PDA

View Full Version : Help replacing float valve needle on KAWA 12.5

thefed
04-19-2008, 08:59 AM
So after my 12.5 kawa 'seized up' after sitting for 6 months, I pulled tghe plug and a quart of gas/oil mixture came flowing out. I didnt have the fuel line shut off...but still, i assume this means the carb was leaking fuel into the chamber all winter.

So, of course i'll replace the oil(that was my goal anyhow)...but how do i fix this carb. carbs are foreign to me. I ASSUME that i need to replace this float valve needle, but don't know how easy it is to do....

Any suggestions...or ideas from someone who isnt pulling ideas outta their butt (like me)

thanks

FIXDISS
04-19-2008, 09:45 AM
After you drain the oil rotate the engine a few turns by hand with the spark plug out to make sure all fuel is removed.Don't forget to refill oil to proper level. Now make sure the fuel shut-off is closed .Carefully remove the bowl from bottom of carb,usually just a bolt in bottom that holds it on. Be careful not to tear o-ring/gasket.Once bowl is off the float is held in place by a pin.Remove pin by sliding it to whichever side you have room to clear. Make sure you don't let the needle fall out when you remove float pin and float.They tend to find some tough places to hide when set free. Clean everything with carb cleaner and be sure you open fuel valve for a few seconds to flush seating area to remove debris.Reassemble everything and give her a try.

Restrorob
04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
After you drain the oil rotate the engine a few turns by hand with the spark plug out to make sure all fuel is removed

Just a word of caution doing this; Make SURE the spark plug wire/boot is not near any metal part of the engine/frame or make SURE it is grounded directly to the engine/frame.

Fuel shooting out of the plug hole and a spark do not mix.

djagusch
04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Usually the needle just gets dirt between it and the seat. Try cleaning that before you go buy a needle.

thefed
04-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, i did all this...got the float out, replaced it...cleaned the needle and seat area...replaced...turned fuel on.....and pulled my heart out but she won't fire. it doesnt lock up like it did before(after only 4 or 5 pulls it would get gas in the chamber and lock)....but i just keep pulling and no-go.....

im stuck!

FIXDISS
04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Is the kill switch in run position ? Had to ask. If you spray a short burst of carb cleaner into it does it try to run ? Did you refill with oil ? If you have low oil safety on it it won't fire up if low on oil.

thefed
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
kill switch is on. fuel line is back on. shot some carb cleaner in and not even an attempt. oil is full.

i think im gonna dump it at the mower shop in the a.m....i cant afford to wait!

then i replaced the clutch in an 05 bobcat ztr....and the bracket that holds the bottom half of the clutch in place doesnt line up with the clutch...sooo....i assume its either the wrong clutch or i need a new bracket?

FIXDISS
04-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Was the plug firing ?

thefed
04-20-2008, 11:58 PM
i would have no idea....can i put it close to something metal to see if it arcs like i do on a car?

FIXDISS
04-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Yes.remove plug and hook to plug wire then ground to head . Pull cord and watch for spark.