PDA

View Full Version : kawasaki on a wright stander

cowboytim
04-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I have a electric start on a wright that I have to jump every time to get it to start. I sthis my coil going bad or is the brushes on the starter bad

kayeproperties
04-19-2008, 10:07 PM
If you have to jump start it that means your battery isnt producing enough voltage to start it. If you can jump start it off of another battery or mower or vehicle then it proves the starter is good. I had a Wright Stander with a Kawi and it turns out the charging system didnt work so I just installed a car battery mounted on the front deck and charged it every couple days. The real way would be to check to see if its the regulator, stator ,wiring or flywheel and replace as needed.

lifetree
04-19-2008, 10:11 PM
If you have to jump start it that means your battery isnt producing enough voltage to start it. ...

I thought everyone knew this basic level of information !!

cowboytim
04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I switched out batteries and even bigger batterie and that did not seem to matter

FIXDISS
04-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Do you have a multimeter to check battery voltage ? Was the bigger battery good ? Are you jump starting by connectiing jumper cables at battery or some other way ? Have you removed and cleanned the terminals so you have good connections to the battery posts ? Make sure you have a good ground connection from negative terminal on battery.

cowboytim
04-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes that is all good I had a truck battery onthere just for a few minutes to try that. It must be starter brushes going bad

Restrorob
04-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I haven't seen mention of a starter solenoid yet ???

As FIXDISS asked, How are you jump starting this unit ?

I have to jump every time to get it to start.

I switched out batteries and even bigger batterie and that did not seem to matter

cowboytim
04-20-2008, 12:47 PM
jumped it with starter on cherger as well of a truck battery with volt meter relay is good

FIXDISS
04-20-2008, 01:05 PM
With whichever battery you have on it now perform the following test. Using a multimeter hold the test leads to the negative and positive posts on the battery posts themselve,not the cables. While reading the voltage on the meter have someone try and start the engine and read the voltage again. Post what you find.Also perform this test with the test leads to meter on the wire that connects to the starter itself (positive)and black lead to engine ground . Post those too. If battery voltage is dropping too low you have a bad battery regardless how big the battery is. Make sure meter is set for DC voltage.