PDA

View Full Version : john deere 797 belts keep breaking

2 clowns mowing
04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
my 2007 jd 797 keeps breaking the clutch belt about every 50 hours or less. jd dealer said you have to start blades when engine is idling and will almost kill engine. which doesn't seem right. has anyone else had this problem and any ideas how to fix it? jd isn't any help at all. this is a great mower just can't afford these belt prices

FIXDISS
04-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Have you checked to make sure all your idlers and spindles are turning freely ? How long did original belt last ? Should not be eating belts. Check all belt guides to be sure none are rubbing belt and look for any kind of debris lodged in a pulley groove. Also check condition of all pulleys. Something has to be rubbing ,mis-aligned or cutting belt. When belt breaks is it like an almost clean break or just totally shredded .Maybe if you inspect it closely you can tell if the flat side of the belt has any tell-tale signs of rubbing on metal. I would check owners manual also to see if it recommends that clutch be engaged at idle. Seems like that could damage the clutch if voltage was a little low. Just my half-fast opinion.

2 clowns mowing
04-19-2008, 08:34 AM
john deere manual said turn on at haft throttle. the problem is the engine is horizontal so the belt comes off the clutch then turns 90 degrees then goes thru idlers then turn another 90 degrees to go onto deck pulley and couple more 90 degree pulleys to get back to the clutch.