PDA

View Full Version : Bed Edging With Irrigation Systems

GravelyGuy
04-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Do you guys still use a bed edger on properties with irrigation systems or do you just go around and do them with a shovel?

Is it unresonable to ask the customer to get the lines marked to have this done? I have no idea how the lines run for these things, so I'm nervous about using one on my properties with irrigation systems.

Thanks...

Stillwater
04-21-2008, 02:09 AM
what are you useing for a edger? stick or shaper?

AI Inc
04-21-2008, 05:18 AM
It is almost impossable to mark a zone line.

Stillwater
04-21-2008, 06:08 AM
It is almost impossable to mark a zone line.

unless the installers placed a tracer line on the pipe during install,..... but your right ya, got a better chance of winning the lottery than that being done....

Trenchblade
04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
You should check out the Trenchblade. It will give you a trench for the bed line that is only 2 inches deep and you should not hit the irrigation line, unless it is buried way to shallow.

sbvfd592
04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
whats the worst that happens you have to replace a head maybe repair a line 20 bucks if you have a lot of edging to do.....................

larryinalabama
04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Trenchblade is a good solution. My Brown bed edger will go right through sprinklers wires crack side walks and wont miss a beat. If you break a sprinkler and dont know it that tends to creat problems

Stillwater
04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Trenchblade is a good solution. My Brown bed edger will go right through sprinklers wires crack side walks and wont miss a beat. If you break a sprinkler and dont know it that tends to creat problems

Ya those are nice

GravelyGuy
04-21-2008, 10:30 PM
It figures I have a FC55 Edger so the trenchblade won't work for me. I don't know how to replace a sprinkler head. I've been careful around these things for years so that I never have to mess with them. How hard is it if you accidentally hit one?

Thanks...

Stillwater
04-22-2008, 12:56 AM
easy Take a look at one its not a big deal if you trash one

jlouki01
04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Get your spades out. It adds 3 hours onto a regular 10 yard mulch job for us but we do it that way for a couple of reasons. With a brown edger it will destroy anything in it's path. At least with a shovel if you hit a head of a line you might notice it and be able to get it corrected. Instead of 3 months down the rd in July when they fire up the system.

J

GravelyGuy
04-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I just figured I would let you guys know what has been working well for the this season. I got tired of paying $55 a day to rent a bed edger and having to work around the rental schedule so I just took on set of tines off of my Mantis tiller and it works well. It's not as fast as the bed edgers, but it does work and you can't tell a difference if you do it right.

Carolina Cuts
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
what's your freeze line in Indiana? Up north in Jersey..... most irrigation I came across was way below the bed edger depth. Down here in SC the lines are 4-7 inches below sod. I nip the pipes all the time....:laugh: Couplers, pipes and glue on my truck at all times.