PDA

View Full Version : How well do web sites work compared to other advertising methods?

Pilgrims' Pride
04-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi folks,

Well the title says it all.
I'm considering getting off my wallet and setting up a web site.
I've done yellow pages and got tire kickers.
I've done mailings and had dismal results.
What can I expect?
Any tips on what to/not to put in it?

Thanks,

Bob

Hamons
04-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, for me -- _I don't think of a website a s a type of marketing as much as I think of it as just a cost of doing business.

A website by itself is not going to generate its own leads for a long time unless it is combined with another type of advertising either online or offline.

However, I do feel like website can help your close rate for all of those, dramatically effect your referral rates and over time may become established enough that it would generate its own leads.

My website, combine with google adwords has more than payed for itself in 6 months.

mdvaden
04-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Depends.

For drawing internet traffic, typically a slow process, whereas ads can bring immediate results.

But suppose you have a nice website, with a nice photo, and excellent background information, that site can be immediately useful if you list the URL address on your ads, cards or brochures in big letters - like much more obvious than your phone number.

jwillaford
04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Don't see your ads as an either or. See them as an organic path. For instance, what happens at my company most often is

Direct Mail/Yellow pages [least informative] --> Website [more informative] --> phone call/meeting [most informative]

Most customers want information before they make a phone call. The reason they don't respond to ads, direct mail, or the yellow pages could be because they don't offer enough information (and probably shouldn't attempt to) to make them want to take the step to call. That middle step offers more privacy and information about your company and its quality. The great thing is that it can be the first and second step all at the same time with search engines.

But, with our experience, most move to a phone call after they have gone through a process of gathering information passively.

B & B Yardscape
04-20-2008, 04:47 PM
My web page is a 47 page brochure. I think it is like jwillaford said.

I use it to deter the tire kickers. With the cost of gas, it is better to turn them away before you spend time and money. If they are serious they will call and set up an appointment.

Even if they don't look before, I make sure they visit after the in person estimate. Lets the see my work and make an informed decision.

Some guys will claim and probably get dozens of hits a day and several calls. I don't see that. I get 7-8 unique visitors a day and some of them call. Probably 1 every couple of days. But for $4.95 a month to host and I do all the building. I consider it a great deal.

vacamper
04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Just like Hamons said, its a cost of doing business. A website is a cost effective and timely way of promoting your business. Its easier to update than yellow pages and there are unlimited ways to display your handiwork. Simplest is best in most cases. Don't try to make your site sell for you. The main objective is to peak their interest enough for you them to give you a ring.

JTS Landscaping lawn
04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
yeh B&B yardscape were did you make your website. really need to get one going.

B & B Yardscape
04-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Sorry JTS for the long response time, but its that time of year.

I built my own site. I use Tripod as a host. It cost $4.95 a month to host it without pop up ads.

They have free web design templates that you can use to make your own. Just pick a good web address and give it a try. It doesn't cost anything to build and once you got it up and running you can pay to have the pop up ads removed.

Any questions, let me know

Good Luck