PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used this Iron product?

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I have a vendor peddling me the following:

FEATURE PROFESSIONAL SOLUBLE MICROGRANULAR MICRONUTRIENT. (5# bag)

It's made by Loveland Products, Inc.

4% Mg
4% Fe (Chelated)
2% Mn
1% Zn (Chelated)

http://www.uap.com/profprod/index.cfm?cid=7505,7722&&categoryid=350&pid=27803&pagenavactive=1

There's no EPA #.

I bought 1 bag to try, but it's too early to tell if it does its job, so I'm wondering if anyone else can vouch for it or not.

Thanks.

LawnTamer
04-21-2008, 08:48 PM
My brother-in-law is trying it, I'll let you know what he finds.:laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Soooooooooooo helpful, brother.

Marcos
04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
So there's no working label or MSDS sheet for this product...and yet the vendor is trying to sell it to you NOW ?!?

NOT a smart move on his part!

He's setting himself up for a liability claim...or worse...by "jumping the gun" and selling this product before he's supposed to.

All that would need to happen, would be something like :

a) product got applied to lawn and caused staining on newer concrete surfaces, resulting in a lawsuit being filed against you.
How could have you have known it WASN'T (a less-apt to stain) iron sucrate product... for sure, if you didn't have a legitimate label to verify it ?!?

b) exposure to skin on some little kid's bare feet, after walking on treated sidewalk at one of your residential job sites, caused mysterious 'peeling', and you didn't have MSDS or label to back you up when the medical people, and/or the UT pesticide agent came calling later :cry::cry:.

greendoctor
04-22-2008, 02:38 AM
I use Feature. It is very good for both turf and ornamentals in my location. Easy to mix and completely compatible even with 20-20-20. Many liquid iron products will form sludge if tank mixed with solutions containing P or Ca. This product differentiates me from many, if not all of the LCO's here in Hawaii. I use it to promote deep green color in turf and vibrant, nonchlorotic shrubs. Feature+ urea + potassium nitrate is the base of my monthly turf fertilizer application. You will notice a big difference in the health of the turf if there are micronutrient issues.

Ric
04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I use Feature. It is very good for both turf and ornamentals in my location. Easy to mix and completely compatible even with 20-20-20. Many liquid iron products will form sludge if tank mixed with solutions containing P or Ca. This product differentiates me from many, if not all of the LCO's here in Hawaii. I use it to promote deep green color in turf and vibrant, nonchlorotic shrubs. Feature+ urea + potassium nitrate is the base of my monthly turf fertilizer application. You will notice a big difference in the health of the turf if there are micronutrient issues.

Yo

I will second the Greendoctor on shrubs. I have found, Mixed @ 3 lbs per 100 gallon it does not stain or is extremely low staining the same as 20-20-20 is low staining. At 6 lbs per 100 gallons it does stain. I use other Micro sources for lawns that do stain because I get better response.

tyaroch
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think micro nutrients like these are not terribly important to turf growth.

Ric
04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't think micro nutrients like these are not terribly important to turf growth.

tyaroch

Thank you for re-enforcing my opinion that most people in this business don't have a clue.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
To RIC and GREENDOCTOR:

While I know that it's apples to oranges considering our service areas... as far as turf goes, the application rate is .75 - 1 oz/M. I am planning to run it at the lighter rate (2#/acre equivalent). Will I see the color change I need? Or should I run the heavier rate to produce the desired effect?

Ric
04-22-2008, 08:15 PM
To RIC and GREENDOCTOR:

While I know that it's apples to oranges considering our service areas... as far as turf goes, the application rate is .75 - 1 oz/M. I am planning to run it at the lighter rate (2#/acre equivalent). Will I see the color change I need? Or should I run the heavier rate to produce the desired effect?

Whoopass

I pass, I don't use Feature on turf grass, only ornamental plants.

After years experimenting, I use a cocktail of minor elements that stain concrete but give one heck of a dark green. Just today a customer ask me not to make her yard so dark green. She has been hassled by the water police for over watering. She is only watering once a week and then only 15 minutes a zone.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-23-2008, 12:31 AM
I use a cocktail of minor elements that stain concrete but give one heck of a dark green.

Care to share your knowledge with someone a long ways off from your service area? :)

greendoctor
04-23-2008, 03:31 AM
I use the highest label rate on the Feature and have doubled on that if it is the first time I am applying to the lawn. At one tme, I used to use 8 oz ferrous sulfate, 1/2 oz zinc sulfate, and 8 oz magnesium sulfate + 1 lb urea + 1/2 lb potassium nitrate. Lawns would turn an unearthly shade of green on this mix, but sidewalks, house siding, fences, as well as my jeans and shirt were turned orange brown. Not to mention the hassle of having to keep all of the individual components in inventory and put them into solution. Ferrous sulfate is a pain to dissolve.

Ric
04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Care to share your knowledge with someone a long ways off from your service area? :)

Whoopass

Do I care to give out my Custom Blend??????

No

Ric
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
*trucewhiteflag*I use the highest label rate on the Feature and have doubled on that if it is the first time I am applying to the lawn. At one tme, I used to use 8 oz ferrous sulfate, 1/2 oz zinc sulfate, and 8 oz magnesium sulfate + 1 lb urea + 1/2 lb potassium nitrate. Lawns would turn an unearthly shade of green on this mix, but sidewalks, house siding, fences, as well as my jeans and shirt were turned orange brown. Not to mention the hassle of having to keep all of the individual components in inventory and put them into solution. Ferrous sulfate is a pain to dissolve.

Green

I got thinking about your above post today while spraying today. I actually almost wet myself laughing so hard to myself. If my customers were watching, they might think I was on drugs. You must be one wild sprayer in strong wind to cover your self and the house with stain. :dizzy:

BTW Looking at your above cocktail, I would think you would of turned the lawn BLACK.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Do I care to give out my Custom Blend??????

Hmmmm. I guess if you're gonna capitalize Custom Blend...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

lawnguy26
04-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Ammonium sulfate, ferrous sulfate and techmangam with a wetting agent. Dark green everytime. :drinkup:

mngrassguy
04-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Great stuff to use durring the hot part of summer on cool season grasses. Never tried this time of year though.

Ric
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Ammonium sulfate, ferrous sulfate and techmangam with a wetting agent. Dark green everytime. :drinkup:

Lawnguy

Don't look for your pump or plumbing to last a long time using ferrous sulfate and techmangam. It is like sand blasting your pump from the inside out. There are other ways to get the same rich dark green. You're using very old chemistry, but it does work.

LwnmwrMan22
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Just thought you guys farther south would like to know us northern guys are still pretty much sitting on our hands, twiddling our thumbs while doing so.

Yesterday morning, got up at 4:30 and the temp was 22 degrees. Mother Nature's crabgrass control.

So for all of you thinking about starting or have started round 2... just think of us, with pallets of fertilizer waiting.... waiting for at least 1 more 70 degree day.

We've had 2 since October 15th. The next 3 days are rain and 54.

By next Tuesday, we're looking at a high of 64, lows still in the upper 30s, lower 40s.

At least we're not having to worry about double cutting the grass before we spread the pre-emergent.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Ha. It's 3pm here and I just got home... because I got snowed out. This is ridiculous.

mngrassguy
04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Bummer, UT today MN tomorrow!!!

lawnguy26
04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Lawnguy

Don't look for your pump or plumbing to last a long time using ferrous sulfate and techmangam. It is like sand blasting your pump from the inside out. There are other ways to get the same rich dark green. You're using very old chemistry, but it does work.

Yes I've heard those products are harsh on the pumps but I do break them down through a very fine screen. And you said the key words..it works. We can have a lot of chlorosis problems hear during the rainy season. Other iron mixes have failed to pull out the chlorosis for me in the past and I hate respraying lawns. Last year I had to respray a 3/4 acre property for free in the middle of July because the 4-4-5 Lesco blend didn't even touch the chlorosis. :cry: The sulfate blend has never failed me.

I do have a couple different mixes to try this summer that do not include the ferrous sulfate and techmangam. And yes they will be tested on smaller lawns. :hammerhead:

Ric
05-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes I've heard those products are harsh on the pumps but I do break them down through a very fine screen. And you said the key words..it works. We can have a lot of chlorosis problems hear during the rainy season. Other iron mixes have failed to pull out the chlorosis for me in the past and I hate respraying lawns. Last year I had to respray a 3/4 acre property for free in the middle of July because the 4-4-5 Lesco blend didn't even touch the chlorosis. :cry: The sulfate blend has never failed me.

I do have a couple different mixes to try this summer that do not include the ferrous sulfate and techmangam. And yes they will be tested on smaller lawns. :hammerhead:

Lawnguy

At the price of your blend, you can afford replacement pumps. But by adding SOP to your mix @ at least 1/2 lb per thousand you may develop some roots and not have to fight the lawns so hard. I am a believer in 1 to 1 ratio N to K and go 1 to 3 in the rainy season cutting back on N and increasing K. My goal is a health turf not just color.

Bcb27101
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Feature is a nice product. You may want to consider another product from Millers called Microplex. Microplex has a better micro package than Feature that also includes Boron and does not stain. Microplex also has lower rates than Feature.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Feature is a nice product. You may want to consider another product from Millers called Microplex. Microplex has a better micro package than Feature that also includes Boron and does not stain. Microplex also has lower rates than Feature.

Hey, thanks - that's great info! I'll check with my supplier and see if that's something he can get his hands on.

greendoctor
05-02-2008, 05:23 AM

Boron is good if the soil is low. I usually get enough boron from Peters 30-10-10. Otherwise I am careful about that element. It is easy to overdo it and hard to reverse.

lawnguy26
05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Lawnguy

At the price of your blend, you can afford replacement pumps. But by adding SOP to your mix @ at least 1/2 lb per thousand you may develop some roots and not have to fight the lawns so hard. I am a believer in 1 to 1 ratio N to K and go 1 to 3 in the rainy season cutting back on N and increasing K. My goal is a health turf not just color.

Yes I agree. I was just talking about a mix that would green up a lawn. I am putting down a 1 to 2 ratio this month and will be using less and less N as the temps warm. My biggest issue right now is chinchbugs so I'm going to try this year to use very little N through the summer and a good micro nutrient package for color. As well as heavy K for good root developement.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
This may be apples to oranges, but how can you avoid the N? The grass here is mowed at 3" long - and if you neglect the N, you'll get matting and heavy wear and tear from kids, foot traffic, dogs, etc. Just curious if this is a problem for you?

I'd like to experiment. A bag of N, a bag of K, a bag of Fe = all around the same price... so I can mix and match without it really changing my bottom line...

lawnguy26
05-14-2008, 10:13 PM
This may be apples to oranges, but how can you avoid the N? The grass here is mowed at 3" long - and if you neglect the N, you'll get matting and heavy wear and tear from kids, foot traffic, dogs, etc. Just curious if this is a problem for you?

I'd like to experiment. A bag of N, a bag of K, a bag of Fe = all around the same price... so I can mix and match without it really changing my bottom line...

Different grass man. I deal with St. Augustine which grows from stolons. It does get matted down from foot traffic but not entirely because of lack of N. And we cut our grass at 3 1/2 to 4 inches.

Here in Central Florida treating only St. Augustine grass I am only worried about one thing through May and October and that is preventing and controlling chinchbugs.

I've seen resistance to every product on the market, excluding Aloft which is a new product this year. I haven't tried it but hell with the fert. cost now days I can't afford it.

Bottom line is any application is no gaurantee to control chinchbugs in this area. A follow must be done to ensure control and 30% of the time a retreat is needed. At least that was for me last year. I'm hoping to get that down to 10% this year.

Chinchbugs are more prone to infest and damage Nitrogen rich lawns. I've seen proof of this first hand last year when the chinchbugs damaged a perferct circle on a fairy ring.

With my fert program I should be able to apply very little N June through September and still have very healthy green lawns.