PDA

View Full Version : can i use your bathroom?

bobbygedd
12-04-2001, 01:32 PM
i got really overbooked for leaf cleanup, so i arranged to do some of it together with a gentleman who owns a tree service. well, today, while we were at a job, this guy drops his blower and goes behind the customers shed and, takes a pee. i almost had a heart attack! i could not believe this was happening! when we were done, and got in the truck, i told him, DO NOT EVER DO THAT AGAIN! he said he always does that. but if i wanted him to, from now on he would knock and ask the customer to use the bathroom, i said that is not a great idea either. told him to bring an empty jug and maybe not drink 5 cups of coffee on the way to work. ok, so, is it ok to ask the customer to use the bathroom? am i wrong for freaking?

GreenStar
12-04-2001, 01:36 PM
not at all i carry 3 large gatorade jugs with me at all times. the big ones from kroger. this saves alot of headaches

TLS
12-04-2001, 01:44 PM
This reminds me of that "Famous" Peein' in the bushes from way back.

As for me.... Out of site, out of mind. What the customer cant see, cant hurt them. This time of year, your not going to sweat it out! Only problem is that trees and bushes are bare this time of year, so you really have to look for a good well hidden spot! Some lawns just dont have a "good" spot. Then you just hold it!!!

It's human nature, everybody has to urinate. Just use your common sense. Its not like your writing your name on the side of their house with pee!!!

Lawn Dog2001
12-04-2001, 01:50 PM
I dont think there is any thing more unproffesional than asking a customer to let you use there bathroom. I tell all my employees that if they need to use the restroom to please let me know and I will stop at a gas station in between jobs.

As for "peein in the bushes" so to speak, I think at one point or another we have all done that. I wouldnt mind it depending on where we were at the time. My position is this. If you are 100% sure no one is going to see you, and you just cant hold it than its ok. Peeing on someones shed though is just outright disrespectful.

mdb landscaping
12-04-2001, 01:52 PM
as long as you cant be seen, i dont think there is a big problem, with peeing in the woods, or bushes.

bobbygedd
12-04-2001, 01:55 PM
DONT PEE ON THE SHED!!! i have peed in woods behind customers homes. but in this case, behind the shed is wide open to the neighbors back yard. i just dont like it

Runner
12-04-2001, 02:19 PM
Yeah, if it's wide open to the neighborhood in back, then it kind of defetas the purpose of going behind the shed, doesn't it? An old tide bottle works well for this as well. It was stated that someone carries 3 bottles with them, I only carry one, as I dump it right at the site after I'm all done with the job.

Scraper
12-04-2001, 02:30 PM
I actually had a landscape client tell me before I started the first job that if I or one of my crew needed to use the restroom to please use the one in the house as opposed to the woods behind her house. Must have been from past experiences with other contractors...;)....I didn't ask.

vipermanz
12-04-2001, 02:41 PM
maybe he is "that" way

Chopper Lover
12-04-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
I dont think there is any thing more unproffesional than asking a customer to let you use there bathroom.

Lawn Dog... You need to work on your imagination. :D I can think or MANY of less professional things to do! :angel:

Personally, I have asked a customer only once. This particular customer owns a very large construction company which he built from the ground up (pun intended). He understands what it is like to be a "working class dog" from sun up to sun down. Not only has he offered up his bathroom, but has also offered use of his pool on hot days and access to his fridge in the garage if I ever get thirsty. On the other hand, I have a few rural yards bordering forests where I can become invisible in a matter of ten steps. If asked I were to be asked what I was doing, I simply state "I was checking out some deer".

I try to plan my day around bathroom breaks, and visa~versa. I know there are some parts of the day I may have to hold it a while and others where it is not an issue. I just try to plan accordingly. When all else fails I just climb into my enclosed trailer and fill any available container I can find.

The simple fact is this... It doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing.... When you gotta go, YOU GOTTA GO!

Mark

sheppard
12-04-2001, 05:21 PM
Would never ask to go inside and use a customer's head. Too dirty! It's lush and green most of the year in Tallahassee so finding an out of the way spot is easy. Come on- it's a regular human bodily function. Actually guys like us have it good- we don't have to put up with other body functions that people closed up in an office do. (I really don't need to be specific do I?)

Cordially,
Sheppard

smburgess
12-04-2001, 05:42 PM
Ask a client to use their bathroom?!? - That's funny.

Lawn Dog2001
12-04-2001, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Chopper Lover

Lawn Dog... You need to work on your imagination. :D I can think or MANY of less professional things to do! :angel:

Mark

Now that I think about it, I too can think of a lot less proffesional things to do.;)

One thing owners need to remember is this. If an employee of yours uses a customers bathroom, that is just asking for trouble. If something happens to turn up missing,who do you think they are going to call? Even if your guy didnt take anything, what can you really say. You are never going to know for sure. They can try and hold you liable.

Also, I just think it is pretty embarassing to have one of my guys stink up a customers bathroom. From the customers point of view, having a guy who has been working outside all day come in and tear up your bathroom, is probably not all that pleasant. They most likely wouldnt say anything. But It might bother them.

Turfdude
12-04-2001, 06:20 PM
Remember too, it is important tokeep T.P. behind seat of truck. For the RARE occasion when you are on a site which backs up to woods & you'll be there for a while. Had to do it the other week for first time in 5 years myself. Would have wasted too much time drivin' to the nearest restroom. It was more like 50 yards deep, but well worth the relief. As for #1, I agree w/ most others, when ya gotta go, ya gota go -- just make sure you're outta sight! "Pressure is off now"

GLS
12-04-2001, 07:29 PM
When we had some contractors working on our house (building addition) a worker came into our basement and walked through our brand new carpet with muddy shoes, and left a present in the toilet. After he was done, he opened the window from the smell, but I guess he didn't know the a/c was running! So we had the a/c running non-stop and the carpet full of mud!

roscioli
12-04-2001, 07:33 PM
What a sensitive subject! I do both. When convenient, and I am POSITIVE nobody will see me, I go in the woods, or behind a shed (not on the shed!). When easier, I ask the client. I have had to ask 3 clients so far, a total of 5-10 times in 2 years. I would personally rather have a contractor ask to use my bathroom than see them pissing on my stone wall, or dumping a tide bottle out in my front lawn! A lot of my customers are too far away from any convenience stores to bother, but I use them often too.

awm
12-04-2001, 08:59 PM
i live in the country . guess thats why i never give it a second thought.my dad and his brothers were so good at it that most
of the time u never even knew they were ,shall we say makin water. just pt o country life ,at least for me.

65hoss
12-05-2001, 12:04 AM
To answer you question, no, you shouldn't ask customers to use their bathrooms.

mr_bojangles
12-05-2001, 02:23 AM
Post deleted due to content. This post did not in any way contriubte to this thread. Content was in violation of guidelines concerning explicit, obscene or vulgar language.