PDA

View Full Version : I might have goofed...

Paulup
04-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Ok, so i tried some Scott's Weed and Feed. I have Centipede grass. I applied the Scott's using a Scott's standard spreader, and applied it per the specifications on the bag. This was nearly a month ago. As of 3 days ago, my grass has started to brown in large areas. The browning starts at the tip of the blade and works its way back 1.5 to 2 inches.

Does it sound like the Weed and Feed is causing it, or could it be something entirely different?

Also, is there a good fertilizer that I can apply to help strengthen/thicken the grass and get it growing a little faster. Up until a few days ago, I had the best looking grass in the neighborhood, now its starting to lag behind with its recent browning.

Any advice you guys can give would be great. I don't have an applicator's license, so I'm limited to what i can pick up at my local feed store or Lowe's/HD. Thanks.

dancar81
04-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Do you irrigate..can you post a pic?

Daner
04-19-2008, 01:38 PM
How much did you over lap...Whats the temp...how tall was the grass when you applied the fert. and yes take some pictures...what brand of Scott's did you use

Paulup
04-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Give me about 10 minutes and I'll post all of that.

Paulup
04-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok here we go. These first 2 pics are just the yard. You will notice the light browning, and some dark grey. The dark grey is the dead grass from winter(i think) that is kind of stuck there, I need to dethatch it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/Gromann/IMG_1168.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/Gromann/IMG_1169.jpg

Here is a close up of the grass so you can see what i'm talking about.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/Gromann/IMG_1170.jpg

And here is a picture of the bag of Scott's Bonus S, Southern Weed and Feed.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/Gromann/IMG_1171.jpg

I'm in South Louisiana, the grass is Grade A Centipede Sod, planted in 2005. I cut it anywhere from 2.25" to 2.75", depending on how much rain we had recently, and how long its going to be before I cut it again.

When i spread the Weed and Feed, i set up the sprinklers, but my well couldn't keep up. The next day we got almost an inch of rain, so i didn't bother setting the sprinklers up again as all of the pink granules had disappeared. I did about 12k sq feet of grass with it. I tried my best not to overlap with the feed. There seems to be absolutely no pattern in the browning, as i have it in high and low spots and its not heavier where i made turns with the spreader or would have typically overlapped. Thanks again guys.

JDUtah
04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm no expert on centipede, but from the description and pictures, I would say it isn't from your fertilizer, directly. I would bet it is a fungus. Summer or brown patch maybe. Excessive nitrogen fertilizer in hotter months can make your grass more susceptible. Not sure how warm it has been out there? We haven't had much success with fungicides. I think your best bet would be to get it aerated. Also, drought to lots of water can stress your lawn and make it more susceptible to fungus. If you are not watering on a regular schedule, that might help as well. Oh, and I can't tell from the pics, but if you haven't sharpened your blades recently that leaves them more vulnerable as well. Try to sharpen after every 16 hours or so of mowing. Good luck!

Paulup
04-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Blades are 11 hours old, its a brand new machine. I think the hottest its been this season is about 85 degrees. We hadn't had rain in almost 3 weeks when the grass started to turn brown, but finally got a good drenching last night.

Anyone else have an idea as to why its browning? If its fungus, is there anything i can do besides aeration and consistent watering to help? I live in the sticks, and the well i have can't keep up with constant lawn watering. 2 hoses and 2 sprinklers will leave the water pressure at a trickle and neither will spread water very well.

jbturf
04-19-2008, 06:38 PM
i think you would have seen damage alot sooner- if it were from your application
i would also suspect a drought/disease problem
g/l

SkyCaptain
04-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I use the same weed and feed here in florida on my houses on the golf courses. Scott's does take 4 weeks to kick in. I swear by it. So I am going to say it isn't that. I like scott's because of the no-burn mixture. It is hard to goof it.

Paulup
04-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I was around town passing out fliers this afternoon on my 4wheeler and noticed about 30% of the lawns i passed have the same browning pattern on them, so i suspect drought. They all seemed to be high ground with good drainage. Lack of water must be the culprit.

LawnTamer
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
I think you may have some drought damage. You said you had about 3 weeks without precipitation. That is a long time for a growing lawn to go, even with humidity. On drought damaged turf, you often see the top of the blade showing stress first, once those top cells die, you have to wait for new growth to push up.

My advice would be to make suer the lawn has ample water for the next 2-3weeks and see if the next two cuttings doesn't eliminate the brown areas.

QLC- Rick
04-19-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree with JD, probly a fungus issue, most likely aggravated by the nitrogen in the fert. I wouldn't put down any more nitrogen, aerate it, and only water in the morning.

(wi) Roots
04-19-2008, 10:09 PM
fungi! use aproprite fungicide! Check Ph levels and water early morings only watering will cause the fungi known as hiphe to jump from plant too plant. This is visiable early morning as spider web effect! It's is advisable to contact local professional to dianose accordingly and give fungicide application to findings.

fordnut
04-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Did you use regular Scotts or the bonus S. The Bonus S has less 2,4-D in it. Centipede is not very tolerant to a lot of 2,4-D. I have see regular Scotts kill centipede. I know because before I got into the lawn business I put some on my yard. Killed it dead!

Barry

RigglePLC
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
What does the Bonus S label say about centipede? What are active ingredients? I am from Michigan--no knowledge of centipede. Drought does not cause half-moon patterns--was this a rotary spreader job? Can you tell exactly where you applied the product. How much does a bag cover? Did you use too much? Stops--starts--jerky motions--did you back up? Drought should affect the sunny areas first--shady areas and north side of house usually remain green for weeks longer.

sciturfman
04-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Did you have any frost in the past week or so? I know we had a cold snap right after Easter and we had a little frost damage to the grass.

Daner
04-20-2008, 09:32 AM
His problem right now Is his water supply Is low...like he stated about the well...to me the grass does look burnt...What type of spreader...what was It set at?? and give us a run down on how you applied the fert...was It windy that day...Hot? when was the last time you aerated that lawn? what are the NPK#S on the bag...and what was the coverage?

D

Paulup
04-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Alright I'll try to answer everything in one post, so if i miss something forgive me.

I used Bonus S, it clearly said on the bag that it was good for Centipede grass.

I applied it using a Scott's Standard walk behind spreader. I used setting 4(i think) which is what the bag told me to do. I fertilized about 12k sq ft, using 15k sq ft worth of Bonus S, according to the bag specifications. The 10k sq ft bag is still 30% full. I used a North/South walking pattern, and i made sure that the edge of each spreading circle wasn't overlapping more than a couple inches with each pass. The "burn" pattern isn't heavier where I could have had too much overlap.

The weather was warm, probably mid 70s. The "burn" pattern has happened on both the North and South side of the house. You cannot see any burn pattern in areas where i get much shade, only where the lawn gets sunlight 80%+ of the day. Last week we did have a large temperature drop one night, but i think the low was 38*.

NPK is 29-3-4, I'm a fertilizer newbie, so if you have any more questions that aren't on the label, we're gonna have to go to the Scott's website to find the answer.

Daner
04-20-2008, 12:52 PM
With very little water on that lawn ,and the high N with 24D ...I think you need to get water and more water on It...I know about weak wells...there no good for watering lawns...but IMO...thats what you need...hows your weather forecast??? Hope It rains for yaa...or use a water truck and give It a good soaking If there's no rain on the way...maybe aerate and over seed In the fall

Paulup
04-20-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm gonna give water a shot this afternoon when it cools off. I can run one good sprinkler without having water issues, so i'll just rotate it around for a few hours. We're forecast rain on Tues/Wed so maybe that will help green it up a bit.