PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove Rocks from a Bed?

Indysfinestlawnservice
04-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I have to bid on job and it includes removing about 3 inches of Rocks that are currently in the beds and then Im going to plant some new shrubs and trees and apply a nice hard wood mulch. My question is ..What is the best way to remove all the rocks that are currently covering the bed areas.There is 3,757 sq ft of bed area.Also any ideas on charging for this.Im thinking an hourly charge plus hauling and dumping the rocks?

Thank you for any ideas given.:weightlifter:

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Rake the rocks into little piles and scoop them up. I use several 5 gallon buckets and when they're filled take them and dump them in the dump truck. It's a pain but charge enough so it's worth it.

Rcgm
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
LOL we spent 2 days doing that this week. We removed about 10 yards of river rock reshaped some beds and then put Haydite rock back in. Hard rake it into piles scoop it into the dingo and dump it onto the trailer.No easy way about it. I don't know why anyone would want to take out rock to put nasty mulch in.:dizzy: Mulch is nasty in my eyes it stinks,molds,discolors in weeks grows weeds and has to be redone every year. I push rock hard on my landscape jobs.

RCGM
Brad

Rcgm
04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey Indy's I didn't read your name before I posted. I seen your sign out somewhere this week. What area is this job Center Grove, Greenwood? If you need any help PM me I have been doing this for 14 years and would be glad to give you some advise if you need any. You cut grass off Fairview?

RCGM
Brad

daysel
04-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I'd rent a skid steer for sure and be done in a day or so. Unless you can't access it on one. They have the mini machines also.

Indysfinestlawnservice
04-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Well it looks like im gonna have a huge job,not my idea to remove the rock.Its the (homeowners).Thanks for all the advise.

Indysfinestlawnservice
04-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Hey Indy's I didn't read your name before I posted. I seen your sign out somewhere this week. What area is this job Center Grove, Greenwood? If you need any help PM me I have been doing this for 14 years and would be glad to give you some advise if you need any. You cut grass off Fairview?

RCGM
BradHey thanks for the offer.No I dont have any mowing jobs off of Fairview. Mainly the eastside and the southside.

DoetschOutdoor
04-19-2008, 02:49 PM
LOL we spent 2 days doing that this week. We removed about 10 yards of river rock reshaped some beds and then put Haydite rock back in. Hard rake it into piles scoop it into the dingo and dump it onto the trailer.No easy way about it. I don't know why anyone would want to take out rock to put nasty mulch in.:dizzy: Mulch is nasty in my eyes it stinks,molds,discolors in weeks grows weeds and has to be redone every year. I push rock hard on my landscape jobs.

RCGM
Brad

You are getting CRAP of mulch if it molds and discolors in weeks. Doesnt really stink either but mulch does have that distinct smell. Rock and mulch each have their place but saying mulch is "nasty"??

PSUturf
04-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Our charge for removing rock is about double the rate for installing it. Removal is more work than installing and you have expense involved with the disposal.

Rcgm
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
You are getting CRAP of mulch if it molds and discolors in weeks. Doesnt really stink either but mulch does have that distinct smell. Rock and mulch each have their place but saying mulch is "nasty"??

It is nasty I know people love it I am just not a big fan.

RCGM
brad

Indysfinestlawnservice
04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Its probably about 35 yds of rock so Im thinking about 2 -3 full days of all this stuff cleared out and Im thinking of charging some where between 100 - 150 an hour. Plus a dump fee. Am I off target on my prices or ??????