You can really see it when spreading salt melting products or seed.

OSCLandscaping
04-22-2008, 06:35 PM
What exactly do I ask them to do?

Mine started throwing to one side when the throwing disc got bent up after the spreader took a nose dive into my trailer side when I turned too fast.

Check to make sure the spinner shaft hasn't come out at the top. I had this happen to me after dropping my spreader out of a truck, it took me a while to figure out what was wrong.

lawncuttinfoo
04-27-2008, 09:31 PM
The shaft is still in mine.
What happened for me is that spinning plate bent upward pushing the thin metal piece (that oscillates the little tines in the hopper) upward and off the plastic portion of the shaft so it was tearing into the plastic.
Now, I need to bend the metal piece down often so that it hits the oval shaped plastic that makes it oscillate the tines.

So what I need to do is replace the whole plastic piece (disc and shaft) it is out of shape but I do not see an easy way to replace it.

RigglePLC
04-27-2008, 10:03 PM
I am not sure I understand your question. If you wish to replace the impeller.
First, using a drift, punch or nail--drive out the roll pin that holds it to the shaft. Second, loosen or remove the 4 bolts that hold the hopper. Raise the hopper up The impeller shaft will drop out of its upper bearing. Clean and lube the bearing, and other moving parts now visible. Slide the old impeller off. Replace it using new roll pin. Reassemble.

treemonkey
04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
It sure would be great if we could fund a test/review of the major fertilizer spreaders to see what the real results are. Maybe Lesco, SR2000, Spyker, and Earthway? 2 or three different products at maybe 2 different rates. The test could be done using the pan calibration technique in a pole barn. Eliminate variables such as walking speed, etc.. It could probably be done for a grand or two if we could get the companies to loan the spreaders.

Everything else is tested and reviewed. Why not spreaders?

From the posts I read at this site, I get the feeling many applicators don't know about the fundamentals of calibration and they ignore the instructions to calibrate that come with the spreader.

Those who claim even distribution left/right......is this just a feeling or a visual (not quantitative) analysis? Do you know for sure? The color of the lawn is only helpful for gross mis-adjustments.

I have to admit that my Lesco is very finicky. But, I am able to get even/tapered distribution adjusting the holes. It's my opinion that Lesco tried to make their spread pattern TOO adjustable to fit every product imaginable. Many guys don't bother to set up their spreaders correctly, thus the heavy pattern to the right.

Like RigglePLC, my spreader occasionally will change output for no apparent reason (spring vs. fall). Maybe the product is not consistent over a season? I do know that the levers/stops, etc. are a bit sensitive depending how hard you push them open, etc.. I catch this because I know approximately how much a half bag of fertilizer should cover. Yes, Lesco could stand some refinements in the area of making them more idiot proof.

Here is an article that shows the concept of calibration:

http://www.members.aol.com/groundkprs/calibration.html

Make sure to click on the links at the bottom.

Sure would be fun to do a comparison. Maybe get a Land Grant University to do it (non-biased)?

FdLLawnMan
04-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Do the Lesco spreaders spread a little more to the right than left? a little maybe but if you watch the pattern and throw the material to the tire track you will be fine. I have used mine for 4 years and have never striped a lawn. Make sure you clean the impeller when using certain fertilizers wen humid. That will cause an uneven pattern also.

RigglePLC
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Great article Treemonkey. I am hopeing some land grant university within about 100 miles from us would be able to do such a comparison test. It would make a good senior project or MS thesis.

Or maybe spreader manufacturers could publish their own results and we could let 'em fight it out. Our spreader's pattern vs brand B, our pattern versus brand C.

I used my Scotts (Anderson) spreader all day today. I used the speedometer which records the square feet covered if you don't mind making a few calculations and assumptions. Never the same twice, but it was usually within about 15 percent of coverage using full bags as a measure. If I try to record the pattern, I use 10 paper plates. Count the particles.