PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys fill up on the route

cod8825
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Ok here is my question I do almost nothing but commercial accounts. It is my first year so all I have for spraying is a 200 gallon tank sprayer so my question is where do you fill up your tanks when you are out on the route to save from driving back to the shop. Most of my accounts are close to each other but are about fifteen miles from home. There are gas stations that have water facets that you can attach a garden hose but I am not sure of the stigma of mixing chemicals at a place where people are and such what are your thoughts. Most of my accounts are three acres and up and well there goes one tank. I have about 70 acres in accounts. Any help is appreciated

Matt

mngrassguy
04-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Call the City and ask where they would prefer you to fill. Most public works depts allow it on their fill pads

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Are gas stations OK with you filling up a 200 Gal tank? When I hydroseeded, we would fill at a lake, or river with gas powered pump. (setting up the pump took longer than filling my 650 gal tank...about 3 minutes) I'd chech with dnr first. Here in Indiana we can do that, but just across the state line in Michigan it's forbidden. You definitely get some looks! Oh, and be really carefull you don't overflow & spill!

Doesn't answer your question, but if you are doing 70 acres per round, I'd seriously look at a ride on. You'd be suprised how much time & $ you'd save in the long run:)

(wi) Roots
04-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Go back to the shop and fill!. Check your spray callibration. If your running out entirely to soon! your rate is off!. Never, fill up outside of shop. Unprofessional!

rcreech
04-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Go back to the shop and fill!. Check your spray callibration. If your running out entirely to soon! your rate is off!. Never, fill up outside of shop. Unprofessional!

Totally agree!

You should never fill up at a customer's location. Not very professional IMO to do that!

I only fill at home!

RigglePLC
04-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Calibration is good; you are probably applying 1.5 gallons per thousand. Of course you could walk faster, use a smaller nozzle and less pressure and use one gal per thousand.

I have a note in my written material. We may need to fill up with water at your location, if you have any concerns about this, please let us know.

Of course, you could always add an extra 200 gal tank--they are cheap. Hope you have good tires. 100 gallons weighs 834 pounds.

cod8825
04-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks I actually never thought about calling the public works in the towns that I have accounts in I will call them and find out. I will see about fill stations and such. In Lee's Summit the town that I do most of my work in that is not a problem.

PHS
04-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I fill up at the shop now because a full tank can cover me for the day. But if you have bigger tanks or need to fill during the day, getting a water meter and using a hydrant works pretty good. That gets you back on the road quickly. Make sure you use regularly used hydrants, a tank full of rusty water sucks.

Ric
04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
cod8825

Fire Stations and Fire Plugs, You may have to pay a permit fee.

But IMHO it might be time for a bigger truck. Don't discount a Trailer with a larger tank set up. Or go the Z sprayer route rather than dragging hose on 70 acres.

grandview (2006)
04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm sure where ever you fill you are using a back flow device.

cod8825
04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Correct I am using a back flow device. The Z sprayer is a one to two year down the road idea but I don't have the cash for it now. I will call fire stations and see what they can do also thanks again.

mngrassguy
04-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Fire stations/fire plugs are too much in public view. Most do NOT have backflow prevention devices or diked, impervious fill pads and require a permit and meter.

Fill from a lake or pond? I hope that was just a joke. Not very funny. Someone here may take you serious

philk17088
04-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Wow!
I feel guilty filling my one gallon hand wash jug at a customer's property.

Ric
04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Fire stations/fire plugs are too much in public view. Most do NOT have backflow prevention devices or diked, impervious fill pads and require a permit and meter.

Fill from a lake or pond? I hope that was just a joke. Not very funny. Someone here may take you serious

MN

Some town give or sell permits to use public Fire plug water. Marco Island, Fla. is one of those town that sells a unlimited permit. One of my big boy competitors sends a Truck inland to service a small town, They tank up at the Fire Dept free of charge. My town has hose bibs on some Fire plugs for watering plants near by. I have tanked off those fire plug hose bibs.

I have a deep well at my house and save paying for water.

JB1
04-20-2008, 03:18 PM
We have one large industrial where we use their fire hydrants. Otherwise back at the shop.

topsites
04-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Wow!
I feel guilty filling my one gallon hand wash jug at a customer's property.

That's why I got a 2.5g one :laugh:

mngrassguy
04-20-2008, 04:58 PM
In Mn we are REQUIRED by law to use a back flow prevention unit. We also MUST be on an impervious surface (ie asphalt/pavement) with berms to protect against overspill. Floor drains must be plugged. Even if this were not a requirement, It would still be irresponsible to fill anywhere else.

mngrassguy
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Ever try to fill your tank with a firehose using the "air drop" method for back flow prevention? Good way to get wet!!!

OBRYANMAINT
04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
i think if you adjust rate per thousand the 200 gallon would last the day

and you can fill back at the shop at night or in the morning

possibly a small boom type that goes on a mower i have one for my walker and i use it in large areas to stretch the water and to not walk areas that i can ride..it doubles my acreage when used

also i have seen like mentioned above a second tank

PHS
04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Ever try to fill your tank with a firehose using the "air drop" method for back flow prevention? Good way to get wet!!!

If you're trying to hold the fire hose you would probably get wet but not if you have a tank mounted air gap the way you're supposed to. A hydrant and fire hose was the only way I filled my 900gal tree spraying rig.

I've never done it before but filling from a lake or pond is legal in many areas.

cod8825
04-20-2008, 09:19 PM
So that I am understanding your responses some of you fill straight from a fire hydrant the kind that firefighters use when battling a blaze. I guess that you guys turn her on and hold on tight while it throws you through the air. Just kidding, I like the idea about air drops but that sounds too wet to me.

garydale
04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
We have arrangements with Gas stations,commercial customers and local water treatment plant as well.
Provide free lawn or tree shrub service to Gas station or commercial account for free water. An apartment complex works with us on the water problem in one area.
We cover most of four different counties an need remote water sources.

Ric
04-21-2008, 11:37 AM

MN

Darn I never realized Fire stations only had fire hoses. Here I was thinking they might also have standard hose bibs faucets for washing their trucks etc. Boy am I Dumb.

LwnmwrMan22
04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
cod8825

Fire Stations and Fire Plugs, You may have to pay a permit fee.

But IMHO it might be time for a bigger truck. Don't discount a Trailer with a larger tank set up. Or go the Z sprayer route rather than dragging hose on 70 acres.

When I was running my 200 gallon tank, I also had (2) 300 gallon tanks in the trailer. I used a 14k dump trailer with all tanks mounted to the trailer, with a gas powered transfer pump with PVC pipes that would be adjustable to move from one tank to the other.

I then sealed off the back door of the trailer so it was also it's own containment system. I could refill the 200 gallon tank in about 5 minutes, as it was a 40 gallon per minute pump.

carcrz
04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks I actually never thought about calling the public works in the towns that I have accounts in I will call them and find out. I will see about fill stations and such. In Lee's Summit the town that I do most of my work in that is not a problem.

In LS, fill up at the water tower off of Todd George. If you're over on 150 hwy, there's another tower 2 miles West of Ward Road.

Shades of Green LService
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Local family owned Gas station. Whom are also a customer.