PDA

View Full Version : Why would you even think of?????

Frue
04-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Getting in this business,
1. More competition every year
2. As long as you are 20% cheaper for commercial you can have it
3. 4.00 a gallon right around the corner
4. if your mower breaks down its a 2 week wait to get it back
5. Mower prices are going thru the roof
6. you lose accounts to 5 dollar cheaper guys
7. if it dries out your screwed, if it rains to much well you screwed!

Just having some fun guys for the first time in 11 years I lost 10 percent of my business. But I have picked up some to cover the loss. I guess my question is that we all know the new guys who dont know how to price wont last long but they leave a legacy that says someone will cut my lawn for this price.
So why do you want this field of work? No if I want to leave the job early I can because you will have to make it up tomorrow. Your so called time is not your time.....

procut
04-20-2008, 08:25 PM
For some "extra money" LOL

F3Nelson
04-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Ive been out of the business for 7 years, getting back in because I lost my other job.

Why is there all this doom and gloom, you all are really bringing me down, if you dont like it, get the F out of the business, I did!

I am trying to keep an upbeat attitude about starting from scratch, but all I hear is oh why oh why are we doing this! Then DONT and stop making me worry about it..............That is all!

Oh, the name of my company now is

Lowball Lawnmowers

We dont carry no insurance so you are screwed if Jimmy bob gets hurt on your property but we will mow it for 5 bucks........(scratches self and spits tobacky) through my one and only brushed toof!

If you gotta wait two fuggin weeks for service you need to find you a "small" guy that will cater to you like I did last time, I could go in anytime, and he would drop everything to fix whatever I had. Just a thought

davis45
04-20-2008, 09:04 PM
I never get worried about it untill i start reading some comments on this site. Today I noticed i have grown to twice the size I was last year. Just today, a sunday, I picked up 3 new accounts and one weed control/fert account.

AL Inc
04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, you've got to keep a positive attitude or you'll drive yourself nuts. It does get aggravating when I think I'm working too cheap and people are still telling me I'm more expensive than my competition. I'll tell people flat out I'm more expensive, some still go with me, others don't. I still believe most people know they get what they pay for...
I really can't worry too much what my competition is charging, there will always be the price shoppers who keep the low-end landscapers working, I don't care what they do. And as for commercial, I don't even bother, the prices in that arena are ridiculously low.
As for fuel, that is what it is, you've got to raise prices to survive. I should add that you need to find another dealer to do your repairs! My repairs are mostly done same day or at the worst, next day. I'm loyal to them and don't price shop, and they treat me right. I know that equipment is going up, I run older Scag walk-behinds, and usually replace my 52" Stander every 3-4 years.

I know you are just venting Frue, I ask myself the same question several times a year!:waving:

Frue
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah, you've got to keep a positive attitude or you'll drive yourself nuts. It does get aggravating when I think I'm working too cheap and people are still telling me I'm more expensive than my competition. I'll tell people flat out I'm more expensive, some still go with me, others don't. I still believe most people know they get what they pay for...
I really can't worry too much what my competition is charging, there will always be the price shoppers who keep the low-end landscapers working, I don't care what they do. And as for commercial, I don't even bother, the prices in that arena are ridiculously low.
As for fuel, that is what it is, you've got to raise prices to survive. I should add that you need to find another dealer to do your repairs! My repairs are mostly done same day or at the worst, next day. I'm loyal to them and don't price shop, and they treat me right. I know that equipment is going up, I run older Scag walk-behinds, and usually replace my 52" Stander every 3-4 years.

I know you are just venting Frue, I ask myself the same question several times a year!:waving:

good post.

S man
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Because I like buying equipment. :rolleyes::dizzy::dizzy::laugh:

topsites
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Well Johnny, because agriculturally speaking it still always works out in terms of the compromise... But I do agree, I think too many jump into this like "huhuhu I'ma make some beer money" type of thing... Then again you look at statistics, they say that 90% of ALL businesses don't make it to 5 years, so you gotta figure it happens in every single line of work you and I can think of, I figure.

But in the end it don't matter none anyhow, heaven, hell, you know, 70 or 80 years here on this earth and what you do and how far you get, who cares? We get our panties all bunched up in this rat race and we tend to forget some basics to say the least... There's a lot more to it, the business certainly does resemble farming, if that makes any sense, it relates a lot to the agricultural end of things.

The bits and the pieces, you know it all connects, soul, mind, body, money, labor, and all of that and lots more, all of it connects in ways I can't even begin to explain but connect it does... And so we work, to see these connections and attempt in our own way to find ourselves somehow on some kind of receiving end thou at times it's more like we take or get it coming and going, you can't win here on this earth but I do think what comes next is far more important, if only for myself.

And that's how those of us, such as you and I, at least I suspect, have chosen to eke out our puny existence for yet one more day, you do see this logic.

Peace

Juan_Deere
04-20-2008, 09:25 PM
If you lose some accounts, then get more to replace them. Have you really lost any accounts?

PerfectEarth
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I really can't worry too much what my competition is charging, there will always be the price shoppers who keep the low-end landscapers working, I don't care what they do.

Exactly. I agree 100%

lawnprosteveo
04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Getting in this business,
1. More competition every year
2. As long as you are 20% cheaper for commercial you can have it
3. 4.00 a gallon right around the corner
4. if your mower breaks down its a 2 week wait to get it back
5. Mower prices are going thru the roof
6. you lose accounts to 5 dollar cheaper guys
7. if it dries out your screwed, if it rains to much well you screwed!

I think a guy can make it in this business even in these tougher conditions. I do think you have to stay really lean and stick to your niche.

The yards I do are little and weed infested. But they pay like a slot machine, they are wicked loyal to me and other lco's arent coming after them.

I could be double the size I am..but then I would incur all the costs and problems that go with it. By staying small and lean...running older (but nice) stuff, I have an edge over the guys with all the overhead.

So, yes, I think its still a good business...just tougher.

Frue
04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Well Johnny, because agriculturally speaking it still always works out in terms of the compromise... But I do agree, I think too many jump into this like "huhuhu I'ma make some beer money" type of thing... Then again you look at statistics, they say that 90% of ALL businesses don't make it to 5 years, so you gotta figure it happens in every single line of work you and I can think of, I figure.

But in the end it don't matter none anyhow, heaven, hell, you know, 70 or 80 years here on this earth and what you do and how far you get, who cares? We get our panties all bunched up in this rat race and we tend to forget some basics to say the least... There's a lot more to it, the business certainly does resemble farming, if that makes any sense, it relates a lot to the agricultural end of things.

The bits and the pieces, you know it all connects, soul, mind, body, money, labor, and all of that and lots more, all of it connects in ways I can't even begin to explain but connect it does... And so we work, to see these connections and attempt in our own way to find ourselves somehow on some kind of receiving end thou at times it's more like we take or get it coming and going, you can't win here on this earth but I do think what comes next is far more important, if only for myself.

And that's how those of us, such as you and I, at least I suspect, have chosen to eke out our puny existence for yet one more day, you do see this logic.

Peace

There it is a man of wisdom you wrote what I was thinking as me and my family sat in church today. in 90 years it will not matter that joe smo beat me out by 5 bucks. Thanks topsite for your wisdom....