PDA

View Full Version : Lights casting hues

daveyo
04-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I installed a 50w halogen on the corner of my house and its an uplight. It obviously shines up to the brick to the soffit. My question is could it cast a blue hue due to being slightly near a blue spruce about 2' tall?

Pro-Scapes
04-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I installed a 50w halogen on the corner of my house and its an uplight. It obviously shines up to the brick to the soffit. My question is could it cast a blue hue due to being slightly near a blue spruce about 2' tall?

You dont mention what brand of lamp it is. Whats the voltage reading ? WOW 50w on a house??? Is it 3 or 4 stories tall ?

I use 20 and 35w on house and sometimes even 10w

Chris J
04-20-2008, 11:26 PM
DaveyO, could you post a pic of your home so we could help you better? I agree that 50w is way too much for the normal application. Light will be absorbed by darker colour (how the heck do you spell colour?), but unless this is a 2-3 story home built with dark brick, there is no need for the 50w lamp. I'll look forward to your response, but I'm more interested in how to spell Colour? (my spell check doesn't even pick it up?)
:confused:

daveyo
04-20-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't do lighting, I do landscape design, installs and maintenance so I don't know anything about it. I used home depot 600w transformer and added 6 lights (home depot) each 50w that came in the box with the housing. My neighbors lighting is much brighter so I don't think its over kill, but I'm not a lighting guy. It does what I want, accents the landscape but it needs to be tweaked. My question is can it cause hues. It's not coming from the housing if thats what your getting at. I attached a picture, do you see the uplight that actually casts a shadow of the light grill (not adjusted yet) thats the one, any input is appreciated.

Chris I just saw your post I hope this helps I have a few more pics if needed, thanks.

Pro-Scapes
04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
im willing to bet your wiring techniques and voltage is WAY off expecially with that kinda load.

I think if you obtained some quality lamps and make sure the voltage is between 10.8 and 11.8 or so you would be fine with a 35w lamp I am also thinking you have your lights placed way to close to the house. Try backing them off a bit to about the 8-18 inch range. Hard to see in the pics but it looks like your right on the house with them almost. What kind of lights are thoes ?

You may actually swap in 35w lamps and get a better output. How did you wire it ? Just chain em along or did you loop it ? with 300w on there I would think your way way off on your amperage and your voltage.

Davey at this point I think you would be realllllly good off since your not licensed for lighting to hook up with a good lighting guy. You could probably get a nice refferal program going and have him install for your clients as well. It will make your landscapes look that much better too.

Ohh and FYI 6 lights on a house your size isnt near enough. Not trying to knock ya just trying to help.

Chris you been reading tooo many canadian posts... its COLOR

daveyo
04-21-2008, 08:39 AM
That is a beautiful home daveyo! I'm truly sorry for you that you don't understan0d, or can not afford professional lighting., Maybe next time?

Not quite sure what type of grammar "understan0d" & "lighting.," is Chris but I'm sure you come across very professional to your clients, lol. Oh, Chris you should see the inside!

Proscapes, thanks for the info. Here's the scoop, my good friend has been an electrician for 40+ years him and his son own the company. He does all of my lighting for me because he really is retired now. Although he'll still oversees the larger projects. Hence, while I was attempting the lighting he was on his own project. He'll be over this week soon to straighten this out. I'm guessing my question can't be answered here so I'll just wait for him.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
DaveyO, could you post a pic of your home so we could help you better? I agree that 50w is way too much for the normal application. Light will be absorbed by darker colour (how the heck do you spell colour?), but unless this is a 2-3 story home built with dark brick, there is no need for the 50w lamp. I'll look forward to your response, but I'm more interested in how to spell Colour? (my spell check doesn't even pick it up?)
:confused:

Around here it is COLOUR... just as the Queen would have it spelled... down where you are I think they prefer Color.:laugh:

Lite4
04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
you will not get any blue hues from a spruce. The needles are not translucent, so no worries about carrying light through. All you will have is shadowing.

daveyo
04-21-2008, 10:43 AM
you will not get any blue hues from a spruce. The needles are not translucent, so no worries about carrying light through. All you will have is shadowing.

AHHH, finally and thats exactly what I thought. The the needles are not translucent. thanks

NiteTymeIlluminations
04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll take a stab at the color issue which is what the question was about. I'm thinking you are getting the blue hue solely from the fact that suddenly you have a slightly yellowish color coming from the lights and just from the suddent contrast the rest of the house is seeming blue. Its like the fact that if you have a 3000 kelvin lamp in a light it doesn't look that bad but if you have a 2600 kelvin lamp next to it suddenly it looks bluish.

The only other conclusion would be that the lights have some sort of convexness to the lens and its bending the light waves creating a rainbow effect on your house and for some weird reason you are only getting the blue hues.

extlights
04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
What kind of bulb is it? You mentioned that it was a 50w halogen but do you know the brand? The reason I ask is this.....last year I was in a pinch and needed a bulb until my stock came in. I was pretty far from the shop so I went to Home cheapo and the only thing they had was a malibu bulb that would work. Long story short, that particular bulb gave off a blue-ish hue similar to what you are talking about. Once I put in a good bulb it looked good. Maybe it's possible that you're having the same problem....try changing out the bulb and see what happens.

daveyo
04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
What kind of bulb is it? You mentioned that it was a 50w halogen but do you know the brand? The reason I ask is this.....last year I was in a pinch and needed a bulb until my stock came in. I was pretty far from the shop so I went to Home cheapo and the only thing they had was a malibu bulb that would work. Long story short, that particular bulb gave off a blue-ish hue similar to what you are talking about. Once I put in a good bulb it looked good. Maybe it's possible that you're having the same problem....try changing out the bulb and see what happens.

No kidding, it is a Malibu bulb halogen. I'll do that thanks.