PDA

View Full Version : nice clothes?

Mike M
04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I was finishing up a job today, and the homeowner said, "Oh, I thought you were one of my landscaper's helpers."

Okay, so I was holding a shovel at the moment and my hat was covering my face. But still!!

What the heck looks really nice and works well for trenching, etc. I've been wearing polo t-shirts but I guess that makes me look like a laborer. Long shirts don't stay tucked in.

Sorry in advance for this stupid question.

irrig8r
04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
You know, it's all about attitudes, both yours and theirs.

Do you feel a sense of shame because you're earning your living using a shovel?

I was on a job about 10 years ago and this old time Italian plumber working at the same residence came up to me and thought he'd have a laugh at my expense...

"Tools of ignorance" he said, with a big grin.

"Huh?" I asked.

"My pop always told me, learn a skill or you'll be stuck using tools of ignorance" he said.

"So," I replied, "let me get this straight... you'd rather be inside unstopping a toilet than working out here in the sunshine and fresh air digging around a sprinkler head?"

His expression changed and he walked away without saying another word.

Now, this is probably gonna be interpreted some way or another as politically incorrect, but maybe your customer just wasn't used to seeing a gabacho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabacho) break an honest sweat.

Pro-Scapes
04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
We have company t shirts and either wear shorts or jeans while working. Meetings are usually done in kahki pants and a company polo shirt.

Clients are well aware before they hire me that I am on site and working for every installation.

irrig8r
04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Company shirt- yes.

Khaki pants- no thanks.

I used to wear shorts more... now I'm back to jeans. No holes, relatively clean.

And I always keep a change of shirt (or two) in the truck during the summer.

Eden Lights
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Full button up shirts, Plain front khakis pants or shorts, no cargo pockets, no jeans, shirts always tucked in, long pants on all 1st meetings. This is our basic look, no exceptions.

Eden Lights
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
You know, it's all about attitudes, both yours and theirs.

Do you feel a sense of shame because you're earning your living using a shovel?

I was on a job about 10 years ago and this old time Italian plumber working at the same residence came up to me and thought he'd have a laugh at my expense...

"Huh?" I asked.

"My pop always told me, learn a skill or you'll be stuck using tools of ignorance" he said.

"So," I replied, "let me get this straight... you'd rather be inside unstopping a toilet than working out here in the sunshine and fresh air digging around a sprinkler head?"

His expression changed and he walked away without saying another word.

Now, this is probably gonna be interpreted some way or another as politically incorrect, but maybe your customer just wasn't used to seeing a gabacho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabacho) break an honest sweat.

This reminds me of a new house I had a few years back, when I had a plumbing problem I went to great lengths to try to get the orginal plumber back out, he said no thanks I only work on pre-poop homes Sorry.

lifetree
04-21-2008, 11:34 PM
... I was on a job about 10 years ago and this old time Italian plumber working at the same residence came up to me and thought he'd have a laugh at my expense...

"Huh?" I asked.

His expression changed and he walked away without saying another word. ...

Good for you, served him right !!

Lite4
04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
company shirt, sleeve length depending on temperature. Khaki pants and work boots. shirt is always tucked in. I always try to promote a professional image to my customers and potentials.

Mike M
04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm a long sleeve button-down guy, but my shirts won't stay tucked. Demo's are the hardest.

I also hate shorts, but it's so flippin hot here.

Lite4
04-21-2008, 11:52 PM
buy a tighter belt.

MJS
04-21-2008, 11:55 PM
I wear a green canvas button-up shirt (tucked in) with a pair of decent looking blue jeans. I have gotten several compliments from customers for that - I think they appreciate it when guys go out of their way to look professional while on the job.

Pro-Scapes
04-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Full button up shirts, Plain front khakis pants or shorts, no cargo pockets, no jeans, shirts always tucked in, long pants on all 1st meetings. This is our basic look, no exceptions.

We always do long pants as well for initial meetings. Its too hot and humid here for full button ups while in the trenches in the summer. I change shirts several times a day as needed to maintain a clean appearance.

Mike M
04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
buy a tighter belt.

It's these jeans. They all are made so baggy, even my Carharts. I run around like a punk crossing an expressway, holding on to my pants.

The tight belt isn't enough.

Lite4
04-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Start eating at Mcdonalds everyday. You will fill those pants right out. However, that creates a whole new set of problems. Just say NO to CRACK.

Summit L & D
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
It's these jeans. They all are made so baggy, even my Carharts. I run around like a punk crossing an expressway, holding on to my pants.

The tight belt isn't enough.

You might try a "big and tall" store. There is a chance that you could get some shirts that are longer.

-Josiah

Pro-Scapes
04-22-2008, 12:49 AM
You might try a "big and tall" store. There is a chance that you could get some shirts that are longer.

-Josiah

I agree. When I order company shirts I always specify TALL... It really helps but Mike is a short one if I rememeber right. Sounds like he needs some good ol fashioned suspenders.

The Lighting Geek
04-22-2008, 12:51 AM
OK, can't wait on this one: 5.11 tactical pants or shorts (Tundra color) embroidered on the side cargo pockets, button up short/long sleeve tactical shirt (Coyote Brown color) embroidered with logos, black web belt, black 5.11 Atac tactical boots, Black ball cap logoed, and assault vests of course. Laugh if want but everyone tells us we like professionals.....Battling the forces of darkness everywhere!

we are going to put that on the back of my trailers along with the picture of us

Pro-Scapes
04-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Tommy do you actually wear that during installs ? Man you wouldnt last 2 min in this humidity in that get up.

I miss cali so bad sometimes... seems mostly in the Summer!

The Lighting Geek
04-22-2008, 01:48 AM
yes we do. They are designed for the worst environments, especially humidity. The shirts are vented across the entire back and under the arms. The pants have pockets on the knee for pads. The knees and seat of the pants are double thickness. We don't wear the vests in the summer except at night.

sprinkler guy
04-22-2008, 03:03 AM
OK, can't wait on this one: 5.11 tactical pants or shorts (Tundra color) embroidered on the side cargo pockets, button up short/long sleeve tactical shirt (Coyote Brown color) embroidered with logos, black web belt, black 5.11 Atac tactical boots, Black ball cap logoed, and assault vests of course. Laugh if want but everyone tells us we like professionals.....Battling the forces of darkness everywhere!

we are going to put that on the back of my trailers along with the picture of us

Tommy,

Where did you get your gear? I was about to pull the trigger on some new t-shirts, but your get-up sounds intriguing. I wear a logoed t-shirt, cargo shorts (I find the pockets handy), and waterproof hiking boots by Columbia. I always wear a double-pouch tool belt on installs, with a hangar for a mallet, and a holster for a drill gun when hanging transformers. Since I just hired a guy, I want us matching.

Mike M
04-22-2008, 07:32 AM
I can understand consults & aiming, but for demo's and trenching, mounting, etc, everything is on knees then up then on knees, tight spaces, etc. Tool belts suck and shirts pull out.

Tommy mentioned vented shirts, I'm thinking about trying those fly-fishing vented shirts, maybe even a vest with pockets. That way if biz is slow I can go fishing. Anyone try using a vest for hardware?

Another idea is those Hawaiian shirts. Tommy said that would go with my island theme. I could get away with carrying mixed drinks in a glass with one of those little umbrellas. For some reason Chris J comes to mind.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-22-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/search_results.jsp?SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EbackupSearchFor=mastercraft+cliptech&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EsearchTextColumn=FT_ANY_TEXT_COLUMN&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EsearchTextOperator=and&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EATR_Label=Tool+Holders+%26+Belts&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EdrillDownColumns=ATR_Label&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EmaxRows_cd=10&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EobjectTypes=PRODUCT&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3Epath=%2FAssortments%2FProductAssortmentManagers%2FWebStore&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EsearchFor=mastercraft+cliptech&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EfirstRow=&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443284888&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077&bmForm=form_simple_search&bmFormID=1208866868961&bmUID=1208866868961&bmHash=521f06a1951ed3295d294db95af6d0ba3a90961c

This is one of the most innovative and effective "tool belt systems" I have ever seen or used. Every component is removable from the belt and the combinations are endless... there are more components available then this one web page shows. I love this system.

irrig8r
04-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey James,
That Canadian Tire webpage asks first for my postal code.... and it won't let me in until I give one...

The Lighting Geek
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I get my stuff at http://www.511tactical.com

JoeyD
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Tommy do you actually wear that during installs ? Man you wouldnt last 2 min in this humidity in that get up.

I miss cali so bad sometimes... seems mostly in the Summer!

Billy, would you say that to a special ops fighter in Iraq?? The Geek can handle the heat my friend!!! Heat or no heat, the tactical gear saves lives!!! GO GET EM TOMMY!!! :laugh::drinkup:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey James,
That Canadian Tire webpage asks first for my postal code.... and it won't let me in until I give one...

Hey I never thought of that... seems pretty small minded of them doesnt it? There is a big world out there waiting to buy and you can only get Mastercraft products from Canadian Tire.

If you want to check it out, use this one P1L 1P8

Regards

bobcat52
04-22-2008, 12:01 PM
3-piece suits, no exceptions...

Chris J
04-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Collared, logoed shirts and either clean newer jeans or slacks for the initial meeting. Shoes OFF before going inside! Shorts and logoed tshirts for the install. I hold off on the Hawaiian shirts and umbrella drinks until the nighttime adjustment. Then we can sit back and relax together with a Tequilas sunrise while we admire the work.

MarkOlex
04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Collared, logoed shirts and either clean newer jeans or slacks for the initial meeting. Shoes OFF before going inside! Shorts and logoed tshirts for the install. I hold off on the Hawaiian shirts and umbrella drinks until the nighttime adjustment. Then we can sit back and relax together with a Tequilas sunrise while we admire the work.

I like the approach Chris takes.

Mike M
04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Okay. Sears has the cliptech tool belt. Just found it online.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Okay. Sears has the cliptech tool belt. Just found it online.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00948385000P?vName=Tools&cName=Hand+Tools%2C+Carpentry&sName=Tool+Aprons%2C+Pouches+%26+Accessories

Yep, that is the one.... Best darned tool belt system I have ever found or used. I love it. large compartments, pockets for everything and the units clip on and off the belt with ease. I use suspenders on mine as when I climb a tree I can have tons of equipment and tools hanging off me.

Dont even think about not trying this thing out... It rocks.

Chris J
04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks Mark. It's just me being me; and somehow it works!

Mike M
04-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm combining looks. Jame's cool tech-belt and Chris's silk Hawaiian shirt with mixed drink and little umbrella. Consultations, demo's, trenching, aiming, service calls, sitting around doing paper work, grocery shopping.

irrig8r
04-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Nice! Some wraparound shades oughta tie the two looks together well.

Dunlaps LawnCare
04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
company shirt

David Gretzmier
04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I have several shirts I can wear with embroidered logo's, depending on weather, sweatshirts, sweaters, hoodies, long sleeve t's and short sleeve t's. I also have grey for working landscape lights and red for Christmas. I also have jackets and coats with logo. employees typically have washable canvas coats and grey t's with logo. I'm ok with jeans, jean shorts or khaki shorts with no holes for working, nice jeans or khaki's for bids. water proof work boots always.

I must wear my belt tight. I never have untucked problems. my guys do, so I teach them how to use a belt to keep their pants up and thier shirt from getting untucked. you just keep going to the tighter notch. If they run out of notches, I make a new one.

Mike M
04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I get my belt cutting in my gut and the shirt still comes out. Too many up and down tasks.