PDA

View Full Version : What is Best on Grassy Weeds...?

Lost Pine
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
There seems to be a lot of talk about Grassy Weeds here. As everyone know, they are a major pain in the A~~ !

Is there a herbicide that works well on all types of Grassy weeds..?

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah: glyphosate.

Marcos
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Be more specific about exactly what "grassy weed" you're talking about.

Fusilade II can handle quite a few of them....but from the timing of your blog (early spring), I'm betting you're talking about some weeds that aren't on the Fusilade II label.

Lost Pine
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Be more specific about exactly what "grassy weed" you're talking about.

Fusilade II can handle quite a few of them....but from the timing of your blog (early spring), I'm betting you're talking about some weeds that aren't on the Fusilade II label.

Mostly look like Foxtail, but most people on this site say it's too early for Foxtail...

Marcos
04-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Mostly look like Foxtail, but most people on this site say it's too early for Foxtail...

That's a really safe bet!

I'm also betting that you don't have a New Jersey pesticide license, am I right ?!?

Marcos
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM

Why don't you post a digital pic or two....try to get a regular distance and a "close-up" shot.

Lost Pine
04-22-2008, 06:50 AM
THank you for your help Marcos ! See Pic as requested. Pics are already here at the link below from last year ! LOL ! Let me know.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184880&highlight=foxtail

Marcos
04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
THank you for your help Marcos ! See Pic as requested. Pics are already here at the link below from last year ! LOL ! Let me know.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184880&highlight=foxtail

O.K....so this is all a "revamp" of a discussion that took place almost EXACTLY a year ago on this site, HUH ?!?

And you tried the dihydrogen-monoxide thing, and it didn't work ?
(kidding !!!) :laugh::laugh:

One more question before I guess :
Are these seedheads consistently coming up all over the yard; or just in "little patches" like the picture from spring 2007 you posted above ?

And you didn't answer my question about the pesticide licensing...
(I won't "tell"...I promise ! :rolleyes:)

Lost Pine
04-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Are these seedheads consistently coming up all over the yard; or just in "little patches" like the picture from spring 2007 you posted above ?

YES ! you've got it ! it miostly comes up in patches (small and large) all over the lawn....
What's your guess for getting rid of it...?

Marcos
04-23-2008, 04:04 PM

YES ! you've got it ! it miostly comes up in patches (small and large) all over the lawn....
What's your guess for getting rid of it...?

Still not certain...

Get down on down hands and knees if you will... and cut out a tiny little piece of this weedy area with a hand trowel or whatever...
Can you tell if the grassy-weed has a rhizomous-type root system... or not ?

And just wondering...:confused:
When you did your "spot seeding" work in 2006-2007 or whenever, did you use some type of cheap "hay" (instead of actual STRAW) from someplace ?

americanlawn
04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
It's not an annual. Looks similar to tall fescue.

Lost Pine
04-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Get down on down hands and knees if you will... and cut out a tiny little piece of this weedy area with a hand trowel or whatever...
Can you tell if the grassy-weed has a rhizomous-type root system... or not ?

OK ! Dug up a piece of it and it does have rhizomous type root system. As a matter of fact, the spot slowly get bigger every year ! What next ? :dizzy:

Joshuakwhit
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I agree with American lawn it is Fescue. Just got through cutting some on my last yard.

Lost Pine
04-27-2008, 06:58 AM
I agree with American lawn it is Fescue. Just got through cutting some on my last yard.

OK. Now that we have indentifed it, what do we use to get rid of it...?

Marcos
04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
It is not tall fescue!
:nono:

Here's a pic of a tall fescue seedhead from NCU State's website:

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/turfid/csPagedPdField.aspx?PlantID=FESAR

I'm convinced you've got some type of stupid hay growing in there...from someone being "cheap" :rolleyes: and using 'hay' instead of straw... when spot seeding.

Lost Pine
04-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Acually, this yard used to be a open field. I seeded the whole thing myself ! 10,000sqft. There was no hay or straw involved.

WildLake
04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
rhizomonous fescue?

I have a lawn that has a very similar problem. It disappears around mid may each year, then looks perfect. 5 years and still don't know exactly what it is.

Marcos
04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Acually, this yard used to be an open field.

Ding Ding Ding !!

Sherlock....I do believe I've uncovered a clue !!!