PDA

View Full Version : What about Proven Security Items

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-18-2008, 10:59 PM
I figured i would give it a try. If the moderators don't like it, they can yank it.

Anyone have any proven ways of secureing items against theft. i recently had someone try to swipe an equipment trailer but since i had a cable run between the two tires, it slowed them down enough that they just gave up and left it half in the road. I think they expected to find something secureing the toung, but did not realize that the tires were locked up until they tried to drive off. At that time they probally freaked out and ran off.

I also am curious if anyone has ever looked into "lowjack" for their more expensive items?

Johnson LCO
04-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Someone had to ge the ball rolling...thanks. I think this forum will be very helpful if people can discuss how to prevent theft and secure equipment. I also think that if landscpaers said how their equipment was secured when it was stolen would help would tell the rest of us what does and doesnt work.

Jason Pallas
04-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Good idea (cable). Will have to remember that. Nice to see this forum. I had a truck and trailer with equipment stolen (the whole rig!) a few years ago. I learned a lot of tricks - most important, I've installed toggle kill switches on all our trucks (along with lots of dummy switches). Very easy to do.

Breezmister
04-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Back when I worked for TGLC, it was part of my job to engrave all new equipment, riders to trimmers. I would put the branch number and the serial number in places that could be seen very easily and places it couldn't. Don't know if it made any difference.

kleankutslawn
04-19-2008, 01:24 AM
never leave the truck and trailer hooked together when parking

Dripit good
04-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately thieves are very brazen. They will rip through the side of your truck or trailer like a like a can opener if they are motivated. We have been hit hard.

We have 8 security cameras (3 inside the shop, 5 outside, strategically aimed) and alarm system with motion sensors. Trailers are locked and backed up to each other or walls so they are forced to go through the side of it. Nothing of value is to be left in the cab of trucks, and leave them unlocked. Broken windows are expensive when they are numerous. We park loaders in front of the gates with kill switches (that you will never find) to prevent further gate crashers.

On the site, the supervisor or foreman must be aware of his surroundings and lock the trailer when it will be out of sight.

It's the employee theft that really hurts.

Our neighbor across the street got hit recently and the police asked to see our recordings. They know we record the street pretty well capturing the comings and goings. It is frustrating seeing these bottom feeders doing their thing, and not being able to stop them in the process. At least you get clues as to their identity with the video.

Woody82986
04-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I know it may not seem like something nobody thinks of, but redundancy has always worked for me. I try to make sure I lock things up with several cables running through my stuff if I am leaving it on my trailer. I pretty much lock everything to eachother and through places on my mower with several different cables in several different directions. I feel like if someone really wants my stuff, they will get it no matter what, but if I make it god-awful hard and a major pain in the ass to be able to get to it, then it might deter the theives just looking for a quick score.

ken gustafson
04-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I have checked into installing LoJack type of setups into our trailer locks. Requires battery power supply....in our trailer locks battery power is to large at the present time. So it requires battery power in addition to making sure the trailer does not move. LoJack type setups might be available with regular current but have not checked that part out. Cutting chains,cables and padlocks present very little problems to actual thieves versus wannabes. Ken

landscaper22
04-19-2008, 06:24 PM
I know it may not seem like something nobody thinks of, but redundancy has always worked for me. I try to make sure I lock things up with several cables running through my stuff if I am leaving it on my trailer. I pretty much lock everything to eachother and through places on my mower with several different cables in several different directions. I feel like if someone really wants my stuff, they will get it no matter what, but if I make it god-awful hard and a major pain in the ass to be able to get to it, then it might deter the thieves just looking for a quick score.
Yeah bottom line, if someone wants it they will probably take it. But they have to come prepared. Most of the time it is just a crime of opportunity. Someone walks past your trailer during the night and sees a trimmer just sitting there, it's gone. Most thieves just walk neighborhoods looking for unlocked vehicles and looking for dumb people who leave expensive tools laying around. You lock your trimmer racks and use cables for the other stuff like Woody said and most people will not bother it. It makes it a little more difficult and takes a little more time to take it.
My advice is to use alarms, motion lights, or whatever to scare anyone snooping around, draw attention, and to alert you that something is going on. I have a motion light looking over my equipment. I also have a motion chime alarm looking over my stuff . You can't here it on the outside, but it chimes inside the let me know motion has been detected. So, there is no way anyone can come by undetected. My storage building also has a cheap battery powered motion alarm. So, if someone breaks in, my neighbors will know and I will know. All of these devices are cheap, but they greatly increase your chances of keeping your stuff safe. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars, just put your mind to work. I always try to think like a criminal too. It helps me come up with new ways to protect my stuff.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-19-2008, 09:53 PM
i was thinking of looking into the low jack also. i saw it was only $700 for trailers, which is pritty cheap when you consider a trailer and its contents could cost around $15k.

RedWingsDet
04-19-2008, 10:36 PM
No matter what you do, they will take your equipment, its just about their motivation.

The only REAL BENEFIT is how much of a discount you insurance co. will give you if you get a security system.

Mowbizz
04-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmmm...I run the heavy cable through my wheels and the mowers on the trailer as well...just remember the cardinal rule...DON'T FORGET THE CABLE YOURSELF WHEN YOU GO TO DRIVE AWAY...yes I did it...:hammerhead: :cry:
Actually wrapped around the axle and skidded the trailer (and me) to a stop!!
"A Homer Simpson moment" DOH!!!

ken gustafson
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I sell locking devices for trailer hitches and I am aware of the repeated statements of proven security security systems. But it would be very helpful... at least to me....if I could get a statement defining... "proven security system".
Ken

ken gustafson
04-22-2008, 05:28 PM
On my trailer locks.... I have tried every known way of defeating the trailer locks I make. What I have not tried is what Lawn site members suggest and then I ship that lock for the member to try and defeat. So in all that I do or have done I am aware of what is proven. Any one who feels that what I make is easy to defeat is welcome to give it your best shot...then I shall learn and everyone will know. The only thing that I ask is a film of how the actual defeat of one of my locks is done. I still have much I need to learn...show me the way you would defeat my locks for trailers. The locks I have now...with more to come when the U.S. Patent Office decides they have done whatever it is they do... are on my website.... www.trailerlocksonline.com you can view these locks in motion if you have a few seconds to watch. Ken

bob
04-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I've got this on my Ranger, but I'm sure it would fit a trailer wheel.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s104/bobxp/DSC00590.jpg

S3Scooter
04-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I've got this on my Ranger, but I'm sure it would fit a trailer wheel.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s104/bobxp/DSC00590.jpg

Geno's Garage sells something like this intended for travel trailers, but the concept is the same for our trailers. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AL800BKA (http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AL800BKA)

Thankfully I have not had much theft problums around the house, but what really ticks me off is when you go in for lunch or are in the back yard of the property. I lost a spool of trimmer line, and a fuel can that way. I run an open set up, and it really slowes you down to have to unlock something every time you need it in the middle of your route. I have an idea who did it, because I this other out of the back of a beat up pickup truck supposid lawn guy a coupple of times on my rout. I started locking things up when I noticed him looking at my set up, and dot you know the only two things I didn"t have locked down.
You guys that have to worry about your stuff at home, I don't know how you sleep:dizzy:!

As for me cables, Locks, back the trailer up so they atleast cant take the big stuff. What about stealing stuff off of equiptment. Like seats, tires velkies, batteries siphoning fuel? Any problums with that?

S3

topsites
04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
No matter what you do, they will take your equipment, its just about their motivation.

The only REAL BENEFIT is how much of a discount you insurance co. will give you if you get a security system.

One thing I have learned, way I see things is theft (OR prevention) costs!
Regardless of whether things get stolen or whether you have enough security in place to keep things around you still go through a slew of cash. Either way it costs money, be it on insurance, replacement, or security itself, it costs.

The part I like about prevention is the cost, to me, is far more measurable...
You see I can budget security costs, but I can't budget replacing what gets stolen, since I never know what could happen, when.

So I spend a set $ amount a year on added security, which that's my budget.
Every year, maybe a new motion detector, maybe another camera, but always locks and chains (the chains ain't so bad, but I've lost locks or better yet the keys to them so they have to be replaced on occasion).

And that's another thing...
If it's absolutely fool proof how the fark do I get it OFF when, after a moment of pure stupid I don't got the keys to it anymore? Now a padlock may not be the safest thing, but at least I can grind it or bolt cut it off, you know that's a terrible thing because the thieves would have it just as easy, but at the same rate I'm the kind of guy I have to get to my own equipment too LOL!

With all due respect, there are two things locking my trailer to the truck where if I lose the keys to that I have to get a locksmith, fine... But things like the 2-cyclers I'm not playing around like that, if I'm in front of someone's yard that lock needs to come off right then and there, please and thank you.

Lynden-Jeff
04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
On my trailer locks.... I have tried every known way of defeating the trailer locks I make. What I have not tried is what Lawn site members suggest and then I ship that lock for the member to try and defeat. So in all that I do or have done I am aware of what is proven. Any one who feels that what I make is easy to defeat is welcome to give it your best shot...then I shall learn and everyone will know. The only thing that I ask is a film of how the actual defeat of one of my locks is done. I still have much I need to learn...show me the way you would defeat my locks for trailers. The locks I have now...with more to come when the U.S. Patent Office decides they have done whatever it is they do... are on my website.... www.trailerlocksonline.com you can view these locks in motion if you have a few seconds to watch. Ken

Looks like a good system but its still not impossible to break. Although not stealthy a quickcut with diamond blade would have it (bulldog) off in a jiffy. I don't really have much experience with pintal locks.

Cheers
Jeff

topsites
04-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Looks like a good system but its still not impossible to break. Although not stealthy a quickcut with diamond blade would have it (bulldog) off in a jiffy. I don't really have much experience with pintal locks.

Cheers
Jeff

I agree, ALL a thief has to do is pull out the RECEIVER!!!!
How thick does it get, you can secure the tongue to the ball all you want, if my hitch fits your receiver I just pull the clip from the pin and slide the entire thing out of your hitch and take your trailer with the ball stuck in the tongue security system and all attached with the receiver dangling then insert it into the hitch on my truck put the pin back in and I'm gone LMAO!

See here's a pic of a locking receiver pin (there's also a padlock on the tongue, this has been replaced with a more secure lock but look at the receiver pin)... That black rectangular thing with the orange stripe and the grey cover is what locks the PIN that secures the black 2" receiver to the hitch! If that pin wasn't locked (most simply have a clip) all a thief has to do is pull the clip off and slide that PIN out of there and the entire black 2" receiver pulls right out of the hitch...

Then all they need is a hitch that fits your receiver and most of these are at least somewhat standard...
I mean, they're at least as standard as balls are, sure there's different sizes but...
They just pull the whole black thing that the BALL is attached to out of there!

Yes, the piece that the BALL attaches to is called the RECEIVER.
This RECEIVER fits inside the HITCH lol, any hitch that matches (or even close... I'd bet you could steal a 1.5 receiver with a 2 hitch)
It is that stupid simple.

topsites
04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
It's just the thing that drives me nuts...

Why spend $100,000 on a super serious security system around the front door of our house and not think twice about the back door which for some silly reason we leave unlocked and wide open all day long?

Right, my take on it is just secure everything, doesn't have to cost a lot, doesn't have to be totally undefeatable, it just has to be ALL secured. Doesn't matter so much if a crowbar can break in through a locked door, but it does matter if the door isn't even locked. We have to understand, from a thief's point of view if it's not even locked then it's unlawful access or maybe trespassing (very minor legal hassle)... But if it's locked it's Breaking and Entering (almost guaranteed time in jail), that's what needs to be understood, this is what slows most down.

Because if it isn't locked, now they won't smell like a rose doing this, but a thief can claim stupidity...
Why, I, uhhh, noooo, you know it was there and I was walking past and I was just looking really...

So...
That silly locking pin is like $15 or $20...
I recently upgraded to an anti-bolt cutter padlock (for lack of better words) which costs 15'ish...
This one matter of fact: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=139614-382-187XKADCCSEN&lpage=none
So for 30 bucks my trailer is relatively safe.

Ain't nothing 100% safe, but better having 80% all around than 99% at one end and 0 at the other.

Shadetree Ltd
04-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Don't be fooled the above locking hitch pin. Mine rusted with all the salting and it took less than 10 seconds with a very dull blade and cordless reciprocating saw to cut off, very disheartening. Even with one all you have to do is use a large crescent wrench and locking pliers to remove the ball from the hitch. We use these to prevent that situaution http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/automotive/towing/&displaynav=no&parent_id=&sub_cat_id=CA_TS_05&template=app the last one on the page.

Lynden-Jeff
04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Really the best way is to prevent impulse crimes, stealing of blowers etc. If some one wants your trailer, they will get it.

Cheers

ken gustafson
04-30-2008, 12:25 AM
I suppose if I am not going to try and protect what I have worked hard for and believe that if they want the trailer more than I want the trailer and they have very special equipment and all of the work being done to take the trailer shall not be noticed...by anyone....it sorta makes sense that I am going to lose my trailer. I lost one trailer and it sorta changed my attitude on letting the thief just take it. I just changed my thinking quite a bit about where I park it and all of that stuff. Only when I came to this forum did I get another picture of the stuff being stolen............besides just the trailers. I have never said that our trailer locks are unbeatable but what is required to defeat the locks we build is special equipment and a place where no one will notice....plus some time. The common stuff like padlocks and chains are very easy. We try a lot harder and it is for a reason...I KNOW what it is like having my trailer gone...Do NOT know what it is like to have the trailer gone AND my equipment.......Ken

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Ken,

Your product looks very simple yet very secure. Does the bulldog work on standard tripple tounge trailers with the lip around the hitch? I am looking for the best way to secure my enclosed trailer from a drive off.

ken gustafson
04-30-2008, 11:07 PM
My guess is that we are talking about a trailer ball hitch other than brand name "Bulldog" type of trailer hitch. In answering the question...up front...NO.
I am forced to wait until some form of written paperwork comes from the U.S. Patent Office with some issue of numbers. Otherwise...if I let the cat out of the bag before that time...anyone anywhere in the world can copy my design and then I lose...the design...the product and the $15,000 filing fees and Patent attorney fees. I had that happen...one time before...shame on them but SHALL not happen a second time so no shame on me. I learn but do not have any desire for a very hard and expensive lesson......a second time. Ken

Sweet Tater
05-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I am suprised that I have not seen this mentioned.Monday I am having a car alarm installed on my trailer( yes I have a 12 volt on the trailer. Goning to se the motion sensor fairly sensitive So When I am at a house I can activate it and if anyone climbs on my trailer It goes off. Plus if it moves when I am home it goes off . I hope it works as good as I think.

Petr51488
05-05-2008, 01:51 AM
I use alpha locks on all my vehicles and equipment. I have one for my car, and both my trailers. It keeps the wheel from turning. The only way around this is by taking the wheel off. The pictures aren't mine. I got them off of google to show how they work.

nylan8888
05-30-2008, 09:16 AM
My guess is that we are talking about a trailer ball hitch other than brand name "Bulldog" type of trailer hitch. In answering the question...up front...NO.
I am forced to wait until some form of written paperwork comes from the U.S. Patent Office with some issue of numbers. Otherwise...if I let the cat out of the bag before that time...anyone anywhere in the world can copy my design and then I lose...the design...the product and the $15,000 filing fees and Patent attorney fees. I had that happen...one time before...shame on them but SHALL not happen a second time so no shame on me. I learn but do not have any desire for a very hard and expensive lesson......a second time. Ken

We used one of these cast aluminum locks for awhile and one day my crew leader lost the key. Took about 2 minutes to completely demolish it with a sledge hammer.

nylan8888
05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
The one we demolished was NOT made by Gustafson. His may be better , I don't know.

juspayme
07-07-2008, 02:45 AM
i think most late night theaves are smart, they would case out your place, see whos around when the lights go out and so forth,

they will come prepared. maybee with a trailer tire or 2. by the way that alfa tire lock is a joke! i can change a spare in less than 5 minutes.

thieves probably carry bolt cutters or cables cutters. they can rip threw that stuff in aminute or two.

be smart folks. run thick chains around the axle and through the tires on both sides. it will discourage thieves. if the reailer cant roll it cant be stolen

open trailers are just asking for a robbery. thats alot of locking chainin down every night.

if you dont want ur truck stolen, i have an idea, but i aint tellin

ken gustafson
07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Read a story about some thieves that pulled another trailer...maybe a car trailer cannot remember... this trailer that the thieves brought had a winch on it. They just hooked on to the trailer they wanted to steal and pulled it up on the car trailer they brought. Just thought I would mention .... Ken

CAT powered
07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Couldn't the "ring hitch lock" be defeated by simply taking the ring off and putting a new one on? The bolts on there are totally accessible even when the lock is on. It's as easy as having two wrenches and a new hitch that bolts to the tongue.

I suppose one way to defeat the thief that had the wrenches would be to weld the nut to the bolt, but then you can't get it off either.

ken gustafson
07-07-2008, 10:41 PM
On all of my trailers I weld the nut to the bolt on the one side and then weld the head to the the hitch on the other. I know it sounds like work to undue but for my equipment that is the way I do it. On my 6x12 dump trailer I have not had to move the Lunette ring in almost 11 years. To me it is worth welding the bolts so that they cannot be undone versus me having to buy another trailer. All of my trailers are this way...welded and then locked when not using. Ken