PDA

View Full Version : Almost time to say goodbye

ChadsLawn
12-04-2001, 06:48 PM
Well guys/gals the time is near for me to say good bye to all in the lawn buiz..Today while trimming some palms my customer next door came out and paid me for November and said "we wont be needing your services anymore"..I asked why's that.Thay said I wasnt doing a good enough job(even though come payday I ask if there are any problems or anything they would like done) they always said nope your doing a good job..

So what Im saying since I lost over half of my accounts do to being very sick back in June, Its been a struggle since..I now have hit rock bottom..Every thing Ive worked for I am gonna lose, Including my family(what I mean is she and the kids are going to live with her parents as for me prolly my truck)..Im 3 month behind in my mower payments, Im a month and a half behing in rent(eviction notice this past Sunday), Electric will be shut off tomorrow($250) phone is already shut off..oh and my internet connection is getting ready to be a month behind..I make roughly $1200 now and its gone before I can even look at it..

I do not know what im going to do yet as far as a job...I havent had a regular job since June 1995..

So my conclusion is ..I have hit rock bottom, I have failed in the Lawn Business and money is 99.9% of life..1% is love..
Yes my wife has rtied to get a job, but no one is hiring in the feild she works in.(daycare) or they dont take infants..

I will leave a final post when the time comes..

Till then my advice to all(smokers) please stop smoking it is truley a mass killer(it almost kiled me)Oh me stoping smoking and the birth of my baby are the only 2 great things that has happened to me in the past 2 yrs..

take care

Chad

Runner
12-04-2001, 07:07 PM
I can't even say how sorry I am to hear this. There has got to be some things you can do to alieve this situation. It sounds like maybe yu are a candidate for the some outside help. Now, before you let your pride get in the way, just read this. There are many programs that are readily available to help in crucial times like this. All you need right now, is to buy a little time. If the illness set you back, and that's the big factor, then it can be made up. Do this; First, contact the Salvation Army, and they may be able to help you out with rent. Next, contact some of your local churches, explain who you are, what you do, and your predicament - including your illness. You don't know, they may also be able to give you enough WORK to make up the difference. Christians are funny about those things when it comes to someone in need. They somehow seem to come through. And most of all, and I mean most of all.....keep praying. You ARE being heard. Also, in the meantime, if you are real slow right now, look around at the other landscape operations around you. Not the ones that do just maintenance, because they're slowing down. too. But look at the bigger ones that do installations and stuff, too. They may love bringing someone with experience like you on.

Also, is there ANYONE HERE who may have some work available in Chad's area that you can afford to refer out. What goes out, may end up coming back to you.
Anyway, good luck with this, and I wish you all the best and my (our) prayers are with you.

Lawn Dog2001
12-04-2001, 07:22 PM
Chad,

What ever happens keep your head up. Life is full of peaks and valleys. I have never had a problem I couldnt figure out if I really put my mind, heart, and soul, into solving it. The worst thing you can do is give up.

Try talking to your landlord. He may be willing to wait if he completely understands your situation. Im sure the Electric company may be willing to work out a payment schedule with you if you talk to them. As for your mowers and truck, I would consider talking to a credit counselor. They may be able to combine your payments and reduce your interest. When you are struggling the most important thing to do is to communicate effectively with your creditors. You might be surprised how reasonable people are when you owe them money. Im sure they will bend over backwards to help you find a way to pay them.

I have been through a lot of rough times in my life. There have been times I never thought I was going to pull myself through. But over the last three years things have really taken off for me in almost every aspect of life. I have no doubts the same thing can happen to you if you believe in yourself and keep working on your situation. Five years down the road from now you may look back at this smile.

I worry about the way you sounded in your post. If you ever need someone to talk to email me evergreenturf@yahoo.com

I wish you good luck,
Chuck

Flex-Deck
12-04-2001, 07:31 PM
Chad - Don't do anything stupid- call any of us and if we are real honest with you we probably will tell you about a really down time we have had. I empathize and also read into your post that things seem unsolvable. They are not. Talk to us please

Thanks Brad

PS. Hell, might want you to buy a flex-deck someday - SO please stick around for all the tremendous advice all of us saints can give you.

Charles
12-04-2001, 07:33 PM
One thing you could do is go work for another lawn care company. Go to one of those credit companies that organize debt like was suggested above. Sell all your equipment. Say to yourself thats its up to myself to get myself out of this mess. You really have waited to long but it is never to late. Work hard, work overtime, work yourself out of this. But whatever you do dont sit around and feel sorry for yourself.
NOw if you are going to keep your company. Get out and hand flyers door to door. But it may just be best that you find another company to work for or team up with another company

kris
12-04-2001, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
Chad - Don't do anything stupid- call any of us and if we are real honest with you we probably will tell you about a really down time we have had. I empathize and also read into your post that things seem unsolvable. They are not.

That is the truth Chad!

Standing invitation to email me anytime.. I could tell you a story or two. Feel free.

I think what Charles said was good advise ... you may be at a time in your life ,when it is time to put working for yourself on the backburner. Swallow your pride and go work your azz off for someone else.. Above all else!!!... don't take this out on your wife.. treat her with love and respect.
I am not going to tell you "hang in there..things will be better".
DO SOMETHING POSITIVE NOW !!
Make a grattitude list... find at least ten things you are grateful for.

ChadsLawn
12-04-2001, 08:00 PM
Runner you brought tears to my eyes..We do get help but not cash money..We've been on Medicade since I was in the hospital.We now get food money on a credit card (food stamps)..
As far as work..I have 2 mulch jobs this week..1 with some landsacping involved..Beleive me guys I dont want to go under..I love this work its all I really know..Flyers Ive put out 3000 flyers since May..Got 1 job from them..They fired me when I got sick..My brother said he would do my work for me...He never went to 1 account..All my accounts were notified to the situation...Flyers wont help now because I have no phone..But I will add my parents number to the flyer...

My main problem is, I need to make about $2000 to $2500 real quick then Ill be ok..that will give me enough time to find a part time job or better yet try my hardest to get some new accounts..
Finding a job with the big LCO's..I have tried that..Not too many hire during the slow season.some are just too far for me to drive.I have a few friends that make alot more than I do and they just arent busy enough this time of year to work for or even hand me some help...But they all said they would throw me some side jobs if they get some..

My parents..They have helped me enough..

My situation has really opend my eyes..If I can get back on my feet, I have a whole new outlook on how im gonna run my business..

Well IM lost now...Gotta think some things out...

PS you people are true online friends..

Chad

kris
12-04-2001, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ChadsLawn
Finding a job with the big LCO's..I have tried that..Not too many hire during the slow season.some are just too far for me to drive.
Chad

Chad .... go get a job anywhere doing anything!

Green Care
12-04-2001, 09:44 PM
Stay Strong! Chad :)

awm
12-04-2001, 09:45 PM
chad u have my full sympathy. unfortunately that dont solve the problem. only u can do that. a famouse man once said
after his country had been bombed constantly ,had been on the brink of defeat,and with us helping ,had come back to defeat the tyrant. u never ever ever ever give up. this or something similar was what winston churchill said in his speech to their governing body. after hitler was finally defeated. sorry but ill tell u the same thing. u just never quit. do something different ,yes. but never ever give up the fight. then when u finally overcome,and ill guarantee u will,the victory is so so sweet. if u know god
i suggest u take him as a partner. now i do sympathise,
it just wont do anygood.what i told u will not fail.
my best wishes to you and your family.

cp
12-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Chad, You have got to ask for help. Sit down tonight and work out a plan of attack as to where the money needs to go and where you expect to make money and when I say make money I mean by any means possible (hired hand, several part time jobs, what ever). Now tomorrow morning you go to the local church and sit down and tell your story and ask for help. Then contact a credit counselor and ask for help. Go to your equipment vendor and ask for help.

People are not likely to hand over $2500.00 to you but if you can show how you plan to correct the problem and with a little help from several sources you can make it. To many people falter and fail because they don't ask for help.

Holidays are fast coming and a lot of companys need part time holiday help. UPS comes to mind. Grab those boot straps and get going, I know you can do it. GOD BLESS.

Texas ProLawns
12-04-2001, 11:21 PM
Hey, Chad!

Don't go to just any credit company - use Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS). THEY WILL HELP!!

They are non-profit (so you don't get ripped) they can organize your payments, stave off your creditors, and arrange for your creditors to stop charging interest until you get back on your feet. You make one monthly payment to them for all your consumer debt. It is definitely a good deal...

Try this link - they are near Orlando, I think. If that is too far, they can direct you to the one near where you are.

http://www.cccscfl.com/

Good luck, buddy!

ChadsLawn
12-05-2001, 03:18 AM
Hey TEX I only have 1 debt thats my mower..or do they include rent and utilities,insurance stuff like that?...I doubt it..

Chad

Richard Martin
12-05-2001, 04:52 AM
Chad, Texas ProLawns is right! Contact CCCS NOW!! Your situation is not nearly so dire as you think and they can help you.

Something that can help you is that both you and your wife find gainfull employment. They do have gas stations and burger joints in your neighborhood right? Any money coming is is better than no money coming in.

odin
12-05-2001, 11:08 AM
Chad
Im sorry to hear your bad luck.
Have you tried public aid?Its something you might want to try until you get on your feet.Thats what its for to help people get on their feet again

swonkeg
12-05-2001, 12:15 PM
Chad
Even though you have doubts about CCCS contact them and tell them the situation. If they can't help ask if they can refer you to someone who can.
From reading some of your past post you have a talent for designing artwork
and logos ect. I work fulltime in the graphics industry and I think you could make someone (local printer, printshop) a good designer or illustrator.
Above all do not give up or quit on your family! :angel:

mowahman
12-05-2001, 11:11 PM
Chad,

I once had it all, at age 19. New truck, new mower, new tractor,trailers, stress relieving toys, jobs up the wazhoo. Got married at 20, divorced at 21. Bankers that once gave me notes over the phone no longer associated with me, seems divorce makes them shy away from doing business. I got along, worked for others for awhile, kept my contacts I had when I was on my own. Met and married my present wife of 17 yrs., have 3 great kids, am on a first name basis with Insurance agent, Banker, and many, many other "professional" people. My current business allows me to sponsor a Pro Stock race car and crew, which mirror my struggles and achievements, and are truly a great bunch of people. I recently went to the bank to borrow some money and when he asked if I had a business plan, I said "yes, get up early, go to work, make some money, pay the bills, save some of what I made, when I have enough, buy something." I showed him the business inventory and he asked how and who gave me the $$$, I said I did it just like I said. I then pulled out a little sign I keep in my briefcase........."Quitters NEVER win.......Winners NEVER Quit." This reminds me that I am a winner, to never quit, to remember the things I went through to get here, where I want to go, and mostly, that when things get a little tougher than I thought, keep my eyes and ears open...you never know who's watching or listening.

Chad, from the responses to your post, sounds to me like you'renot a quitter..........that only leaves one other choice......

LAWNGODFATHER
12-05-2001, 11:26 PM
Tell us what we can do to help?

lawngator
12-06-2001, 04:54 PM
Chad,
Your making $1200/mth now? That means your only working 8 - 12 hrs a week at the most. This leaves a ton of hours for a part-time job. Lowes and Home Depot pay up to $11.00/hr for part time employees with benefits. 25 hrs a week at $10/hr is another $1000 a month.
Also, sell your mower that you owe on and buy a used one with the cash.
I know it seems like you're trapped, but there's always a way out. Life is full of ups and downs. That's why I rely on the good Lord to get me through the rough times.
Good luck
Bill

TSS
12-06-2001, 07:37 PM
Chad,
I just wanted to add that local churches are great places to ask for help. Besides being in the lawn business I also own rental properties. I have had several people get money from churches, and the salvation army. Another place you can look for some assistance is your local township office. Basically the churchs ect... will talk with your landlord and ask them to hold off on the eviction process for so long ( usually 30 days ) if they will pay x amount of your rent. I know at the township you have to work so many hours since they are trying to help you get back on your feet and not just a free ride. Watch out though some landlords will say yes then as soon as they get a check in one hand they are handing you another eviction notice in the other. It is legal but not very nice. Try not to worry about your bills except for your loan on your mower. Besides being in the lawn care business, and rental business, I am also a mortgage loan originator. Call your utility companys and ask to be placed on a budget if you are able to do so. You will have a set amount of time to have your bills paid off ( usually 3-4 months ). Your telephone, gas, water, and electric can be turned into collection agencys then if they are not paid they will be turned over to an attorney. A judgement will be placed against you if they are not paid. Your mower on the other hand is on your credit. If you ever try to obtain a house loan or loan for your next lawn care co:D this is what they will look for. Yes your judgements will have to be paid off but they are minute compared to your payment history. I hope maybe a word of this can help you. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you

MATTHEW
12-06-2001, 10:18 PM
I feel bad for guys who overspend and get in a pinch.But it really hits home when THESE things happen. Unforseen and unavoidable. We saw millions of people reach out to victims of bad events, and we can do the same. There are 5,000 members at Lawnsite.com. If 1/2 of us sent $1.00 to Chad, we can make a real difference in his life. Make it $2.00 and give him a Christmas he'll remember.
Chad, if you put your address on a reply, I'll be the first to send a check. :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

ron
12-07-2001, 12:49 AM
Hey Chad hang in there Buddy........
Last May I fell off a 8 ft ladder broke my back T-12 vert compressed fracture at that time I had 50 accounts.Out of work for almost three months..Came back cutting grass etc. three weeks later I had a bad accident with the state van rebreaking my back.I am currently on workman comp and waiting for back operation... Think God I have alot of friends here at Lawn Site.Or I would have went under months ago..Well to make a long story short ..Here all LCO'S are family...I would Love to help you out in anyway I can....Please give me a call 386-290-8816 I would like to help out my LCO Brother....Just hang in there man.. Heck I only have 15 accounts..but hey I ask my Clients That I am able to do anything for them ...I am talking about odd jobs...Hell man I am 4 months behind in my lawn mower payment two months behind on my truck payment...Hell I am trying everything to get back on my feet...Don't Quit Don't Quit Brother......