PDA

View Full Version : Round Up Pro Worth the Price?

SkyCaptain
04-19-2008, 08:07 PM
I use roundup weed and grass killer for mulch beds. I was in Lowe's today and seen the Pro for $158. Is it any better than reg weed and grass killer or is the price for the larger quantity?

(wi) Roots
04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Pre emergent. Control will effect ungerminated weed before they emerge.

Tim Johnson
04-20-2008, 01:54 PM
You can find a better price, I think I pay around 115, for a 2.5 gallon jug. You will see the results faster with pro, than regular, usually with 35 hours

rcreech
04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Buy the cheapest gly you can!

I always say....how can you get better then a great kill?

The generic gly with surfactant works just as good as anything!

topsites
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I use roundup weed and grass killer for mulch beds. I was in Lowe's today and seen the Pro for $158. Is it any better than reg weed and grass killer or is the price for the larger quantity?

I know what you're talking about and I'm not sure either...
The cheapest I know of is the Super Concentrate gallon with the purple cap for $100'ish...
The Pro MIGHT be cheaper but the super is what I've always bought because I never could make heads or tails of the mix ratios on the Pro...

Either one, it's about how many gallons of mix we get out of it AFTER we add water, that's what it boils down to.

greenman099
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Check the % gly, then compare prices for the amount of a.i. that you're buying. Some is 20%, some is 40%, so you get twice the gly on the second one.

olive123
04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
the main importance of pro vs any other at least here in the south is that
it is rainfast in an hour. Most knockoffs are 2-6. That means a lot when you spend time on important clients. There are surfactants in pro that no others have even prosecutor pro.

xdamxincx
05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
pardon my lack of knowledge here but what is GLY and where can i purchase it ?

ProLawns
05-25-2009, 11:46 PM
pardon my lack of knowledge here but what is GLY and where can i purchase it ?

GLY is short for glyphosate, the main ingredient in non-selective herbicides such as Roundup. I've been using RazorPro at 4 oz. per gallon and it still doesn't knock down weeds as fast as Roundup Pro at 2 oz. per gallon. I'll probably go back to using Roundup.

xdamxincx
05-26-2009, 12:10 AM
i have done a lil more research on here .. i see what gly is now ..
but what are people using and where are they buying it..
i saw some guys posting they used to get it off ebay . but now the price is crazy there.

mngrassguy
05-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Round-up Pro is all I use. I get the packets that make 1 gl each. Easy to mix, easy to use. Like others have said, it works faster than anything on the market and is rain fast.

tamadrummer
05-26-2009, 03:13 AM
GLY is short for glyphosate, the main ingredient in non-selective herbicides such as Roundup. I've been using RazorPro at 4 oz. per gallon and it still doesn't knock down weeds as fast as Roundup Pro at 2 oz. per gallon. I'll probably go back to using Roundup.

The only NuFarm products that I have had any luck with are; ProDeuce and RazorBurn

I bought a 2.5 gal jug of Extra Credit and it was the pitts!:nono:

I have been using Round Up Quick Pro, buying it in the 6.8lb jug and it works great but on many of the weeds I am trying to kill, it is simply too fast and will burn off the top but not kill the root.

I am currently using a generic made by Monsanto that is in the same jug as the Round Up Pro but isn't labeled as Round Up Pro. I cannot remember the name and it is in the garage. At 2 am I am not going out to look. :laugh: I will know how it is working in about a week. I started using it 2 weeks ago and I am curious to see what kind of results I will have.

On a side note, I am using the blue marking dye now as well. The stuff is pretty cool, it looks bad when sprayed on concrete but in about an hour it disappears. Any way to save some money and not spraying things multiple times is a great way.

And to answer the OP question: Yes $158 is TOO much. Buy it from a chemical supplier that sells to commercial operations not the entire Home owner public and hack lawn guys that don't know any better. You will save money and the knowledge the guys in these places, (other than lesco, our lesco guys are former short bus riders I think) is 2nd to none.

greendoctor
05-26-2009, 03:34 AM
I like RoundUp Powermax/Promaxx. This is 55% potassium glyphosate. Yes, in my location rainfastness is important because of irrigation and the fact that the only time weeds really grow is during rainy spells. This is way more expensive than generic glyphosate or even RoundUp Pro. But I am willing to pay for results and the ability to apply 2 quarts per acre with the assurance that all susceptible weeds are dead. It is also nice not having to make up concoctions with surfactants and ammonium sulfate to get generic gly to work worth a darn. Not to mention, I have observed that it takes 50% more of the generic or RoundUp Pro to get the same kill. Before it was marketed, I experimented with glyphosate/diquat tank mixes, as well as Scythe/glyphosate mixes. Diquat is not very helpful to me. My normal reasons for applying glyphosate are lawn renovations/conversions to different species of grass, removal of escaped turf in landscaped areas, and established grassy weeds in noncrop areas. Diquat burns down something like bermuda or zoysia before the glyphosate is completely systemic in the target grass. A low rate of Scythe has served me much better due to its tissue penetrant effect. Since going to potassium glyphosate, I have had to add neither. Most vegetation is looking bad 4 days after being sprayed with a 1% solution or 2 quarts per acre.

Young Bros
05-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Last year we used generic w/ sticker. This year we ordered RU pro max I think w/ sticker. It is rain fast quicker than generic. If it rains or a sprinkler happen to go off on our RU that day, the pro works better.

Ric
05-26-2009, 12:31 PM
the main importance of pro vs any other at least here in the south is that
it is rainfast in an hour. Most knockoffs are 2-6. That means a lot when you spend time on important clients. There are surfactants in pro that no others have even prosecutor pro.

Olive

LI 700 will lower rain fast time of Genetic glyphosate, 1/3 oz per gallon.

doug1980
05-26-2009, 11:52 PM
This may be hard to believe but I have used Ortho's Weed B Gone and had great results in driveways and beds. I also use hyvar or larger jobs and it works very well.