PDA

View Full Version : Add diquat or straight gly?

PHS
04-20-2008, 10:00 AM
How many of you are using staight glyphosate for weed control and how many are spiking it with diquat?

I've always just used straight gly for general weed control but last year I signed on a new nutty customer who was obsessed with weeds and I started adding diquat to speed things up and keep them happy until things were under control and I've just kept using it. Now I'm noticing that I don't seem to get as good control on some of the more stubborn weeds and when they burnout fast they remain upright and bright tan color and need to be pulled. Whereas with just gly smaller weeds wilt/shrivel and they sort of disappear into the mulch without having to deal with them again. So I'm switching back to straight gly. Anyone else doing the same?

olive123
04-20-2008, 11:52 AM
i find that the diquat has a tendancy to overtake the gly and not give good control. I use it mainly for liquid edging or quick takedown of weeds on special projects.

LawnTamer
04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
I like straight glyphosate, have you read the ppe requirements for diquat? That is some nasty stuff. I did a 1 acre kill 2 weeks ago, straight glyphosate, drove by it yesterday for the first time since application was made, not a hint of life anywhere. It may take 2 weeks but it sure as heck got it all.

Ric
04-20-2008, 01:10 PM
i find that the diquat has a tendancy to overtake the gly and not give good control. I use it mainly for liquid edging or quick takedown of weeds on special projects.

Olive

We agree again. I was going to post that but didn't want an argument about Roundup Quick Pro. Monsanto has worked out the formula so both the Gly and Di work together. I have tried adding Diquat and found I am wasting my Roundup. Adding Scythe works well but is expensive. The Cost is mostly a Huge profit margin for Dow Chemical Co. Pelargonic acid is made in Germany and sold to Dow at very low per ton cost. Dow adds water and packages it as Scythe.

olive123
04-20-2008, 06:07 PM
i used to use scythe as a "teaser" but it irritates me too much, if I never smell it
again I will be happy.