PDA

View Full Version : The edge of the mulch beds look like this...What Happened?

oOTurfmanoO
04-21-2008, 08:30 AM
It started last year, maybe mid-season. Initially I thought it was stress from trimminf so we skipped triumming the bed edges for a few weeks. It began by browning, then dying right off. Towards the end of the year it looked like the Bluegrass may be making a comeback.

Went to shine the place up last week and the areas around the beds were just shot. Nadda, nothing!

I have no ideas what the heck happened or how to solve it.

Any thoughts?

oOTurfmanoO
04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
To the top, bumpity bump bump

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Could be from where your guys were going around the trees on the Z and dragging the trire thus ripping the turf.

SSEnterprises
04-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Could be from where your guys were going around the trees on the Z and dragging the trire thus ripping the turf.

I agree, looks like turf damage from tires.

tamadrummer
04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Maybe compaction from running the mowers over those areas a little more and a bit slower than the other areas of the turf.

Looks like if you raked it out and sprinkled some decent starter fert and high grade compost/top soil it may fill back in.

You are going to need to be gentle with it though. Hopefully one of the Fert/Squirt gurus come on and have a little better idea but the area in front of the flower bed with the evergreen in it looks like it is sick but it could be turf tear damage as well but I don't totally buy it until it is confirmed by someone with a good bit more experience at diagnostics than me.

billslawn89
04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
was there anything sprayed around the plants/trees?

oOTurfmanoO
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Maybe round-up drift?

billslawn89
04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Looks like thats your answer. overspray does it all the time. edge around the dead turf and make the landscape bed bigger or re-seed. good luck!

Daner
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Looks like you were spraying round up In the mulch to kill the weeds last year...my vote goes for the round up

midatlantic grass
04-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Round-up spread out into the grass-I agree with some of the guys. Same thing happened to me before I realized more isn't always better!

GreenAssociates
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
My turf Health care guy looked at the pictures and he thinks it Round-up. extend those tree rings to the turf and tree dont complete for water.

Drew Gemma
01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
round up via wind drift or run off

LushGreenLawn
01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Round up typically does not kill from run-off. Round up translocates through the leaves of plants, but not through the roots. It kills the roots, because once it translocates into the leaf it circulates throughout the plant. It could be drift, but it could also be one of those kill everything for a year homeowner type herbicides. Think Round Up extended control. If it was something a professional would use, like Saraha or Peramitol, it would have probrably killed the tree also (although homeowner types can kill trees also).

The best thing to do would be to find out what was sprayed around the trees so you know what your dealing with. Whoever did the spraying should fix the issue. It was an off label spray to begin with if they sprayed the wrong chemical in the beds, or sprayed glysophate in the wind.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Two things come to my mind and they may be correct and may not be.
1. As mentioned the tires on the mower could be tearing the turf.
2. Also could be the Fert. on the tree, or a chemical that the tree may be releasing

DLAWNS
01-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I know this thread is a little old, but I vote for roundup damage.

SNAPPER MAN
01-20-2009, 11:47 PM
In my opinion that has to be from dragging a tire while going around the tree to fast on the zero turn. I know I am guilty of doing this a couple times. The best way to avoid this is to trim about 12" around the tree with the trimmer when you edge it and then don't mow right up next to the tree.

paradise32258
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
im for the round up drift, then mower tearing it up after it was dead

BeautifulBlooms
01-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Looks more like herbicide damage, for the record this can happen two ways. Drift from wind (can happen with any brand). Generic roundup I have found can travel in the soil wheras real roundup is as solid as they come.

GreenAssociates
01-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Looking at it via picture its round-up drift. As stated earlier as the mowers spin around those trees, its going to destroy the dead turf.

DuallyVette
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Generic roundup I have found can travel in the soil wheras real roundup is as solid as they come.

I haven't found Real Round-up to be so rock solid. Long before generic round-up was allowed on the market, Round-up will run, when sprayed during cold seasons. The pictures were taken in Pennsylvania during April. Round-up also advertised using their product during lawn renovations. "You can reseed , (I think) a week after spraying." If you do a test plot, you will find that the sprayed area struggles to rebuild new turf.

02DURAMAX
01-25-2009, 03:03 AM
that was bad!..I vote round up..yes I know Its old

hseeder
01-25-2009, 05:55 AM
I agree looks like round up. first define your edge better, will serve for aesthetics as well as installation, also provide a guideline for your people. Stay away from the exact edge, the product will creep so to speak with application and then watering, either rain or sprinklers.

STRINGALATION
01-26-2009, 01:16 AM
first thing that came to mind was where is the edge then i thought hem burn

GracesLandscaping
01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
i agree with everything people have said... but i dont know how much rain you get in the area but the tree roots could be sucking up all the water... that happens alot around here but usually only on larger trees

FYS777
01-27-2009, 12:43 AM
, I am sorry but if you keep your edges properly edged you shouldn't have to use round up that close to the grass

Organic Guy
01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't know what happened to the beds but the tree is planted too deep!:nono:

4.3mudder
01-29-2009, 12:21 AM
I read up one time in a planters book that it's not good to have that mulch clow to the trunk. I'm guessing for termties, fungus, It was one of those ag books. Hmm.

The Elements Group
01-29-2009, 09:25 AM
why do ppl usertound-up as a staple? we use per-emerg and post emerg in all of our flower beds and tree rings. then hand pull the visible weeds when and if they come up. By implementing this method, damage to turf is minimal. if you use spot spaying as a technique, be sure that whom ever is spraying knows what the hay day they are doing and be sure to watch weather patterns!!!!!!!!!

FYS777
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I agree make sure of weather , before spraying , depends on what type of plants in beds, before you apply pre or post emergents study up on the plants some don't take well with these applications, but on these beds lookbe able to do.s pretty open to