PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Parking Area

mike33087
04-20-2008, 11:15 AM
I am going to install a gravel parking area at my shop to put the trucks and trailers on to keep them out of the mud when it rains.

What I was wondering was, Do I need to create a base out of (lint pack) or crushed stone first and tamp in down level? Or can I just put in a couple yards of gravel 4 - 6 inches thick? I really want this to be a small quick job as Im not making money off it, just trying to keep the trucks cleaner! Thanks in advance guys and girls

Isobel
04-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Don't worry about a base layer, just lay the gravel down. You may have to refresh it every year or few years, but its nothing major.

I've found 3/4" works nicely if you plan on walking on it alot, it packs down relatively smooth pretty well.

gene gls
04-20-2008, 10:27 PM
The easiest fix in the long run is to do the job properaly the first time. If you have a "mud" problem now, you need to remove the mud material and put in a base. I use a "road base " material that consists of 3/4" traprock and the dust and excess material that comes off the crusher. Put it down in 3-4" layers and let it pack down before adding more. When its done right, its almost like blacktop.

Clapper&Company
04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
The easiest fix in the long run is to do the job properaly the first time. If you have a "mud" problem now, you need to remove the mud material and put in a base. I use a "road base " material that consists of 3/4" traprock and the dust and excess material that comes off the crusher. Put it down in 3-4" layers and let it pack down before adding more. When its done right, its almost like blacktop.
I agree use a road base and its not bad price either..

Dont use a round stone like 57's cause it dosent pack.

Also We put down Geo Grid on new drives