PDA

View Full Version : Planting and soil amendments?

Shady Brook
04-20-2008, 12:49 PM
A question for you folks who do a lot of Tree, shrub, and perenial plantings. What type of proceedure do you follow when planting your plants? Do you use some type of plant starter, compost mixed with soil, mineral supplement, inocculent, Blooming fertilizer, general fertilizer or something else when installing your plants?

I have never seen any hard facts that prove anything in particular will help plant quality, but am sure there are products that do. I am interested in a product called Azomite which is a trace mineral product. They make some amazing claims, but it is coming from their company.

Any help would be great.

AintNoFun
04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
i too would like to know what others think.. ive done some planting with the watersorb gels and mychrozziae (sp?) on the same job while didn't use them on some of the plant material and noticed no difference.. i too see the same claims but no real evidence really... im always looking to get our plant loss ratio down and open to things as well...

Az Gardener
04-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I looked at the Azomite site and being from Indiana I have never seen corn not exceed 6' tall like the untreated in their picture. The corn they treated looks like what I would expect to see back home.

Utah where the stuff is from has some nasty soil much like we do here in Az. The water is even worse. Unless you are growing some exotic plants or you are planting on a former dump or mining site I would think you would do fine with your native soil.

Tips for great plants
Dig your holes very wide and not any deeper than the plant. Auger holes are for production not healthy plants. The smooth sides they make inhibit the roots from moving into the native soil. Don't plant too deep or mulch over the root flare. Never plant a dry plant, different soil types absorb water at different rates. Gently loosen root bound plants roots. Be sure you don't have any air pockets, tamp with a shovel handle (I would rather have isolated compaction issues rather than fungus which is what you get with air pockets)

I do some soil amendments here because we have bad soil and water and I plant some things that would not normally grow here in the Sonoran desert. I don't think you would need too much in the heartland. A little slow release all purpose fert after planting should improve your plant health and not break the bank. Do that with my planting tips and you should be golden.