PDA

View Full Version : Rock Install instead of mulch question

Petr51488
04-18-2008, 12:56 AM
I have a customer whom i've put down rocks for, instead of mulch (very small area) She wants a fresh layer of rocks because the old ones are faded. The last time i did the rocks there was about 3 years ago. Is there any way to keep them looking fresh without adding a layer? Unfortunately they don't decompose like mulch does. I'll be adding a fresh layer of rocks tomorrow. Any idea's?

naturescape
04-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Rocks -- the worst idea for landscape "design" anybody has ever come up with! IMO

04-18-2008, 01:12 AM
I think rocks look pretty good. I saw some really nice rock beds today actually. The best looking ones had a fist sized pieces of crushed black granite. Very nice looking rock bed.

If your using smooth rocks, I would suggest using concrete sealer on them. A semi-gloss would be ok, but a high-gloss would help the colors in the rocks come out. I used to work for a concrete company, and when we did "washed" or "exposed rock" patios with colored rocks the sealer would really make the rock colors stand out. You just spray the sealer on with a pump sprayer.

Whitey4
04-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Rocks -- the worst idea for landscape "design" anybody has ever come up with! IMO

OK... you don't like rocks. What would you do with the north side of a garage, strip about 4' wide, no sun, lots of weeds? I'm thinkin rocks here....

naturescape
04-18-2008, 09:37 AM
OK... you don't like rocks. What would you do with the north side of a garage, strip about 4' wide, no sun, lots of weeds? I'm thinkin rocks here....

If you can't grow a ground cover there, then fill the area in with shredded mulch or bark -- at least it's a more natural look. Also, rocks tend to get strewn about a property, especially if you have to blow out beds; and then they become WONDERFUL projectiles to throw with the mower and break a window.

Petr51488
04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Ok, let me clarify this. This lady has a condo. 1 strip of shrubs in the front (4x12) and in the back there is a shed with the rocks around it which is about 20x40. Mulch wouldn't look to good. These are the only people i've ever done rocks for. Everyone else has mulch.

naturescape
04-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok, let me clarify this. This lady has a condo. 1 strip of shrubs in the front (4x12) and in the back there is a shed with the rocks around it which is about 20x40. Mulch wouldn't look to good. These are the only people i've ever done rocks for. Everyone else has mulch.

OK, you're vindicated. LOL

But you say "mulch wouldn't look to [sic] good." Why not?

Petr51488
04-18-2008, 09:02 PM
OK, you're vindicated. LOL

But you say "mulch wouldn't look to [sic] good." Why not?

Not that it wouldn't look good. It just doesn't fit the condo. very small area.

Rcgm
04-18-2008, 10:52 PM

LOL amazing. Rocks are the worst idea for landscape design? Mulch is so great it fades in weeks,stinks,molds,draws bugs,weeds grow in it. But rock is the worst?:dizzy:

RCGM
Brad

Rcgm
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
I have a customer whom i've put down rocks for, instead of mulch (very small area) She wants a fresh layer of rocks because the old ones are faded. The last time i did the rocks there was about 3 years ago. Is there any way to keep them looking fresh without adding a layer? Unfortunately they don't decompose like mulch does. I'll be adding a fresh layer of rocks tomorrow. Any idea's?

Try river pebbles the hold color great I have had mine in my yard for over 5 years and they still look great.Haydite rock holds its color to.

RCGM
Brad

naturescape
04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
LOL amazing. Rocks are the worst idea for landscape design? Mulch is so great it fades in weeks,stinks,molds,draws bugs,weeds grow in it. But rock is the worst?:dizzy:

RCGM
Brad

I've never had any problem with mulch. Maybe you need something more antiseptic? :)

Petr51488
04-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Try river pebbles the hold color great I have had mine in my yard for over 5 years and they still look great.Haydite rock holds its color to.

RCGM
Brad

Yea, i've done river pebbles for another customer (near a pool) and it looks pretty nice. She wants the redish rocks along with the white in another location.

Daner
04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I like rock mulch...but IMO...the larger stones(rocks) are the best...why?...because they wont blow all over the place like reg bark when you blow the beds out...great for a easy to maintain property:weightlifter:

Travel'n Trees
04-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Mulch draws bugs and termites even if treated in less than 60 days with UV light and that is why towns and cities actually have to be able to obtain a occupancy permit you cannot have mulch within 18 inches of the foundation. maybe you should learn the art of mowing away from the house and not at windows. ( heck I do not even mow grass for a living) I have plenty of houses with over thirty years, on rock and no problems. I can show you many of problems from mulch though.

Rcgm
04-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Mulch draws bugs and termites even if treated in less than 60 days with UV light and that is why towns and cities actually have to be able to obtain a occupancy permit you cannot have mulch within 18 inches of the foundation. maybe you should learn the art of mowing away from the house and not at windows. ( heck I do not even mow grass for a living) I have plenty of houses with over thirty years, on rock and no problems. I can show you many of problems from mulch though.:clapping:

Thank You but rock is a bad idea. Again mulch is NASTY:walking:

RCGM
Brad

Mr. Vern
04-24-2008, 01:04 AM
How can rock "fade". I have been around at least a few months and I have never seen rock "fade". It may get dirt and debris in it, but never seen it fade.

Mark Bogart
04-24-2008, 11:11 PM
How can rock "fade". I have been around at least a few months and I have never seen rock "fade". It may get dirt and debris in it, but never seen it fade.

The only rock that I've seen fade in color is crushed rock that is either reddish in color or rust colored.