PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Job??

cwmiller928
04-21-2008, 09:29 PM
What do you guys think is a good rate per yard of mulch installed for a solo guy like myself?? How much do i add to my price for the mulch?

ProStreetCamaro
04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
$100 per yard and that includes everything.

Cost of the mulch
cutting bed lines
cleaning out the beds if needed
weeding the beds if needed
trimming shrubs if needed

06HD BOSS
04-21-2008, 09:41 PM
depends what your paying for it. im payin 38 a yard and getting 65-75 to install it.

-unlike prostreet. my price is just for laying, no prep work

kacj777
04-21-2008, 11:03 PM
I charge $30 an hr. they supply the mulch. I don't know if thats to much or to little.

06HD BOSS
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
I charge $30 an hr. they supply the mulch. I don't know if thats to much or to little.
if it pays your bills great. that wouldnt work here.

Clapper&Company
04-21-2008, 11:19 PM
We bill out $75 yard that includes every thing

SongBird LawnCare
04-23-2008, 05:16 PM
depends what your paying for it. im payin 38 a yard and getting 65-75 to install it.

-unlike prostreet. my price is just for laying, no prep work

Does this mean that your getting 103-113 total?... or does the 65-75 include the cost and the install?

I have, if my calculations are correct... 11 yards to install.. and i'm trying to figure if my rates for labor are right.. I think i'm low..

thanks

A-Land
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
how long does it take you guys to install a yard? Using what equipment?

Song Bird
04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
We have the same problem right now. Trying to figure out how to price a mulch job.
We will need to cover 473 sq feet (52.5 yards) total over 10 different area's in a yard that is less than a 1/2 an acre.
We can get the mulch free.
One area we will be doing from scratch, cleaning away the sod, putting down newspaper, edging (we are charging her cost we payed per foot, plus tax), and then mulch.
A second bed does not have edging either but the home owner does not want it, so we will just cut and edge in with a spade, clean out the ingrowing grass, lay down paper and mulch.
The third bed will need compost added badly, it is a bricked in window bed, the soil is hard and drys out badly, it is also shaded. She wants to grow flowers in it badly. So I will have to compost it (this I have from my worm beds), then mulch and plant it or plant then mulch. I have to find a shade tolerant, low water needed annual, any ideas.
The rest of the beds just need some weed pulling and then mulching.
The owner wants at least 1" deep.
The job will be doing by me, my husband and the homeowner wants to help too. She is on a fixed income. We living in NE, Iowa. We will be mowing and trimming for her all summer. We want to do the job right, make some money but not over charge.
We have though about doing it by the yard plus the cost of the edging. When we did her clean up we charged her 15$ an hour for just my husband doing the job (leaf raking, rock power brooming) she did help during the 3 hours too.
We do not want to charge her $30. (for two of us working) and hour, it just seems high, though I know it is going to be a lot of work on part of it.
HELP! How would you charge the job, please I would like feedback from those willing to realize we are in NE Iowa, a low income area, working for a Sr. on a fixed income. She will get an over all 5$ off for the job because she is a Sr. that is our policy.

A-Land
04-24-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't know how your husband can make it on $15 an hour. Charge going rate, say $40-60 an hour for each of you. $80 an hour for the both of you is more than fair, figuring you probably don't have insurance or much overhead.

Look at it this way. If you loose half your work, and charge going rate, you will actually make more. And you will have more time to be with your husband :)

Song Bird
04-24-2008, 12:45 AM
My husband currently makes less than $15.00 per hour at his present full time job. He currently delivers L.P., fills anhydrous tanks, does custom spraying and any other odd jobs the Co-op he works for wants him to do. This is one of the big reasons he wants to start this business. He wants to be independent and still make a living at something he he will enjoy.
I am also currently just making a little over $15.00 and hour at my job.
So $15.00 is a pay raise for him, though not for me.
Yes we have full insurance for the business!
Other insurance we purchase though my full time job for health.
We have no employees other than our family.
So no we do not have a lot of overhead other than a loan we took out to help us get going.
We are just starting out.
We are hoping the business will take off and he can leave his current job.
But for now we are trying to fit in the new business jobs around both of our current full time jobs.
So we do not want to loose half our work, because so far we only have two full time summer jobs to do.

Marek13
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I am solo guy but landscape and mulch installs, I usually have my father help me.
I did about 20 medium mulch jobs and 6 or 8 jobs last year. This year little but slower (people try to save)
Here in NJ I usually get 65-85 per yard installed but I always take to acct:
1) Size of the job (a 2 yards in 30 different beds or 10 yards continuous)
2) Delivery
3) Obstacles (hills, how far do I have to haul it in the wheel borrow)
4) Prep (edging, landscape fabric install, and round up)
5) Special requests from homeowner

F.S Lawn Care
04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
We get double shred for $19 a yard. We charge 60-65 for a normal hassle free property, meaning no overly steep slopes and whatnot. That of course does not include edging or bed prep.

Chilehead
04-24-2008, 11:54 PM
I take the overhead (price of mulch, delivery/gas, sales tax) and add that to my general hourly rate per cubic yard installed. The formula looks like O+ (L/1)= FINAL PRICE

grandview (2006)
04-24-2008, 11:58 PM
If it's just mulch it's 80.00 a yard for mulch and installed extra work more,of course. Colored mulch is 10.00 a yard more.

A-Land
04-25-2008, 12:02 AM
how long does it take one guy to spread one yard, say, on average??

memac259
04-25-2008, 11:21 PM
50 minutes

SOSINC
04-26-2008, 12:22 AM
This is a good post!

How do you guys figure up on time spent spreading mulch?

What way are you going to be spreading it, By Skidsteer, Shoveling out of a bed of a truck, or from a wheelbarrow?

When it a fast and easy job, it may mean easy money but when you got to wheelbarrow it to every place you are going, well then the labor rate will be a bit higher than compared to using a skidsteer.

For me, one guy shoveling one yard of mulch out of a bed of a truck takes a hour.

Now two guys, one using a skid steer and the other one spreading it out, I can get about 7.5 to 9 yards in a hour.

So each way of spreading mulch will have a different rate, would it not?

JShe8918
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM
i have a mulch job for 1400 sq. ft. i was thinking of charging 110 per yard. If i do that then it would include weeding beds, and bed edging. Is this to steep. Also what is the going rate for planting a bush in a 5 gallon container. and also transplanting like a small crape myrtle and a medium lorapetulam

Song Bird
04-27-2008, 12:27 PM
We finally decided to charge $30 per yard for a mulching job. That cost includes weeding, laying down newspaper to help keep weeds down, putting down mulch, cutting edges, installing, edging, transplanting plants, planting plants, adding compost into the beds.
We will be charging cost plus, plus tax for materials used on the job we have to purchase for the job site.

dKoester
04-27-2008, 02:41 PM
In other words, You aren't making that much. What, you don't charge for delivery, we do its 80 bucks per 10 yard load.

Song Bird
04-27-2008, 11:46 PM
As far as delivery charge goes if we have to pay to have it delivered we will pass that cost on. If we pick it up it will depend on where we have to purchase the materials vs. the location of the job. Most of the time we will be making the mulch our selves or picking it up free from a location that has it for free. So if we are able to just pick it up on the way if we get the free stuff or we load it from home and go I just figure there is no extra cost to us than our normal travel time. That may change in time as fuel cost go up.
We are just starting out so we are still trying to figure out our cost vs. what we should charge.
We live in a rural area and a very low income area also. So far most of our clients are Sr. on fixed low incomes so charging much more than we do would not get us their business. Yes I know some have "big" money but around here most of them do not, that is why they are here. The cost of living is lower, though they still struggle to make ends meet. They want to keep their properties clean, neat and looking nice. Many do not have family close to help and when they can not do it themselves they try and find someone whom they can afford to do the job.
We feel if we can provide this service, still "make" some money, yes maybe not much. But enough to cover our bills, plus have a happy customer, who will pass on the word of our good work, that might bring in more customers, then we are doing our job.
Right now, the business is not our full time income. Both my husband and I work full time jobs beyond this. So this money is above and beyond. Yes our hope is that my husband will be able to stop working his current full time job to do just the lawn care. If and when this will happen, who know. Time will tell.
So do not jump on me about my fee's. They are we feel fair for our area. Do not judge our "book" or "fees" until you have "lived in or walked in our shoes or lives".

escient
04-28-2008, 02:07 AM
As far as delivery charge goes if we have to pay to have it delivered we will pass that cost on. If we pick it up it will depend on where we have to purchase the materials vs. the location of the job. Most of the time we will be making the mulch our selves or picking it up free from a location that has it for free. So if we are able to just pick it up on the way if we get the free stuff or we load it from home and go I just figure there is no extra cost to us than our normal travel time. That may change in time as fuel cost go up.
We are just starting out so we are still trying to figure out our cost vs. what we should charge.
We live in a rural area and a very low income area also. So far most of our clients are Sr. on fixed low incomes so charging much more than we do would not get us their business. Yes I know some have "big" money but around here most of them do not, that is why they are here. The cost of living is lower, though they still struggle to make ends meet. They want to keep their properties clean, neat and looking nice. Many do not have family close to help and when they can not do it themselves they try and find someone whom they can afford to do the job.
We feel if we can provide this service, still "make" some money, yes maybe not much. But enough to cover our bills, plus have a happy customer, who will pass on the word of our good work, that might bring in more customers, then we are doing our job.
Right now, the business is not our full time income. Both my husband and I work full time jobs beyond this. So this money is above and beyond. Yes our hope is that my husband will be able to stop working his current full time job to do just the lawn care. If and when this will happen, who know. Time will tell.
So do not jump on me about my fee's. They are we feel fair for our area. Do not judge our "book" or "fees" until you have "lived in or walked in our shoes or lives".

This is the one thing you honestly have to learn on your own - not because no one can help you, but because no one here lives in Elgin, Iowa.

What you'll find out, is that the more you charge, the more you'll find people "balk" at your prices.

If that customer jumped at your price, go a little higher next time.

It's when you get that first customer who "balks", you can always "back track" and back off your price just a wee bit. There's NOTHING wrong with doing that a time or two..

Then, once you know what you should charge... Bid each job with confidence - like "hey, you called me; If you want ME to do it, this is how much." Obviously you wouldn't say that, but you get the gist.

As tacky as it may sound, get someone to estimate YOUR property for mulch - find out what they charge. Your best marketing tool is to know your competitors.

J&R Landscaping
04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Depending on the type of mulch and the distance its being delivered affects my pricing. I'm between $75-100 per yard installed. Minor weeding may be included. Edging is additional.

Dahoopd
05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
$100 per yard and that includes everything.

Cost of the mulch
cutting bed lines
cleaning out the beds if needed
weeding the beds if needed
trimming shrubs if needed

I am a new guy learning the business and would like to know: does the $100 include all listed? How many guys to do it if there is minimal weeds but there is 40 foot of edge to be created? And how much do you pay each guy. I cant see making money off all of that if everything is included. I am not being a smart arse, just trying to learn.