PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection

PRECISION LC
12-04-2001, 03:21 PM
What kind of hearing protection does everyone use. Mabye anything special. And what would you say is the best?

jman00
12-04-2001, 04:06 PM
i have a pair of glasses that have hearing protectors on the stems. it kills 2 birds at one time.

sheppard
12-04-2001, 04:30 PM
Have ear plus that are replaceable. Have them wrapped around my neck- I can wear me hat that way.

Cordially,
Sheppard

crazygator
12-04-2001, 04:43 PM
I have a pair of Peltor ear muffs with built in FM radio that are trully awesome.

JJ Lawn
12-04-2001, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
I have a pair of Peltor ear muffs with built in FM radio that are trully awesome.

And if you get the cord to plug in an AM source, they become even better. Nothing like listening to G. Gordon or any of the other news talk shows to make the day go by faster.

Jim

Turfdude
12-04-2001, 06:12 PM
Get yourself one of these. They are very effective, and not at all cumbersome like ear muffs. Keep extra plugs in truck in a plastic sandwich bag just in case someone forgets a pair, or looses a plug durng the day. I guess I have 5 guys using them. We work from March 1 thru mid January, and I got tru about $120.00 per season at most. They are a great way to CYA w/ your worman's comp too. This way, employees can't claim hearing loss/problems to your equipment as long as you enforce the rule.
Bob

vipermanz
12-04-2001, 07:26 PM
i use either plugs or earmuffs, home depot had them onsale

awm
12-04-2001, 09:13 PM
i use a piece of chamoi (sp) cloth. i just like it better than the plugs etc.yes i know i musta murdered that word.:)

Southern Lawns
12-04-2001, 11:31 PM
In the summer I wear (disposable) ear plugs. In the cooler months I wear ear muffs, just too hot in the summer for those things!:)

65hoss
12-04-2001, 11:37 PM
I use ear plugs. Always keep 2 pair in my pocket.

strickdad
12-05-2001, 04:00 AM
uh what did you say ????? you are gonna have to speak up i cant hear you!!!! dont wear any. i guess i should though..

conepile
12-05-2001, 05:15 AM
I always wear foam plugs, either the EAR Classic type, or Max Lite (Howard Leight) with the lanyard.

Two things to point out: these types are disposable, and they do wear out, so you should be replacing them regularly, whether it be you or your employees.

The second point is that using headphone type ear protection is great. Using headphone radios or other music types is not. If you are using a headphone to mask outside noise, then you will have to turn up the volume of your music/news/crop reports to drown out the noise you are trying to cover up, totally defeating the purpose of hearing protection and probably making it worse. If you have employees, this is most likely an OSHA violation (it is in a manufacturing environment). Allowing your employees to do this exposes you to the liability when they lose their hearing.

Grapevine
12-05-2001, 05:56 AM
Elvex recharchable FM hearing protectors. Been using for years and couldn't imagine using anything else. Bought a pair for 2 employees and they never take them off. They make a pair now for around $ 80.00. Looked at the Peltor, but don't like changing batteries all the time. Northern tools carries them or Elvex.com

Craig Turf Management
12-05-2001, 08:03 AM
I wear the foam plugs from EAR. I really want the muff style hearing protection with the fm radio built in. Only problem is I wear a wide brim hat, and I don't think the muff style protectors will work for me.
Bill Craig!

stick9
12-05-2001, 12:31 PM
Hey Conepile,

Peltor headphones are designed to lower the outside db greatly .. then, you turn the volume of the radio to taste. (I always tried to keep mine at a very low level .. but I could still hear everything that was being said or played on the radio) ... This is in no way "covering" up the loud noise with your music. I know what you're saying though .. we had a guy doing that (he just had a pair of radio headphones) .. and it would make me cringe to think about how much damage he must've been doing to his ears each and every day.

Peltor headphones are fantastic and worth EVERY penny (except for the digital tuner model) ...

Kills noise ...... dead.

STiCk-NIne

Samurai WeedWacker
12-05-2001, 01:25 PM
They are $.19/pair at Tru-Value Hardware. They are washable; just put them in a sock and put them thru the washing machine.

awm
12-08-2001, 07:04 AM
mr liddy is right. no way i could do this work,w my arthritus,
without knowing how to do what liddy said. makes a cold one in the evening really nice.

trimmer
12-08-2001, 09:44 AM
I use sthils headphones that are made by peltor.

1grnlwn
12-08-2001, 12:22 PM
Elvex ear muff style.

Advantages: hold your hat down in high wind, keep ears warm in cold weather, don't hurt inside of ear with long hours (comfy) protect more of ear from flying debris.

Disadvantages: Ear pads eventually absorb sweat and smell.

groundsguy1970
12-08-2001, 01:50 PM
Can you get new pads for the fm elvex? also are they waterproof?

1grnlwn
12-08-2001, 02:39 PM
I don't have radio set I just get new ones every couple years.

No Sweat L/C
12-08-2001, 03:49 PM
I wear a pair of Stihl Hearing protectors, I think they are the best quality of any I have tried yet. I put the speakers off a pair of headphones in side of the ear muffs and hook them up to a portable radio. I just keep the volume down to save what hearing I have left after TOO many years around loud cars and machinery. You need to wear something to protect yourself before it's TOO late to save your hearing!!!

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-09-2001, 06:09 PM
I use either the Howard Leight Max light foam ones, Usually diring the warmer months, and the howard leight Lightinerng ( think that s what they are called ) ear muff type ones the rest of the time.. Sometime s I combine and wear both , like during leaf season.. It's just too noisy all day so then with both sets , I cant' hear anything ... It's a little too quiet. Cant' hear if my mower is running with that setup..

LJ lawn
12-09-2001, 11:53 PM
i just bought a new set today it was the smith&wesson models from k-mart- $10. lets see how the hold up next year.i looked at those stihl protectors but they have the same swivel ends that keep breaking off on my other set (little plastic ends don't hold up too well).i'll probably buy another set on line- check out www.probuy.net for hearing protection and dust respirators.

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-10-2001, 01:22 PM
A buddy of mine turned me on to the ultimate in hearing protection. It consist of a portable CD player with RadioShack Racing Headphones. Total cost is $110 but is well worth it!!! The cord from the headphones is very short so they don't get tangled up in bushes and the CD player can fit in your pocket. This setup is great if you don't want to deal with needy clients!!! Just smile and wave and keep on mowing!! I can barely hear my Stihl backpack blower with these headphones on.

Lawns and Mower

AielLandscaping
12-10-2001, 03:18 PM
i have a set of elvex earmuffs with the mesh face shield, saves the face from getting pelted with small debris when using the trimmer, i've taken a set of headphones and inserted the speakers into the earmuffs, this works great i can plug the headphones into anything. i have a fm/am/tape/tv tuner walkman that i carry with me, and a cd player, and soon a 10 gb mp3 player.. all in all that was the best 50.00 i ever spent.