PDA

View Full Version : Boxwood Hedge?

Summerscapes
04-20-2008, 12:01 PM
What fixture would you use to illuminate a formal boxwood hedge approx 2-3' tall?

I was looking at Unique's Nova fixture...

The Lighting Geek
04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I would try downlighting it if possible. Also a Stellar might work as well with a 10 or even a 5 watt bulb if 20 is too strong.

NightScenes
04-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree with Tommy, you need a small wash or down lighting. The smallest wash that I know of is the Unique Stellar.

irrig8r
04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
What if parallel hedges line a brick walkway and there are no trees or structures to downlight from?

The Lighting Geek
04-20-2008, 02:15 PM
What if parallel hedges line a brick walkway and there are no trees or structures to downlight from?

I would possibly use an Endeavour, Expedition or Centaurus 48" or 60" stem (area light). It would depend on it relates to the rest of the portrait and view points. Also a Solaris might work. My first choice would be to create ambient light through washing and uplighting nearby smaller trees or shrubs and if that isn't getting it done, then look at area lights.:)

The Lighting Geek
04-20-2008, 02:38 PM
There is always my backup plan: observer with a skyhook mount.:laugh:

Pro-Scapes
04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
depends on the situation. There is no one correct answer. I generally dont light hedges and let the ambience I create light them.

Maybe its just me but I cant see a boxwood being a focal point. If I needed to light some along a walkway and there was no downlighting options I would probably opt for the endeavor or other tall pathlights.

I also wouldnt use the nova unless it needs to go in a rock area....recessed application or something similar. Too easy for that small in grade fixture to get covered up.

irrig8r
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
In a case I ran across and planned a lighting job for last summer (and was rejected based on cost) there were hedges lining a walk... actually slightly overgrowing the walk...

The solution I came up with was area lights informally spaced in middle of the hedge, combined with uplighting some medium size trees and hoping to get some of the light to bounce back onto the walk...

You can see some junk solar fixtures and parts of an old line voltage pagoda light system there at the time the photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/g.catanese/June07?authkey=4L-7GRM9FtU) were taken.

There are some older white birches that I planned to light, but not near the walks... and a couple of crape myrtles at one end by the driveway... not really good candidates for screwing a fixture too either.

Lots of formally pruned shrubs near walks that might be interesting to light, but no convenient spots for fixtures.

BTW Billy, the boxwoods weren't a focal point, just happened to line the path that the customers wanted lit between their entry and driveway.

Pro-Scapes
04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
thats different greg. you had to light the walkway. The original post calls for lighting a boxwood and speaks nothing of lighting a walkway.

ccfree
04-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Two thoughts come to mind. Try the 4411 par 36 lamp which has a trapezoidal beam pattern. You can also try an MR-16 lamp with a linear spread lens which will give you a horizontal beam pattern that you are looking for. This will only work if you have enough distance back from the formal boxwood hedge. Just point the lines on the linear spread lens facing vertical.

Mike M
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree with Billy regarding the ambient light; and that's what Gregg was saying, too, regarding illuminating something close to get reflected light.

If nothing nearby, I think paths as small area lights would work.

Lite4
04-21-2008, 01:50 AM
How dense is the hedge? Here is something I have wanted to try in your situation. If it is not completely dense, I thought of placing some novas spaced at intervals inside the hedge and illuminate it from the inside out. If your bulb is powerful enough it may show some translucent qualities of the boxwood leaves, and you may get a green glow in the hedges. At the very least you may get some silhouting. You could also string some White led lights, "like Christmas lights", inside the hedge along the length of it. Hedges lining walkways are always difficult to light without trees or structures to downlight from.

JoeyD
04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
How dense is the hedge? Here is something I have wanted to try in your situation. If it is not completely dense, I thought of placing some novas spaced at intervals inside the hedge and illuminate it from the inside out. If your bulb is powerful enough it may show some translucent qualities of the boxwood leaves, and you may get a green glow in the hedges. At the very least you may get some silhouting. You could also string some White led lights, "like Christmas lights", inside the hedge along the length of it. Hedges lining walkways are always difficult to light without trees or structures to downlight from.

This works great when using the supplied Frosted Dome Lens on the Nova!

We also use this technique with hedges now and it works awesome! It is a wooden tree post put in the middle of the hedge with the Enterprise fixture mounted to it! It works great for down lighting the hedge and giving the ground some good coverage as well.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Enerprise.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Enterprise2.jpg

Sorry for the grainy pictures. I was having a hard time saving these shots to my computer from a spreadsheet.

irrig8r
04-21-2008, 11:52 AM
That looks like Prunus caroliniana maybe.... certainly not a boxwood... and not the two to three ft. ht. of the original question....

BTW.... that lawn looks awful...

All that aside, as far as the lighting goes, I'd like to see it at night.

One more thing... have you ever seen what a gas powered hedge trimmer does to a copper fixture?

Pro-Scapes
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Joey I really like that fixture, just not in that application. Just curious as to why well lights were not used ?

JoeyD
04-21-2008, 01:10 PM
New application was all. That area is actually muchnicer than the pictures reflect. These photos were taken before adjustment and before we anchored the posts in place. We had to figure the spacing out. I have some other pictures of them at night I need to dig up.

JoeyD
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
This was a new technique we used mainly because hedges are so tuff to light up well. I love the glowing from within look but on a hedge that is tall, dark, and dense it can easily overcome any fixture, as well as the debris that piles up. Also when lighting form the outside it is very hard to get a uniform light across the hedge without producing concentric cirles or V patterns. Especially here where this lawn area is used quite often for banquests and night time events, this application allowed for some good surface lighting.

so there was a little method to our madness here.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Rather then grazing a hedge like that from below, I would be tempted to uplight it from within. Yes it would eat light, and fixtures, but for the right client... that would be a very cool effect.

In a much smaller application a few years ago I had some similar but shorter hedges lining either side of some limestone risers on a path. I simply cross lit the steps with small Lumiere bullets at ground level fitted with 10W frost lamps... The internal glow through the hedges was really cool, and the steps were safely lit too.