PDA

View Full Version : Good or Bad Years for Diesel Pickup

Likestomow
12-05-2001, 10:02 PM
I want to find a good ¾ ton diesel pickup for around $10,000, and it doesn’t have to be a 4x4. I am wondering which years are good ones and which are bad ones. I was thinking first of a Ford, and second of a Dodge.

a1 lawncare
12-06-2001, 09:33 PM
i have owned 3 dodges, 96, 99, 01, of all i think the 96 has been the best truck, truck got good mileage, and the only problems i had were brakes, they seem a little weak for my likeing, my 01 has 4wheel disc and this seems to be a improvement, time will tell.. others on this board will , i think, tell you the same, go with the 12 valve cummins if you can, you should be able to find a great truck for 10k

good luck on your search, keith

oh yea i sold the 96 with 186k miles on it and no major problems

Shady Brook
12-09-2001, 10:16 PM
If you get a Ford, get a f350 4x4. That way you get a solid front axle, that way you do not have to deal with front end sag like me. I have a Powerstroke, and an old 6.9. I don't know if you will find to many Powerstrokes in that price range, but I really like that engine. Watch the 7.3 pre powerstroke, make sure you have service reccords, and that they were using coolant conditioner or else you may have cavitation problems. The 6.9 is pretty safe even if addative was not used due to thicker walls. 6.9 has very little power unless turbo'd, but is a pretty reliable engine. I think the cummins is a super engine, it is only a matter of will the body of the truck be around as long as the engine. I would avoid Chevy diesels, pretty light duty, and due not seem to live as long, the 6.2 may be an exception, but has very little power. I am no diesel expert, but have done quite a bit of research. I envy you, it is fun shopping :)

Jay