PDA

View Full Version : PPE Penalties

BocaChris
04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know the penalties in FL for not following PPE on the label?

LwnmwrMan22
04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Have you tried looking at the Department of Agriculture's website for FL??

I know for MN's Dept. of Ag., you can look up past fines.

Ric
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Have you tried looking at the Department of Agriculture's website for FL??

I know for MN's Dept. of Ag., you can look up past fines.

LwnmwrMan22

Florida doesn't list Fines any where I know of except for unlicensed Roundup applications. The Fine for unlicensed Roundup application is twice the cost of a License. But once again that is not written in stone. The Ag inspector writes a report which is reviewed by higher ups in Tallahassee who determine the fine. The amount depends on which side of the bed they got up on.

Chris

PPE is for your own safety, Wear it. However short sleeve shirts is the most over looked violation. I have never heard of anyone being gigged or even verbally warned about short sleeve shirts. Or Course read the Label for required PPE.

BTW You never replied about your Private applicators license?????? Since you took the test a while ago you should have the license by now with the words PRIVATE APPLICATOR on it. BY now you should know what license you have.

BocaChris
04-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Alright thanks Ric, Actually I failed the Lawn and Ornamental portion of the test by 1 question so i had to retake it should know if i passed on the 2nd of May.

Ric
04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Alright thanks Ric, Actually I failed the Lawn and Ornamental portion of the test by 1 question so i had to retake it should know if i passed on the 2nd of May.

Chris

The truth be told, I failed the contractor law test by a little more than 1 point on my first try. The contractor law test was for my irrigation and commercial landscape installation licenses, which I have since let expire.

Are you taking the L & O test in Ft Myers?????

Back to PPE. Most of today's labels don't call for respirators. Long pants, gloves and spray boots are the biggie the inspector looks for. Don't get caught wearing shorts and flip flops. When you pass the your certification, employee of your company can spray under your license if you are present(meaning On Island or in the general work area). If they aren't wearing proper PPE you can get gigged as their direct supervisor. Be sure those spraying Roundup are wearing long pants and shoes with soaks as per label. Long sleeve shirts per label are NOT what most all inspector will call a violation.

BocaChris
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Is kinda aggravating when you dont pass by that little. No, im taking the O & T test in Sarasota, closer to my home in Venice.

I appreciate the info on PPE, there is a guy right now that does the spraying and short sleeve shorts, shorts, leather shoes and leather gloves everyday.

Ric
04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Is kinda aggravating when you dont pass by that little. No, im taking the O & T test in Sarasota, closer to my home in Venice.

I appreciate the info on PPE, there is a guy right now that does the spraying and short sleeve shorts, shorts, leather shoes and leather gloves everyday.

Chris

At least with leather he is getting the advantage of slow release. According to the new fertilizer law, 50% must be slow release. What the heck he is at leasr compliant with the new fert law.

He will be the first to scream Law Suit if he get sick.

greendoctor
04-23-2008, 04:53 AM
Chris

At least with leather he is getting the advantage of slow release. According to the new fertilizer law, 50% must be slow release. What the heck he is at leasr compliant with the new fert law.

He will be the first to scream Law Suit if he get sick.

I see it here all the time too. "landscapers" and their employees spraying while wearing t shirts, leather shoes and no gloves. I can always tell a scrub from the mainland because he is wearing board shorts, leather shoes and nothing else. I do not care if it is only RoundUp. This is hardly the time or the place for people to be working on their tans or showing off their muscles.

BocaChris
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Ric, its always a good laugh when he doesnt wear the respirator and suit when he sprays lindane. I dont doubt he will scream law suit, but then again what will he be able to do if he doesnt obey the law.

Ric
04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Ric, its always a good laugh when he doesnt wear the respirator and suit when he sprays lindane. I dont doubt he will scream law suit, but then again what will he be able to do if he doesnt obey the law.

LINDANE???????

Chris

Lindane has been off market at least 5 or 6 years now. As the country cousin to Chlordane it is the best Palm Bore control ever made. I would love to get a hold of some lindane. I believe it is still legal to use up old inventory.

olive123
04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
not to make you jealous ric ....but i have a FULL jug of lindane.....:drinkup:

Ric
04-23-2008, 09:43 PM
not to make you jealous ric ....but i have a FULL jug of lindane.....:drinkup:

Olive buddy, friend of mine

We need to party at the Hard Rock on me. Just let me have half the jug.

humble1
04-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know the penalties in FL for not following PPE on the label?

Blindness-
cancer-
chemical burns
death:hammerhead:

BocaChris
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
I knew it went off the market, we have some not sure how much. Our current licensed spray guy doesnt use it very often which explains the loss of 3 canary island date palms over the last year :confused:

Ric
04-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I knew it went off the market, we have some not sure how much. Our current licensed spray guy doesnt use it very often which explains the loss of 3 canary island date palms over the last year :confused:

Chris

I always just poured Lindane into the Palm heart and got good control. No need to tank up. I just mixed it in a one gallon water jug. Merit will help as a preventive. There is a ag product labeled for nurseries called Dimethoate that can control Palm bores curative.

Ric
04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Chris

Do you know Josa from Arcadia?? (yea right there are a million Josa) He is in his 50's and always wears a Hat. He has a large lump just above his right eye. I believe he cuts grass for Boca Bay. He is a nice guy and I know all his family who are all Legal.

BocaChris
04-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Thats the way I learned how to treat palms, pouring it in the heart.

Nope, I dont know a Josa. We acutally have an all white crew except for 1 black guy. Maybe he works for Hazeltine? They are always out there working at residental properties