PDA

View Full Version : Redo on beds with many weeds

theguynextdoor
04-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I did a clean up yesterday, just leaves and branches etc. They may want some mulch put down and the beds redone. The beds are totally covered with weeds, grass, and crap. What would be the best way to make these beds reusable for planting and so that weeds wont grow back. I was thinking either digging up the top layer or spraying and then rototilling.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Stillwater
04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
do not rototill, hand weed the area plant your plants lay down 3" mulch then spread Pre-M for beds (on top of the mulch)

Isobel
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
cut the weeds down with a trimmer if possible, or hand weed if not. lay down some newspaper or cardboard, and mulch over it.

I do this all the time without any problems
=)

CandCLandscaping
04-18-2008, 12:40 PM
wouldn't the newspaper/cardboard just decompose before it would prevent any more weeds?

TPnTX
04-19-2008, 08:37 AM
carboard or newspaper? Thats sound pretty hoaky. Im sure it works but a man still has to at least appear somewhat professional.

I always try and kill as much of the weeds as possible. You can then bring in some compost and till. Only when you till and cultivate does a pre-m really do its job. In other words pre-m doesn't stop weeds from growing.

If you don't have time for all that then you can must take out a layer and replace its with landscape mix.

Then use good shredded mulch not bark mulch. Also beware of the colored mulch. Around here at least its really ground up pallets.

Do a pre-m afterwards

Isobel
04-19-2008, 10:15 AM
it will take at least two years for the newspaper to decompose, the mulch on top of the newspaper will smother any existing weeds. Cardboard will take longer to decompose, usually 3-4 years.

Hoaky sounding or not, it does work. I am a professional, btw, my business revolves around finding organic solutions to weed and pest problems.

Another reason for using newspaper/cardboard is that as it decomposes the earthworms love it! Earthworms are important in a good ecosystem.
:)

AWJ Services
04-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Another reason for using newspaper/cardboard is that as it decomposes the earthworms love it! Earthworms are important in a good ecosystem.

We put shredded up paper in our worm beds.They love it.

TPnTX
04-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Well I'll at least it's better than suggesting some fabric weed barrier or something. Like I said I'm sure it works, I just see issues with it. You go back to plant something, dogs doing a little digging, you got other varmets too that may get into the bed and there's your morning paper.

nograss
04-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Pre emerg on top of the beds will do no good. the sun will decompose the pre em and it will be worthless. Put fert and pre emerg before mulching.

Stillwater
04-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Pre emerg on top of the beds will do no good. the sun will decompose the pre em and it will be worthless. Put fert and pre emerg before mulching.

Thanks for the attempted slap in the face. First I would be embarrassed to have posted this. The purpose of the pre-m applied in the mulched beds is to prevent weeds from germinating in the "mulch", sun decomposing the pre-m? Tell me just how much pre-m will be on top of the mulch exposed to the sun after just 1 watering?. But please you gotta tell me what Pre-m will becomes useless in a few short days of sun? Properly mulched beds with 3 or more inches of quality mulch suppresses most if not all weeds. tell me what suppresses weed germinating in the exposed mulch? This is one of the drawbacks to lawnsite everyone is a expert that has no problem posting nonsense. Pre-m should go on the bottom and on the top of mulch if you only like it on the bottom than learn to say that without slapping someone that has been successful in business for over 30 years.

nograss
04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
good for you! I'm happy for yor success. i personally believe that Weeds come from the old mulch or dirt, and I want to keep the new seeds from germinating that comes from the weeds that you pull or remove, therefore I put pre emerg down before new mulch. each to their own. That's why we have this forum. I meant no disrespect.