PDA

View Full Version : How are you splitting your tick control?

shovelracer
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I was reading about some people that apply multiple applications of tick control. We currently run allectus for our customers looking for grub and tick, but Ive had a few customers request additional tick apps probably going to use crosscheck. I was wondering how you are splitting them up if you are only allowed 0.2lb/1000 of bifenthrin per year. I found one person that applied 3 blanket apps. If you are putting down 0.07lb/1000 per app is it really going to be effective?

humble1
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM
i do three apps of bifenthrin .069 AI 5lbs per K wood edge
and i do 3 aps of cyfluthrin via backpack wood edge up to 6ft off ground

shovelracer
04-20-2008, 11:50 PM
So you are just doing perimeter? What if you are talking about 1-2 acre lots. A tick brought in could reproduce and never see treatment. I guess my question is am I better doing less apps at a higher rate or 3 apps at 0.06. Will 0.06 be effective enough. It my understanding that control is no more than 5-6 weeks.

garydale
04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I would do multible appl,s at lower rate. Alternate with anothjer product occasionally.

humble1
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
So you are just doing perimeter? What if you are talking about 1-2 acre lots. A tick brought in could reproduce and never see treatment. I guess my question is am I better doing less apps at a higher rate or 3 apps at 0.06. Will 0.06 be effective enough. It my understanding that control is no more than 5-6 weeks.

granular bifenthrin is like 8 weeks residual.
I do 12-15 into the woods, 12-15ft onto the lawn w/ granular, then i spray the edge 6 ft up. Ticks like it moist and stay on the edges leaves etc. The larvae get picked up by mice or other close to ground animals. They need a blood meal to turn to nymphs. So where are mice etc? Usually in walls, under decks, sheds, they stay close to areas they can hide from predators, leaf litter long grass. Thats where you are going to have a lot of ticks. Out in the middles of a lawn they would dry up and die. Not to say there are none that fall off a dog, or squirell.