PDA

View Full Version : do you shake hands with potential clients

lawnranger44
12-06-2001, 10:31 AM
Last night my brother, my dad and I went over to this lady's house. She got our flyer and she was wondering if we would get some stuff in her attic for her. I figured, sure why not, if we do this she might want us for mowing in the spring.
So anyway we show up and I hold out my hand and introduce myself and she looked at my hand like it was on fire. She just wouldn't shake hands with me! I can't believe how disrespectful some people can be!
:angry:

So any way my question is: do you shake hands with potential clients? I think you should it is the polite, professional, respectful thing to do.

scott's turf
12-06-2001, 10:34 AM
Always, but I have had some limp fish handshakes from some women. What out for those kind!!

turfquip
12-06-2001, 10:43 AM
Sometimes its appropriate to shake hands with a new business prospect...but not always. The key is to not be too aggressive. Don't assume everybody wants to shake your hand. I often would prefer NOT to shake someones hand.

Watch for visual clues I guess. If it is a way a person normally conducts themselves throughout the course of the day then you'll know it. Some people shake hands too frequently though too.

parkwest
12-06-2001, 10:54 AM
Sorry boys,

Contrary to your public school education, men and women are different and dealing with men should be handled differently than women. A manly handshake should be implemented using a strong firm grip. If a woman offers you her hand, take it lightly by the fingers. Do not try to get a firm thumb-to-thumb grip on a womans hand.

In this country we used to have a law against men uninvitingly touching a woman without her permission, with a fine equal to about $10,000.00 fine paid to the woman.

65hoss
12-06-2001, 02:30 PM
For a man I always stick my hand out for the handshake. Women I don't. If I meet a woman and she sticks her hand out first then I shake. If not, I don't iniate it. Some women do, some women don't.

Isn't that how it always is? :D

Kent Lawns
12-06-2001, 03:38 PM
65hoss has it about exactly right:

Extend your hand to a gentleman.
Wait for a lady to extend hers.

scott's turf
12-06-2001, 03:55 PM
Women I slap on the butt and men I give hig five's.

scott's turf
12-06-2001, 03:55 PM
high fives

kutnkru
12-06-2001, 05:07 PM
I would shake their hands if they put them out. I do just like TQ said and wait for the signal or the look of anticipated greetings I guess -LOL!!!

The other thing that I do is ALWAYS call my clients Mr or Mrs first and then I will call them by their first name afterwards if they have requested I use it.

This usually gets a smile or a laff. After a few times of crossing paths people seem to get used to the intial acknowledgement of formality and then know it goes to a casual manner if they have requested it without having to say a word.

I too believe it the respectful thing to do but try to see how they perceive it first.

Kris

Green Care
12-06-2001, 06:22 PM
I shake hands only if they act first.

lawrence stone
12-06-2001, 06:42 PM
Never shake the left hand of someone from Somalia for that is the hand they use for personal hygiene.

They are so poor they have no TP.

groundsguy1970
12-06-2001, 06:47 PM
Maybe the woman is afraid of anthrax??? Or maybe you are NOT the ladies man you may have thought!
;)

LAWNGODFATHER
12-06-2001, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by scott's turf

So let me guess, women you go to jail for assult and men you "high five"

Sounds like you like to spend a lot of time in jail with bubba.

I'll try to shake the hand of any client, women want equal rights so I treat them equally.

KirbysLawn
12-06-2001, 08:12 PM
I shake hands only when it is necessary. This is one tradition I wish would go away, hate it.

mowerconsultant
12-06-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
I shake hands only when it is necessary. This is one tradition I wish would go away, hate it.

Ray,
Your sounding like Raford !!!!!!
lol

Later
Pj

GreenQuest Lawn
12-06-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Kent Lawns
65hoss has it about exactly right:

Extend your hand to a gentleman.
Wait for a lady to extend hers.

Thats how it should be done.

cantoo
12-06-2001, 09:30 PM
In my job I have to shake hands on a regular basis. Several years ago I broke my hand while snowmobiling, I have since had this bone rebroke several times by too agressive hand shakes. It's been a year now and I think it is finally healing properly, I wish this tradition would go away to0.

PRECISION LC
12-07-2001, 01:00 AM
Of course. It is respectful, professional, and almost creates somekind of bond between you both, almost likeyou know eachother.
kyle:blob2:

AVRECON
12-07-2001, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by scott's turf
Hell, thats what I always do, cool!!!:D

trimmer
12-07-2001, 01:45 PM
I always shake hands with people, I believe shaking hands shows a sign of honesty. Women I don't usually shake hands with, they usually like a hug.