PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think I should do?

Daren
12-05-2001, 09:05 PM
Well i have a problem and dont really know what to do about it. My Employee is a very good worker and is very valuable, more than that we are pretty good friends. Anyway winter is coming on and I have been struggling to keep work up for us and most of it I could do alone. Well he calls tonight and says that a friend of a friend of his called him wanting some landscaping work done. Well he went over and looked it over, calls me and says it is a major landscape job. Well I ask him how much he told her and he said he told her that he would work for $11.00 an hour. Well our local rate is $50.00 per hour for 2 of us. He is not even wanting to include me in the deal. I will have nothing to do the days that he is working this. he is hinting for estimates of how much material and so forth. How should I approcah this. Me and him have both talk about lowballers and people without insurance, license and so forth bidding stuff really low and driving prices and quality down. He does not know this customer. Anyway any ideas of how to approach this?

Thanks,

groundsguy1970
12-05-2001, 09:13 PM
I think you may need to look @ how you are living. Maybe read some of Phil Nilson's books! :)

KDJ
12-05-2001, 09:18 PM
Well if he was as good as you say, I would not worry about it. It sounds like he will get in over his head. Let him do it go find some work for your self and when he comes back for some more work, let him sit out a few jobs.

keifer
12-05-2001, 10:04 PM
Dont sound like much of a buddy or employee I would find new ones of both.

LoneStarLawn
12-05-2001, 10:06 PM
Did he get the job under your company name? I would not let him in on any other info if he is doing it alone...business is business.

Randy Scott
12-05-2001, 10:07 PM
Doesn't sound like that great of an employee or friend. Dudes got balls to do something like that. Maybe he needs to find out what it takes to run a business. Let him find out when he wants to come back to you and he's been replaced. There is no excuse for that type of crap going on, maybe stuff like that pisses me off more than the next guy but that is BS what he's doing and he would be hitting the bricks if I were you. Life is too short to put up with people like that. Find someone else.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-05-2001, 10:13 PM
Tell him see ya!!!!!!!!!!

Or go over his head since it is your company.

Looks like we all are giving you good hint to say "GOOD BYE" to him.

crazygator
12-05-2001, 11:28 PM
Well, since he was bold enough to offer a price I would not help with any numbers and let him do it all. This will teach him a lesson and not involve you with the job that apparantly he didnt want your help with anyway.

bubble boy
12-06-2001, 11:32 AM
crazy gator is right-let him find out himself why 11 an hour wont work.

its his problem.

parkwest
12-06-2001, 12:14 PM
Ask him where the job is so you can look at it. Then just be a better salesman than him.

As far as giving him info: I don't even tell my wife what goes on behind the scenes in my businesses for fear of her giving out free info to a potential customer.

KerryB
12-06-2001, 01:52 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I started reading the posts to this thread and saw that P word again, sent chills down my spine.
Anyway, if he is that important to you and your business that you cannot live without him, I suggest you let him do all the guestimates and all the work himself. That alone should teach him a lesson. Also you should explain to him what he did wrong.
If you can do without him, which I highly suggest you do before he tarnishes your company and you rep., let him do all of the above then fire him.
I hope I am not being hypocritical because I do enjoy shareing information with you guys and learning from you but in a case like this I think a hard earned lesson is in order.
Who knows maybe he can appologise to the cust. and get you the job at your price.

65hoss
12-06-2001, 03:18 PM
If you don't have any work for him then he is just doing some side work for himself. But, you better make sure your name isn't in this. Which means you better not give advice or anything. Or you will be liable.

With that said, since your in this biz and he knows it, he should have had them contact you. If he has the balls to do this now, wait until he decides to get some of your other customers to let him do things for them. Maybe he will buy a mower and cut them cheaper too.

In a way, this makes him in direct competition with you. I think I would close up the info, close up the clients and cut him loose. Better send Christmas cards to all your clients and keep in contact with them thru the winter to make sure he doesn't try to steal them.

SprinklerGuy
12-06-2001, 04:44 PM
Anyway winter is coming on and I have been struggling to keep work up for us and most of it I could do alone.

He did you a favor, find another guy for next season. Simple.

HOWARD JONES
12-06-2001, 05:14 PM
You stated he is a good worker, valuable employee and a friend - you are short on work - you also stated you could do most of your work without him right now - what's wrong with him doing this side job, off your payroll and not using your company name? Then, when this job is over, you should talk to him about it - did he lowball, cut you out, steal a customer, etc - bring up the issues that are bothering you and decide if this was a good thing, a lesson for both of you, or time to split up.

awm
12-06-2001, 05:47 PM
sounds like he may be letting u know hes going to work for someone else at 11 per hr. mabe he is just letting u know u dont have to sweat keeping work for him to do. mabe i missed something . but thats my first impression.

Runner
12-06-2001, 08:17 PM
That's kind of how I interpreted it, too. If the guy is auto mechanic, or works at a body shop, are you going to fire him for changing a motor or painting a car for a friend of his? No biggy, let him do it, and I don't feel this justifies any fear of him "stealing" work from you. A guys gotta make a living. Ask yourself this, if he went out and sold a job, would you be willing to cut him in on a small certain percentage to get you work that you wouldn't have normally even had?

cantoo
12-06-2001, 10:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay this worker? You have insurance, tools and equipment and pay his wages which I am sure all add up to a lot more than $11.00.
He prices a job out at $11.00 per hour,, who's equipment is he going to use? He'll learn real quick on his own, will be a good lesson.

Ric
12-07-2001, 07:54 AM
Are you a man or a mouse??? let this guy gooooo. He is not your friend and has no care about you. Yes he is a good worker and might be hard to replace. Yes you might lose some business because you don't have a good helper right now. Yes you have just lost a friend or was he? You must look at the long run. Like and respect are two different things. Sure you like him and maybe he likes you. But he does not respect you or he would not of done this. When it comes to business you don't have to like the people you do business with (It does help alot). But you darn sure have to respect them. Business is business. Friends are friends.

Make friends of those you do business with. DO NOT make business with those you are friends with. My .02

VLM
12-07-2001, 07:37 PM
Just another fine example of why you should obey the Ten Commandments of Lawn Service:

1. Thou shalt not employ thine own friend.

As for commandments 2 through 9, see #1.

scagman
12-08-2001, 06:24 AM
Wow I almost feel like im the guy your all replying to one year ago I (18) started working for lawn service with o exp. as time went by i was noticing how much he was making so i started mowing on the side with my 69 ford ,yard machine 21 mower,craftsmen blower and homelite trimmer making an extra 500 a month i even used his computer to bill my few clients his wife didnt like this but he didnt mind as long as i worked as hard showed up on time it was no big deal then winter hit i got layed off went to work for a golf course picked up some exp. quit before spring hit got togeather some flyers and ended up maintaining 40 lawns this summer were still very good friends and work togeather on big jobs now i got a new truck trailer and equip and headed straight to the top I dont see anything wrong with what this guys doing its a friend of friend, work is about done so he needs the cash its not like it was your potential customer

Green Care
12-08-2001, 10:04 AM
Well, Daren

I suggest you go directly to the search key on this.
We have plenty there about allowing your friends to work for you . ( Just type in hirng friends).

prairie
12-10-2001, 03:03 PM
I've ran into this a couple of times. There are two ways you can look at this. One being he is trying to underplay you and get jobs on his own. If that is the case watch him fall flat on his face!
Two he is going to do a great job and needs some assistance from you(maybe). I this is a big job he can"t do it by himself. There is no way. With this in mind you can use this as an adver. and get referrels from this job. Think of it as FREE publicity w/o all the headach of your daily activities..

God Speed, Prairie

65hoss
12-10-2001, 03:55 PM
OK, OK. You've had enough time to make a decision and act on it by now. So what did you decide to do?

sheppard
12-10-2001, 07:52 PM
Look him straight in the eye and congradulate him on starting his new business. Then wish him all the best. Advise him if he needs some consulting help or actual sweating work then your special rate for him would be $45.00 an hlours.

Cordially,
Sheppard

DSL DOC
12-10-2001, 08:20 PM
Runner I am a professional mechanic and i would be fired in a heart beat goin behind bosses back

:eek:

groundsguy1970
12-10-2001, 09:06 PM
:rolleyes: So What Cha' Gonna' Do? :rolleyes: