PDA

View Full Version : I need to grease a tanaka trimmer gear case- question

clydesdale
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
The manual says a lithium grease. How do I clean out what is left of the current grease, brake cleaner? Is there any grease in particular to use or not to use. I hear it is bad to mix different greases and that they could react and separate. So, I want to clean this out right and put the right stuff back in the gear head.

Restrorob
04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
You may be opening a can of worms trying to clean all the old grease out, You have no way to re-pack the bearings. If over filled to try and pack the bearings could cause a problem as well, As long as you use the recommended type grease you should be just fine topping it off a little.

mcambrose
04-21-2008, 07:55 PM
I used tanaka's for about 8-10 years. Just put more grease in with the old grease. I have never had one to fail.

Breezmister
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
The manual says a lithium grease. How do I clean out what is left of the current grease, brake cleaner?

Don't use brake clean on the trimmer head, there are sealed bearings in there that you don't want to damage. What you are greasing are the gears. Depending on the gear head, it will take a 6 or 8 mm grease fitting. Just remove the bolt on the side of the head, put the right grease fitting in and then just give it a few ( 3 to 5 ) pumps of grease. Do this every 2 to 3 months depending on how hard you use the trimmer. The Tanaka gear head will out last the trimmer.
As for grease, any hi temp grease will do, Penzoil, Stens, this is what I use here in the shop.

Tanaka
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
The manual says a lithium grease. How do I clean out what is left of the current grease, brake cleaner? Is there any grease in particular to use or not to use. I hear it is bad to mix different greases and that they could react and separate. So, I want to clean this out right and put the right stuff back in the gear head.

A lithium based grease is used at the factory during assembly. Any good quality grease – petroleum or lithium based – will work just fine. You just need to clean out the majority of the grease. Whatever residual is left over won’t make any measurable difference. Mixing lubricants is never recommended, but I would have a greater fear that some of the cleaning solvent would be left behind (unless you plan to completely disassemble and clean in a tank), and cause any/all grease to be less than effective.

-MW